Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since everyone seems so in favor of tossing away their riding rights to a tiered licensing system, I am left wondering how many would advocate a similar system for firearms....?

By the twisted logic of those in favor of the tier system, the 9mm Auto is surely the "literbike" of the handgun world.

How many of you would you be in favor of having to work your way up the ladder to it's ownership as well... :idunno:

And how many think this tiered system would have any effect on gun violence... :idunno:

Bring it...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
There already is one.

And it was the first thing I thought of too. The chipping away at the right of a relatively small group to do something. :mad:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OK, who said we are taking away your right to ride??? You are interpreting this the wrong way.

It's my opinion that a drivers license is a privelege, not a right. It's something you have to earn, and learn.

Guns are the same way (and I'll try to leave my opinions on said 9 mm's and M-16's and AK-47's out of this).

Where I grew up and hunted all the while I lived there, you needed the same qualifications to buy a $30 BB gun as you needed to buy a 30.06 to bring down a moose. I am not familiar with gun laws in the States, but can a 16 or 17 year old go in a store and buy any fire-arm he wants?? You guys have an ammendment on the "Right to bear arms" and I agree with that, to a point. If you have proven you are proficient with a .410 stotgun, you should be permitted to move up to a 10 or 12 guage. If you have proven you can handle a small bore rifle, you should be able to move up to a bigger hunting rifle (this is a little different because a .22 is still dangerous over a mile, right)

Now, I want your opinion of a 17 year old immature teenager let loose with a high powered rifle and no clue how to use it. Take this answer, and transfer it to the same kid jumping on a 'Blade or R-1 or ZX-10 R or a 'Busa or even a XX with a Two Bros pipe (sorry, I had to get that in there :smilebig: ).

See my point??

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Show me where the tiered system is better, and I'll come a little closer to seeing your point, until then it's all conjecture used to support an agenda that is pro-government intrusion.... :twocents:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
OK, so for right now, is it safe to assume that you believe that on his 16th birthday, any snotty-nosed semi-sensible immature teenager (as opposed to 16 year olds who seem to be matured years beyond their time on this earth, and yes, they do exist) should be able to go buy an CBR1000RR and a 9MM (in your definition, the 'Blade of guns) and be cut loose to do as they wish??

(Edited for spelling)

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Newfie TLR said:
OK, so for right now, is it safe to assume that you believe that on his 16th birthday, any snotty-nosed semi-sensible immature teenager (as opposed to 16 year olds who seem to be matured years beyond their time on this earth, and yes, they do exist) should be able to go buy an CBR1000RR and a 9MM (in your definition, the 'Blade of guns) and be cut loose to do as they wish??

(Edited for spelling)
You aren't helping to explain your POV by creating a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist.....that's called hype... :crap:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Baketech said:
You aren't helping to explain your POV by creating a hypothetical situation that doesn't exist.....that's called hype... :crap:
What's hypothetical about it?? I asked if it can be done?? That's a simple yes or no answer. :idunno:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
We have a 2 tiered system. Adults and minors. Most states have restrictions on long gun ownership for minors. And prohibition on ownership of handguns for minors (that might even be Federal). So no I do not support a 16 year old having an Uzi. An adult though should own and be responsible for the gun of choice.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Newfie TLR said:
What's hypothetical about it?? I asked if it can be done?? That's a simple yes or no answer. :idunno:
No, you asked if I believed that they should be able to do these hypothetical things...not whether it was actually possible.... :idunno:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
No.

And it's as stupid as your hypotheticals.

Experience and responsibility have nothing to do with age when it comes to bikes or firearms.

·
Registered
529 Posts
sheepofblue said:
We have a 2 tiered system. Adults and minors. Most states have restrictions on long gun ownership for minors. And prohibition on ownership of handguns for minors (that might even be Federal). So no I do not support a 16 year old having an Uzi. An adult though should own and be responsible for the gun of choice.
correct. federal. you must be 18 to own a long gun, and 21 to own a handgun. hoever, you can be 18 and be issued a weapon in the military or be 18 in some states, and be issued a duty weapon as a police officer. at the end of the shift, the duty weapon has to stay at the department.

as for tiered licensing for vehicles: IMHO, it may or may not result in less motor vehicle fatalities. a kid can kill themselves on a 125cc motorcycle, just as easy as a 1000cc bike. granted, there's a large HP difference, but the 125cc's still go fast and there are hop-up parts for all these bikes in the tiered licensing areas. (Europe)

if you go to some of the websites, the tiering is also acompanied by speed limits. the kids brag how they can make their 50cc scooter go 55 miles an hour, when by law, they're only supposed to go 35 mph and no greater.

i agree in the fact that i do not feel the need to give the government more control than they already have. if you let them govern the size of your bike, based on your age, then how long before they re-write the laws to tell you when you can ride, or what you can ride, as an adult? :thumbd:

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
luvtolean said:
snip...........no.......snip
OK, thanks for the answer.
luvtolean said:
snip...........Experience and responsibility have nothing to do with age when it comes to bikes or firearms.
This is true, but some of us do expect an adult with many more years under his belt to be more sensible, but this is exacyly some sort of proof of training & experience is good no matter what dangerous sport you venture into, right??.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Rigor said:
correct. federal. you must be 18 to own a long gun, and 21 to own a handgun. hoever, you can be 18 and be issued a weapon in the military or be 18 in some states, and be issued a duty weapon as a police officer. at the end of the shift, the duty weapon has to stay at the department.
I bought my first handgun on my 18th birthday.

·
Registered
529 Posts
luvtolean said:
Experience and responsibility have nothing to do with age when it comes to bikes or firearms.
i disagree on this.
1.) would you rather trust a 16 year old kid that ridden motocross since he's been 5 over a 24 year old that's never ridden a day in his life?

or

2.) would you trust a 16 year old with a rifle that's successfully completed a state hunter's safety course, over a 24 year old that just bought a gun and id showing his buddies?

i think experience says a lot, regardless of age in some cases.

·
Registered
529 Posts
BDA116 said:
I bought my first handgun on my 18th birthday.
i stand corrected. feds say you must be 21 to buy a handgun from a federally licensed gun dealer.

From Dealers
Provided that federal law and the laws of both the dealer`s and purchaser`s states and localities are complied with:

An individual 21 years of age or older may acquire a handgun from a dealer federally licensed to sell firearms in the individual`s state of residence An individual 18 years of age or older may purchase a rifle or shotgun from a federally licensed dealer in any state
It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer a firearm unless the federal firearms licensee receives notice of approval from a prescribed source approving the transfer.

Sale of a firearm by a federally licensed dealer must be documented by a federal form 4473, which identifies and includes other information about the purchaser, and records the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. Sales to an individual of multiple handguns within a five-day period require dealer notification to the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. Violations of dealer record keeping requirements are punishable by a penalty of up to $1000 and one year`s imprisonment.

Under federal law supported by the National Rifle Association, the use of a firearm in a violent or drug-trafficking crime is punishable by a mandatory prison sentence of up to 20 years. A second conviction, if the firearm is a machine gun or is equipped with a silencer, brings life imprisonment without release. Violating firearms laws should lead to very real punishment for violent criminals, but the laws first must be enforced.

Ineligible Persons
The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

-- Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
-- Fugitives from justice.
-- Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
-- Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
-- Illegal aliens.
-- Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
-- Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
-- Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
-- Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.-- Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
-- Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Rigor said:
i disagree on this.
1.) would you rather trust a 16 year old kid that ridden motocross since he's been 5 over a 24 year old that's never ridden a day in his life?

or

2.) would you trust a 16 year old with a rifle that's successfully completed a state hunter's safety course, over a 24 year old that just bought a gun and id showing his buddies?

i think experience says a lot, regardless of age in some cases.
Re-read my post. I agree. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts