Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK So I'm in the UK, never personally been to the States, but I understand in a limited way that it's a sort of given to tip hotel staff, Waiting staff and others in this minimum wage service industry. Almost demanded over there??

So first off "Is this the case"?? And Why? And is it a national thing or is it State dependent depends where you are, sort of thing??

I ask because myself and many others work on the principal that if the service was standard, job done to the expected standard then no tip.
However, if I'm in a restaurant or something and the waitress is ... or seems to be genuinely keen to make your stay a pleasant one, polite, happy, not the miserable shite with the forced smile and will spit in your food if you dare complain that your meal is cold or been kept waiting etc.

So I'm a seeker of knowledge, any help here??:hmm:

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I will leave it to others to explain the whole protocol. However you say minimum wage and it is below that. The tip is part of their pay and as such the employer can legally pay a base wage that is lower than minimum wage. Just an FYI

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So what's minimum wage for?? Is it a law or guideline?:huh:

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
its a law in MOST cases, however they waitress/waiter makes below that due to the fact that in a restraunt you are pretty much expected to tip what I think is 5%. However if the person is an ass I'm often known to leave them nothing at all (why pay extra for crappy service?). At a hotel... well that tiping is only for High Dollar places. If you are at your average Holiday Inn then no tip but if you have a bellboy and he takes your bads up does a good job explaining things (here is the T.V., Here is this here is that if you need anything press whatever on the phone and we'll be there to help ASAP) then normally they get a tip as well. Hope this helps somewhat

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
I like the waitress' that will flirt back with you, sneak you a few extra wings will give me shit when I'm messing with them and treat my wife just as well (believe it or not I have had some that are nice to me and bitches to her). Those ladies always get a really good tip!!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
In some places, if you have a group of 6 or 8 or more, then impose a mandatory gratuity of 15%.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Having worked as a server to pay my way through college I can explain a few things. For one most restaurants treat there wait staff like crap. They pay you $2.50 an hour to wait the tables and do misc side work like prepping the kitchen, cleaning, opening and closing the store. The reason why wait staff put up with this is because they expect the tips from the customers who come in. I don't necessarily agree with it but that is just the way it is in the US and I don't expect it to change ever. Its a great deal for the restaurants and as long is it is legal they will never change this policy.

With that being said an average tip is around 15% of the total on the check; and I have had tips as high as 50% (very unusual) and as low as 10% which I consider a stiff. I have never had no tip.

With the tips that servers make they must now pay the bus staff and the bar staff out of their own tips.

Allmost every server that works in a big city knows to watch out for the UK tourists because they don't know how to tip. In many restaurants in touristy locations the tip is included in the check. It will be clearly labeled on the check as gratuity included etc. If you get a check like this then you can tip more if you like but it is not needed.

Again I agree that it is a poor system and the only people who win are the restaurants who get themselves labor for almost free. I am just glad that I left that business a long time ago, but I still remember how I paid my way through college and always tip well when the service is good and tip average 15% when the service was less than good. If you are truly not happy with the service speak to the server about it and if that doesn't work then ask to see a manager but don't stiff a server without letting them try to resolve the issue first.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I guess the motivation is that if the server wants to make more money, they must please the patrons more.

I know many girls at hooters, that would come on to guys in a playful way, and score huge tips!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For one most restaurants treat there wait staff like crap. They pay you $2.50 an hour to wait the tables and do misc side work like prepping the kitchen, cleaning, opening and closing the store.
Again I agree that it is a poor system and the only people who win are the restaurants who get themselves labor for almost free.
If the staff allow it to happen then of course the owners will take advantage, I've little sympathy for anyone who willing excepts $2.50/hour, these jobs are filled because they hope to clear alot of money from the tips I guess
With that being said an average tip is around 15% of the total on the check; and I have had tips as high as 50% (very unusual) and as low as 10% which I consider a stiff. I have never had no tip.

With the tips that servers make they must now pay the bus staff and the bar staff out of their own tips.
Well in the UK we tips on 'Excellent service' So good that you actually noticed how pleasant the staff person was, 15% though Hmmmm:idunno:
Allmost every server that works in a big city knows to watch out for the UK tourists because they don't know how to tip.
Well I understand that as I wouldn't have a clue, and as a Brit I'd be constantly thinking about getting mugged, shot, raped .... or all 3 just for 'Going for a Walk':eek:

Seriuosly though, we go to resturants safe in the knowledge that the waiter/waitress is on at least minimum wage which in your money is about $9. so I don't have any worries at all about their family starving because I'm a tight arse:thumb:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Here in NYC you tip EVERYbody. I expect to tip the waitstaff, bellman, valet, concierge, but the guy at Sears who brings the TV out to the car? Come on, that's his job.

Anybody who assists you with ANYthing expects a tip. Anybody who provides any mundane service or favor expects a tip. I can't think of any rediculous examples at the moment but there have been numerous times I've thought "This person is expecting a tip? Are you kidding me?" Maybe this is just NYC, which, at times, doesn't seem congruent with the rest of the country in many things, especially those involving money.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Here in NYC you tip EVERYbody. I expect to tip the waitstaff, bellman, valet, concierge, but the guy at Sears who brings the TV out to the car? Come on, that's his job.

Anybody who assists you with ANYthing expects a tip. Anybody who provides any mundane service or favor expects a tip. I can't think of any rediculous examples at the moment but there have been numerous times I've thought "This person is expecting a tip? Are you kidding me?" Maybe this is just NYC, which, at times, doesn't seem congruent with the rest of the country in many things, especially those involving money.
What about the guy at the Starbucks...they even have a friggin tip jar....WTF!!

The guy at the Subway and Quizno!! Come on!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
$9/Hr for min wage?!?! WTF???? we are getting the shaft over here as far as min wage goes.
Sorry it's not $9 at the currancy pounds-US Dollars exchange rate our Minimum wage is £5.35 or $10.45 in your money:patriot:
To us Minimum wage is supposed to be exactly that, a "Minimum reasonable wage for unskilled workers" that we've had for 10 years now.

No wonder the service industry loves the Yanks over here, you're all too willing to throw 15% at everyone for giving you the time of day ..... SUCKERS!!!:p

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So honestly this whole tip stuff is ok with people??
Or you just suck it up a part of the "Customer Service" a.k.a. "Bend over while we push it in a little bit deeper"?:idunno:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Different customs in different places, Tigger my boy!
I can't think of a time it has ever hurt to hand somebody a little extra. You never know what it may mean to them and there is no harm in showing appreciation.
Now, those who expect something for nothing are another case.
And Mr. Mo is right, NYC is a tip heavy environ.

Conq's rules of tipping are pretty good IMO. Though I agree with RRwanter, no tip doesn't happen very often.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Different customs in different places, Tigger my boy!
I can't think of a time it has ever hurt to hand somebody a little extra. You never know what it may mean to them and there is no harm in showing appreciation.
But this goes back to my original point, that I tip ONLY if the service was excellent as opposed to the service you expect.
If someone carries my bags 'because it's their job' then why the tip? However if that same person was friendly and genuinely helpful with a professional manner then a tip I'm happy to give.
But to tip by default unless the service was completely dreadful then I personally have a major problem:rant:

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
And another thing, what the @#[email protected]% is this new thing for pizza delivery. When you place your order, and then tell the guy you are going to pay with credit card, the asks you on the phone, "Would you like to add a tip now". I am like WTF, I don't have the friggin pizza yet. WTF am I tipping for???

And to answer you qustion tigger, yes, you tip for expected service, really tip for great service, and I have and will stiff them if they pissed me off!!

Here is a story. Whet to a restuarant, the server ignored us forever. Then when he finally shops up to take our order, right in the middle of taking our order, his friends come in, and he leaves us in the middle of us giving him his order. Then we finally give him our drink and appitizer orders. And wait and wait and wait. His friends and a bunch of tables get their stuff before us, even though they came in way after us. So, I was so pissed, I asked for the bill, and we were out of there! No mains, no dessert, just get the !#$$% out. Left a 5c tip!!! So as we are leaving, we are just outside the front door, and he comes running complaining about this tip!!! He is actually swearing me, loud in public. There were people everywhere!! Long story short, I went back in, gave him shit for his extremely poor service, and spoke with his Manager and gave him shit right in front of the whole place. He was very quiet then!! BASTARD!!!

Phew, I feel better now. I am sorry that people don't like their jobs, or don't take it seriously. But I pay the extra money to go to restuarant to BE SERVED!!!! If you don't want to serve me, the piss off and find another job!!!

Any question???

·
Registered
846 Posts
But this goes back to my original point, that I tip ONLY if the service was excellent as opposed to the service you expect.
If someone carries my bags 'because it's their job' then why the tip? However if that same person was friendly and genuinely helpful with a professional manner then a tip I'm happy to give.
But to tip by default unless the service was completely dreadful then I personally have a major problem:rant:
You should watch Reservoir Dogs. Steve Buscemi apparently plays you in that movie.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts