Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I know restaurants the regular tip is 10-20% dependent on class of service.

But I was just wondering whats proper for your barber?
Like in a barber shop you go to ~1 a month or so, for the "regular" haircut (as opposed to layered, beard trims, afro, etc.).

but since this is now a universal tipping thread, feel free to kick out any other tipping guidelines for debate. It's handy to see what is viewed as a tip and non-tip situation, and what some people view as fair/reasonable and absurd.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
A buck or 2 and that's it.

Tipping is earned, not given. I've given nice tips, and I have no problem leaving nothing.

Today at lunch...server messed up our pizza order, I said I'd pick off the nasty assed onions, she gave us the pie at 1/2 off and apologized a bunch. That tip was 20% of what she would've made had we paid full pop for the pizza.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
$3 good
$2 adequate
$1 less adequate

My hair is easy so if they can't get it right then they don't deserve chit. Same with serving food. If you can't remember, then write it down. If you don't write it down and forget, come ask again.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Haircut:
Poor job where I'm pissed, no tip.
Decent job, 2-3 bucks
Good job, 4 bucks
Excellent job, 5 bucks.

Restaurants:
rarely do I get excellent service anymore, I just don't see it practiced very often. Standard 15% most of the time, if the service is excellent I'll tip 30%. If the service truly sucks, I'll leave $1.

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Haircuts - I used to tip $1-$2. Last time I went and got my hair cut by a barber was 2 1/2yrs ago. Spent $13 on clippers and have cut my own hair ever since.

Restaurants - Gotta work for it. I have absolutely no problem walking away with no tip. I also have no problem leaving 30% if the service is good. Average is around 20%, I'd say.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
rocket said:
I shave my head...wonder how much I'm saving a year? :evilaugh:
I also save that money too I just go in the complete opposite way of shaving it all.

Back in high school we all used to go to this place Bickfords (breakfast type place for anyone that doesn't know) and they have a meal called Hash Smash, we named one of the waitresses after it because she looked like the chef had hit her with the frying pan a few too many times. So one day she was so terrible we left her with the extra button from someones coat and some pocket lint. but usually me and my friends are pretty good tippers.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I found the "compulsary tipping" in the US and Canada kind of annoying. I tip when it is earned, but felt robbed when the tip wa sjust "added" to the bill at a restaurant, especially considering the rude level of service we were given.

Having said that, I did find most places gave service worthy of a tip...

Z..

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I am folicly challanged. I have not paid for a haircut in 13 years. My wife uses the clippers on my dome once a month.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
What about those who try just too hard!

She sets you plate down, "so how is everthing?"

"I don't know, I haven't started eating yet. Do you mean the water?"

She comes back 8 seconds later, "so how is everything, everything OK?"

My mouth is full from the first bite and I mumble "everthing's fine, thank you"

"so how is everything, everything OK?"

Then you see the manager walking up to every table, Ohhhh Nooooooo!! :rotfl:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
My q is what everyone ( that this applies to ) tips the baggers at the commissary. We only go there for our serious grocery shopping, so I'll be damned if I'm going to pay even 10% of a 300 dollar grocery bill. I usually drop a 5 for the big shopping. Gave $3 for a 130 bill last night. Not enough? Too much?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, how much would you tip the bagger at your grocery store, if tips were all they made for wages?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
firedawgon929 said:
My q is what everyone ( that this applies to ) tips the baggers at the commissary. We only go there for our serious grocery shopping, so I'll be damned if I'm going to pay even 10% of a 300 dollar grocery bill. I usually drop a 5 for the big shopping. Gave $3 for a 130 bill last night. Not enough? Too much?

For those that don't know what I'm talking about, how much would you tip the bagger at your grocery store, if tips were all they made for wages?
In the rare occasion that I go to a grocery store I will only use the self-checkout lines.....you gotta tip everybody theses days...good grief!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
firedawgon929 said:

Cultural difference here! Commisary? Baggers? Here you put your own stuff in plastic bags at the check out and if the supermarket provides help you would never pay them a tip.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts

The commissary is the military grocery store. All the baggers make is tips. They don't get paid by the hour or make a salary.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
oldfogey said:
Cultural difference here! Commisary? Baggers? Here you put your own stuff in plastic bags at the check out and if the supermarket provides help you would never pay them a tip.
Umm...for me too. A "commissary" indicates it's on a military base, but I've never heard of the bagging thing.

I've never tipped my bagger. :huh:

(I haven't paid for a haircut in a while either, my GF loves taking the clippers to my head...and I love not paying for a haircut. ;) )

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I think it's just the Air Force. The Air Force is big on giving jobs to the less than abled in the communities around the bases. Most of the baggers don't speak a word of english. Probably 98% are from the Filipino underground.

But anyways, no one has taken a shot at answering the question!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts