Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cam chain is wore out, do I need anything else besides just the new chain when I go to replace it? Also, can somebody tell me how to get the timing right once I get my motor put back together? and finally, Can somebody with a service manual tell me what the measurements are supposed to be on my valves? I'm doing a valve adjustment and need to figure out what size of shims I need. Thanks for all of your help again.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Buy the manual, it has good pics of what the timing marks on the crank and cams look like.
Change the cam chain, both guides and put in a manual tensioner from A.P.E. while you are at it.
You will nned a good set of feeler gauges and a dial micrometer to figure out the shims.
Swap shims around, you may have most of what you need. Then take the ones that don't fit with you to your dealer and talk to the SERVICE guy. He may swap the shims for cheap or FREE.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has like 15,000 miles on it. How do you tell if it's wore out? A friend of mine is helping work on it and is pretty smart with bikes told me It was about shot and I should replace it while we have the motor pulled.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Uh, why did you pull the engine out in the first place? Unless something major went wrong there is no way the cam chain is bad at a paltry 15,000 miles. In fact, nothing should be wrong with it whatsoever. Maybe check the valve clearances, but that can be done with the engine in the frame and the valves typically aren't out of spec at 15,000 miles.
Sounds like you're doing a whole lot of work for nothing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's a long story.... I managed to get a chunk of aluminum off of the valve cover dropped down into my cylinder while i was changing spark plugs. So you don't think I need to get a cam chain?

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
Oh, didn't even make the connection with that other thread and your screen name.
I don't see any reason your bike would need a new chain.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I don't think it would need a chain based on mileage. There would have to be something else wrong. 50k on my 929 chain is still fine. My friend's 929 has 70k on it and no problem with the chain either.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My cam chain is getting very noisy now. valve clearances are correct and the mechanical tensioner is correctly adjusted but the noise is getting worse. Bike has just done 55,000 miles, I belive the chain and sprockets have to changed as a set, DO I need to changed the two guides as well? I suppose it makes sense, they can't be that much. I've also been told this is all possible with the engine in the frame?? anybody actually done it??

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
paulwhit99 said:
My cam chain is getting very noisy now. valve clearances are correct and the mechanical tensioner is correctly adjusted but the noise is getting worse. Bike has just done 55,000 miles, I belive the chain and sprockets have to changed as a set, DO I need to changed the two guides as well? I suppose it makes sense, they can't be that much. I've also been told this is all possible with the engine in the frame?? anybody actually done it??
Not sure if you're using a manual cam chain tensioner or the stocker, if it's a manual from APE, double check the setting on it, and if a stocker, replace it. There should be no need to replace the chain or sprockets.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bike's almost back together, waiting on the APE cam chain tensioner to show up hopefully tomorrow. I had it where it sounded like it was running good but i could hear the cam chain slapping around so I shut it right back off. Hoping this new tensioner fixes that and then HOPEFULLY I will be good to go.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it's finally back together and the tensioner finally fixed what is hopefully the last of the problems, no more rattle. I haven't gotten to completely test it out but i let it for several minutes and gave it a few good revs with no obvious problems. just plastics and other minor things left hopefull be riding in the next few days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts