Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I just picked up a 2001 CBR929RR with 1530 miles on it. The tires on it are the stock BT010s. The tires look really good, however I just noticed there is a small nail in the rear tire.

I am curious if I should just go ahead and replace both front and rear with some Pirelli Diablos or Michelin Pilot Powers since the stockers are now 4 years old, or just replace the rear with an OEM Battlax BT010 for $120 from www.accwhse.com?

Any reason why a 4 year-old tire should concern me on the front if the tread looks great and wear is very minimal?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Yes, buy new ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, that does make sense I suppose.

So, Pilot Power or Pirelli Diablo (not the Corsa)?

I ride mostly commuting and a few canyon runs. Might take it to the track once.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Tronner said:
OK, that does make sense I suppose.

So, Pilot Power or Pirelli Diablo (not the Corsa)?

I ride mostly commuting and a few canyon runs. Might take it to the track once.
Diablo should be fine. Also check out he M-1, great tire for the money.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the Diablo on my F3, and it seems like it gets great reviews for wet/dry and mileage. I suppose I'll stick with them.

From what I hear, it seems the M1 Sportec is almost the exact same tire and the Metzelers and Pirellis are made by the same company?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
soon2b954 said:
Diablo should be fine. Also check out he M-1, great tire for the money.
OK, so one review I just saw said the M1 is geared slightly more for the sport/touring side than the Diablo. That would probably be more of my style, so maybe I'll try out the Metzeler.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
Pilot Powers, check out the pics of them in my gallery. Those are with about 3200 miles on them.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I would've said to keep the tires, but then I read that you do some carving, and a track day or two. For commuting, they'd be fine, hell, if I had a bike that could fit those tires (hmm, maybe the FJR?), I'd buy them from you.

Diablo/Power? Dunno first hand, but I've heard nothing but good things about the Diablo. Seems a proven tire.

However, I would suggest giving the Avon 45/46 set a try. Awesome grip dry/wet, very communicative tire (it's told me that I was on the edge several times), and you'll get lots of miles from them, 2-5X as much as from the pure performance tires.

·
Registered
748 Posts
2OHOH2 said:
However, I would suggest giving the Avon 45/46 set a try. Awesome grip dry/wet, very communicative tire (it's told me that I was on the edge several times), and you'll get lots of miles from them, 2-5X as much as from the pure performance tires.
I hear nothing but good things about Avon's, might have to give them a go one of these days. I hear the sport versions (49/50 I think?) grip like crazy but wear very fast, as most sticky tires do....

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tronner said:
I had the Diablo on my F3, and it seems like it gets great reviews for wet/dry and mileage. I suppose I'll stick with them.

From what I hear, it seems the M1 Sportec is almost the exact same tire and the Metzelers and Pirellis are made by the same company?

Thanks for the quick replies guys!
Hey Tronner,

I had the M1s on when I first got my 929 and loved 'em - great turn in and plenty of grip. 3500kms ago I changed to Powers - took a bit of fiddling to get the bike feeling the way I like it, but now I've got it set-up I really like the Powers, there's heaps of grip and I reckon they are wearing better than the M1s.

Cheers, Spanky.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Whether or not you replace the stock tyres is dependent on how you ride. My understanding is that old tyres break down with heat cycling but also exposure to light and air but if you are just tootling around town then you might be able to squeeze some more miles out of them. But if it were me I'd replace them before doing any hard riding.

I went from Diablo (not Corsa) to Pilot Powers and it is simply no contest. Powers win hands down. Even more so in the wet. I have nearly 5000 klm on them and the rear still has around 3000 left I would guess. Grip is excellent and squaring off is minimal despite a couple of long rides. And they are profiled so you can ride to the edge front and back. With the Diablos although I rode the rear to the edge the front ended up with a nasty bevel about 1cm from the edge which wasn't fun to approach.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RPinOZ said:
Whether or not you replace the stock tyres is dependent on how you ride. My understanding is that old tyres break down with heat cycling but also exposure to light and air but if you are just tootling around town then you might be able to squeeze some more miles out of them. But if it were me I'd replace them before doing any hard riding.

I went from Diablo (not Corsa) to Pilot Powers and it is simply no contest. Powers win hands down. Even more so in the wet. I have nearly 5000 klm on them and the rear still has around 3000 left I would guess. Grip is excellent and squaring off is minimal despite a couple of long rides. And they are profiled so you can ride to the edge front and back. With the Diablos although I rode the rear to the edge the front ended up with a nasty bevel about 1cm from the edge which wasn't fun to approach.
OK, you've made me want to try the Powers, but I just ordered the Diablos about 5 minutes before I read this :mad:

I'm going to try to cancel the order. My local shop has a decent deal on the Powers and can put them on soon. I'll try to see if I can't stop the order for the Diablos.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Tronner said:
OK, you've made me want to try the Powers, but I just ordered the Diablos about 5 minutes before I read this :mad:

I'm going to try to cancel the order. My local shop has a decent deal on the Powers and can put them on soon. I'll try to see if I can't stop the order for the Diablos.
Sorry about the timing mate. But for my purposes the Powers are quite an improvement over the Diablo. Next generation. As to the use I put them I would say that 2-5% of the distance covered would be on the track, ~40% canyon carving, 10% touring and the remainder commuting. As to my riding style, I would say I am an intermediate level track rider. And a "quickish but not stupid" level road rider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RPinOZ said:
Sorry about the timing mate. But for my purposes the Powers are quite an improvement over the Diablo. Next generation. As to the use I put them I would say that 2-5% of the distance covered would be on the track, ~40% canyon carving, 10% touring and the remainder commuting. As to my riding style, I would say I am an intermediate level track rider. And a "quickish but not stupid" level road rider.
That's good though, because that's not that far off from what I will put them through, and swmototires.com just emailed me and said no problem on cancelling the order. Pilot Powers, here I come!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts