Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still learning how to mount my own tires.....I'm getting better, but still occasionally make a chip or a scratch.
While doing a set this weekend, I got to wondering....

How the hell do you have the sack to attack a set of carbon rims....

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Baketech : I'm still learning how to mount my own tires.....I'm getting better,
Easy! First you slowly sneak up on one. Get it in a prone position and then proceed to throw a leg over - the rest should come naturally

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Badda bing....I'm here all week folks...don't forget to tip your waiters and waitresses....I'll be in the lobby signing autographs after the show....try the pork tar-tar....

·
Registered
224 Posts
On the rear one I can almost do with out irons. After I botched a front tire swap and scratched up the rim, I now spend coin and have someone with a machine do it. My secret: I just use plenty of soap and make no attempt to keep myself clean and it gets done.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Been there done that. I had Knight's setup for 1 tire change and axed it. We have 1 guy locally (Works at a Honda shop no doubt) that uses a machine and won't scratch the rims. It is an art if you are using a pobre setup in your garage. If you have the machine, it's much easier.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SoCal...I managed to do my rear this time without irons....I was stoked....

A friend of mine has a Coats 220, so that helps to make the job easier.....

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
SoCalRider : On the rear one I can almost do with out irons.
I've decided that until I do this enough to be good at it, scratches are going to occur (That is what touch-up paint is for).

I have not had the pleasure of changing the front on the 954 yet. On my '95 RR I would remove the disc on one side, the 16' hoop made it difficult to get a regular size tire iron past the disc.

As far as the carbon wheels go... If I could afford them, I could afford to have someone else worry about knackering them up.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cbr99xx : Quote (SoCalRider @ July 15 2003, 1:53pm)On the rear one I can almost do with out irons.
I've decided that until I do this enough to be good at it, scratches are going to occur (That is what touch-up paint is for).

I have not had the pleasure of changing the front on the 954 yet. On my '95 RR I would remove the disc on one side, the 16' hoop made it difficult to get a regular size tire iron past the disc.

As far as the carbon wheels go... If I could afford them, I could afford to have someone else worry about knackering them up.
I'm with you on the scratches....I don't mind a few small ones here and there....thats called 'patina'....

We've changed 2 sets on both the RC and the 929 now, without any problems with hitting rotors. The first go around we touched one, but didn't boff it. After that we figured out a better strategy, and now we never even come close to it.
I can see where the 16' rim would be a major PIA....

This is my 4th set of tires on the 929....odo says 3100...

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
I'm about to order my 4th rear tire, and I'm at 4700-4800 miles on the ODO, I feel your pain. But I'm using Sportecs, and the thing only gets ridden at speed in the twisties. + I am not excercising judicious application of the throttle.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have been paying a premium price to get my tires changed at the dealer, and they have always done an excellent job. I didn't even realize the service I was getting until.... I took my rear off before heading to Laguna, and got a new Sportec put on. I had the boys at the CycleGear by my work do it. I get my tire back from them, and there's a few scratches on the rim, and they have one of those cheap ass stick on weights right on the side of the rim!?!? Kolbe changed my tires a number of times, and never even a scratch, and they used those clamp on weights that fit on the middle of the rim, on the ridge. Much more classy if you ask me. I don't think I am going to take my tires back to CycleGear. They just pissed me off. I know, it was only $11 to mount the tire, but you know, I am at the point of where if I am going to save some money, I am just going to buy the tools, and change and balance them myself. I can do a job that shitty.

I guess the way to attack those expensive rims is: Don't own them. Then you have no attachment, nor do you give a rats ass when you bung them up. Seems to work for most other people..
Fig

·
Registered
210 Posts
ConqSoft said:
My dealer charges $55 (1 hour of labor) to install my tires. *They do it right, do it fast (same day turnaround), and don't mess anything up. *I couldn't be happier.
Well, at that rate, me and my brother have saved ourselves about ~$600 or so already by doing it ourselves. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I feel your pain. My dealer charges a lot also, but they have the fancy pneumatic machine that doesn't touch the rim and they do them on Saturdays while you wait. I've changed my own tires with the stock rims, but after seeing all the inevitable scratches, there's no way I'm going near my OZ rims with those tire irons!

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I feel your pain. My dealer charges a lot also, but they have the fancy pneumatic machine that doesn't touch the rim and they do them on Saturdays while you wait. I've changed my own tires with the stock rims, but after seeing all the inevitable scratches, there's no way I'm going near my OZ rims with those tire irons!
Freehold I think does the same. My buddy has his wheels powdercoated white and they come back without a tiny scuff :thumb:

Thats the only thing keeping me from doing my own is the fact that I will get impatient and destroy my rims

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
TGZ13 said:
Freehold I think does the same. My buddy has his wheels powdercoated white and they come back without a tiny scuff :thumb:

Thats the only thing keeping me from doing my own is the fact that I will get impatient and destroy my rims
I may end up going to Freehold in the future for service.

Impatience isn't the problem; it's that the tire irons will come in contact with the rims and cause scratching, now matter how careful and patient you're trying to be. Rim protectors help. I bought a bunch more to see if covering the entire rim with them will help next time.

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
I may end up going to Freehold in the future for service.

Impatience isn't the problem; it's that the tire irons will come in contact with the rims and cause scratching, now matter how careful and patient you're trying to be. Rim protectors help. I bought a bunch more to see if covering the entire rim with them will help next time.
Ahhh so tire irons do the damage :thumbd: to changing my own then

My buddy has had 2 or 3 rears and 2 fronts mounted on his wheels with all good results from there :thumb:

What area of NJ are you in...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Fellas, I bought my own tire changing equipment and do not regret it one bit at all. I have saved myself alot of money and have even made some money with my setup. This is what I have. I bought the Harbor Freight tools setup. I anchored my machine to the floor. Then I coated the rim clamps on this machine with a product called plasti dip. I also use rags on top of the clamps to prevent my rims from getting scratched. The mount-demount bar that you get with the HF machine I only use for bead breaking. I purchased the Coats 220 mount-demount bar. The reason I bought this was because it has the plastic protective covers that will eliminate the metal to rim contact. I also bought a static wheel balancer from Handy Industries and stick on type wheel weights from JC Whitney. This is my setup and it works for me. I have no problems with this setup. The Honda dealership in my area charges alot and thats fine. I realize they have to charge alot for tire services to keep their doors open. I choose to go a different route and mail order my tires and do it myself for a alot less. Hope this helps anyone out.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Carbon Fiber rims are no diffrent then any other tire change that i do. I still use a tire machine to hold the rim but i use no irons and i spin the tire on manually rather then using the machine to spin the rim.. Just have to be a bit more patient and careful when doing it.. Its a very expensive mistake if you screw up :eek:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts