Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody use these guys?
We put them in big truck tires here in Germany.
They work for bikes too, I guess.
I found out about these from The Samba (VW site).

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
No, they've been around for years marketed for bikes here in the states. I've thought about it every tire change but never pulled the trigger...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been holding off on my first post until I can do a proper introduction with photos but I have a tire machine and do a bit of tire changes so I can add a little to this topic. I use both beads and stick on weights depending on what the person wants and use both for my personal bikes.

Generally, I spin sportbikes and use beads for cruisers. Difference is more to do with looks as well as cruiser wheels being on the heavy side for my balancer setup (will eventually upgrade). It generally works out well as the cruisers like the idea of no external weights.

My current personal setup is beads on my Harley and conventional weights for the 929. I've never tried beads on the 929 for a direct comparison but they seem to work just fine.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Am I not understanding something or are these just a bunch of marbles that are poured into the tire?

WTF does that have to do with getting a balanced weight distribution? Someone have any math and force diagrams a study that supports this as a working alternative to weights?

My undergrad work was physics/math/programming. My grad work was mathematics. I've been out of the physics field for 30 years but I still am confident that putting beads in my tires isn't going to do anything I need. Unless you have a bulge in your tire (beads are going to collect in the furthest spot from center inside a fast spinning tire) the beads are just going to be randomly distributed with the distribution dramatically changing during accelerations (positive or negative=braking).

Can someone clue me in to what I'm missing?

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yeah, it seems counter intuitive - i would have thought the beads would just migrate to the highest point and make it worse but apparently they work. Last time i looked into it they are just ceramic ball bearings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yeah, it seems counter intuitive - i would have thought the beads would just migrate to the highest point and make it worse but apparently they work. Last time i looked into it they are just ceramic ball bearings.
Thanks for the video post. I appreciate you taking the time.

...but I still need more. I don't think the bottle on a drill is a valid model for a motorcycle tire on the road. It's the oscillation of the weight moving the bottle away from center that gets the beads to migrate to a point opposite the weight.

With the mass of the bike holding the bike tire in place, it will not oscillate much if at all despite a significant imbalance. I'm going to need to see some solid study showing this is a viable alternative to rim weights before I buy in. So far it just looks like BS to me. Getting a very light weight plastic tube (insignificant mass compared to the unbalanced weight) with no force acting against oscillation to stop vibrating doesn't tell me anything about a spinning tire that weighs many times more than the mass of beads and is held down by the mass of the motorcycle.

Anyone have something more telling than that video?

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

·
Registered
560 Posts
The more I think about it, the more my head hurts. A plastic bottle that weighs 3/10 of eff-all, a 20g weight, and 28g of ceramic ball bearings. In my mind the beads should all go where the weight it pulling the bottle out and exacerbate the imbalance.
But apparently it really is a thing that most tyre places these days acknowledge.
I 2nd the call for actual study results.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I wonder what happens during hard acceleration and braking........ I think id stay clear off these bead things.

·
Registered
107 Posts
They seem to work really well for my street customers that use them, but I charge and extra $5 over the normal cost of a manual balance because the damn things make a friggin mess all over the tire machine...

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
pretty interesting. in the faq section it states you cant use them in road racing motorcycle tires because the inner lining is too soft for them to function properly.

im wondering what tires fall into that category. q3's? a street/track tire but either way id hafta see some kinda definitive info for specific tire choices before id feel perfectly comfortable using them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I did it. I bought the 'Bike Kit', 1 OZ in the front wheel, and 2 in the rear.
WOW!
I still have the sticky weights on the rim, but, WOW!
The bike feels planted. It still flicks, but upright, it feels solid.
Say what you want, but I like :cool:.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So, I did it. I bought the 'Bike Kit', 1 OZ in the front wheel, and 2 in the rear.
WOW!
I still have the sticky weights on the rim, but, WOW!
The bike feels planted. It still flicks, but upright, it feels solid.
Say what you want, but I like :cool:.
Placebo effect. Until I see some science, my belief is that, at best, they do nothing.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Placebo effect. Until I see some science, my belief is that, at best, they do nothing.

Later,
Kent Larson in Minnesota
Ok, well, I can't pull the science out of my ass.
Will you accept First-Person, Anecdotal evidence?

I wanted to wait a bit before I pulled the Sticky weights off, but I could do it straight away. Then go for a bit of a fang down the Autobahn (do you know what 250kph is in Disney Measurements?).

·
Banned
433 Posts
I have ridden bikes that had these mouse droppings in the tires,
and the ride was not as advertised, a true balance is total BS.
They are also expensive, so I'd stick to static or spin balancing personally.

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/bead-balancing-tires/
Also, if you have low-profile tires, that being any tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below, you may have balancing issues that precludes using Dyna Beads as the sole balancing method.

Officially, Innovative Balancing doesn’t advise using Dyna Beads in any tire with an aspect ratio 65 or below unless used in conjunction with weights.

The reason for this is that this tire has a higher incidence of lateral imbalance, which is basically that one side of the tire is heavier than the other side, creating a “wobbling” effect, or “shaking” of the steering wheel. This type of imbalance normally can only be corrected by careful placement of traditional weights on the wheel rim.”

No wonder the Harley types love them on 80-90 ratio tires, and (rear) 50-55 profile sport bike riders hate them.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I also put these in my wife's Renault and in my Syncro.
NONE of our three vehicles now have traditional weights.
Screw the science. Knowledge changes in the presentation of better evidence.
I'm sold.

·
Banned
474 Posts
My undergrad work was physics/math/programming.
Kent, I need to pick your brain about programming basics. But anyway, throw this out along with the video.

:huh: My take is this:
Toaster is built one way = Ohm's Law
Closing bracket only works one way = Binary
Build something electrically = Balance
Ohm's Law = Balance
Compass = Balance
Motherboard = Balance
Nature = Balance
Magnetism = Balance
Atoms split in an acid battery = Balance
Gravity spins = Balance
Magnetic field = Balance
Balls in a bottle = Balance
Molecules move in a = Balance
Ohm's saw that magnetic move is = Balance

How close am I in theory? And I can't give back change from a dollar... that's my level of math.

·
Banned
433 Posts
I wonder what happens during hard acceleration and braking........ I think id stay clear off these bead things.
Not that is ever happens to anyone, but rear wheel lockup must be followed by some thumping afterwards with these seeds?
You do know balance beads cost about an extra $25-35 when so many gripe about the cost of tires and installation without the little balls? :eek:

Balance beads do not affect lateral imbalance. :huh:
Balance beads bond to aluminum in many cases, which aid as a catalyst for corrosion/oxide effects, so not all bead materials are good for balancing on the market today. :rant:
Balance beads cannot perform as intended, as many tires have inner line patterns that cause the beads to actually increase imbalance in those cases. :crying:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts