To KB or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The subject comes up so much. Should we have a tire plug KB? Anyone have information to contribute on this if so?

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I have a kit that I carried on my 929 and now on the 998. It's been used in the field twice (I have a pal that just seems to attract nails like he's got magnetic tires).

I don't go anywhere without it. You can get a nail anywhere, any time. Too bad the 1k does not have a trunk any more, I'd hate to have to have my tank bag with me all the time.

What I carry in mine:

Automotive radial plugs (3 or so)
Tire plug inserter.
12v mini compressor
Tire pressure guage.

I also carry jumper cables, extra cash, anti-fog, emergency meds, first aid kit and 1 liter of water when I'm going more than 50 miles.

I would NOT waste my money on those stupic C02 kits. Total waste. You'd have to carry a ton of them to get even semi-safe tire pressures then limp to a gas station to complete the fill. With the 12v mini compressor ($10 in parts from Wallyworld) you can do it all right there one stop. In one case my buddy completed the 400 mile day, in the other he took his sorry-arse RC back home. Hm.. he sold it and bought an RVF400... is there a leson there?

Sorry.. well, that's what I have to offer. Tire repair kit. Don't leave home without it!

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have added an option to the poll to see who thinks a plugged tire is safe:)

So the KB should list the parts needed to do an emergency repair and instructions on how to perform it.

I would also like to use the KB to advise that a plugged tire is only for getting the bike home/trailered/etc to put on a new tire.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I attract nails also...I must have plugged at least 4 rear tires in the last 2 years...and I actually have a nail in my tire right now. I am going to plug it tomorrow with one of those mushroom plugs that go in from the inside. I have used the ones that you push in, they have also worked very well.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
A buddy of mine had 4 plugs in the back tire on his VFR before he finally replaced the tire (different dude.. I guess there more than just afew magnetic tires out there).

They way I look at is a plugged tire is safter than a flat tire.. as safe as an unplugged tire, I don't see how it could be be but actually being *unsafe*. hm.. that's a good question.

Depends on tire construction and if the tires internallys were damaged enough to cause a failure. I don't think I'd used a plugged tire on a high-speed track day but maybe they are fine for general commuting type use.

Knock on wood, I've used the plugger many times but not on any of my own MC tires. :D

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Holeshot said:
A buddy of mine had 4 plugs in the back tire on his VFR before he finally replaced the tire (different dude.. I guess there more than just afew magnetic tires out there).

They way I look at is a plugged tire is safter than a flat tire.. as safe as an unplugged tire, I don't see how it could be be but actually being *unsafe*. hm.. that's a good question.

Depends on tire construction and if the tires internallys were damaged enough to cause a failure. I don't think I'd used a plugged tire on a high-speed track day but maybe they are fine for general commuting type use.

Knock on wood, I've used the plugger many times but not on any of my own MC tires. :D
z-rated MC tires are rated for less than 50mph after they are plugged.

"Tire Repairs

Riding on an improperly repaired tire is dangerous. An improper repair can cause further damage to the tire. It may suddenly fail, causing serious personal injury or death. To be safe, go to your local dealer for proper tire repairs.

Before having a tire repaired, tell your local dealer if you have used an aerosol fixer to inflate/ seal the tire. Aerosol fixers could contain a highly volatile gas. Always remove the valve core outdoors, away from sources of excessive heat, flame, or sparks and completely deflate the tire before removing it from the rim for repair.
  • Never repair a tire with less than 1/32nd inch (0.8 millimeters) tread remaining. At this tread depth, the tire is worn out and must be replaced.
  • Never repair a tire with a puncture larger than 1/4 inch (6.4 millimeters) in diameter. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.
  • Repairs of all tires (radial and non-radial) must be of the plug and inside patch type. Using plugs alone on any type of tire is not a safe repair.
  • Never repair a tire with a puncture or other damage outside the tread area. Such tires cannot be properly repaired and must be replaced.
  • Any tire repair done without removing the tire from the rim is improper.
  • Tubes, like tires, should be repaired only by a qualified tire service person.
  • Never use a tube as a substitute for a proper repair.
A tire's speed rating is void if the tire is repaired, retreaded, damaged or abused, or otherwise altered from its original condition. Thereafter, it should be treated as a non-speed-rated tire.

Speed should not exceed 50 mph (80kph) in the first 24 hours after a repair is made and the repaired tire should never be used at speeds above 80 mph
(128 kph)."

Bridgestone Source: http://www.motorcycle-karttires.com/tiretips/index.asp
Dunlop Source: http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?
id=13#tip

Metzler Source: http://www.metzelermoto.com/product_info/safety.asp#11
Michelin Source: http://motous.webmichelin.com/faqs/flat.htm

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I voted no.....

Tire plugging debates are basically subjective opinion with almost ZERO statistical data to back them up. The topic is too polarizing to be condensed into a KB article imho....

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I voted yes, regardless of plugging tire is safe or not, I think we should have KB on everything we can. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Baketech said:
I voted no.....

Tire plugging debates are basically subjective opinion with almost ZERO statistical data to back them up. The topic is too polarizing to be condensed into a KB article imho....
who is going to populate a statistic like, "I lost my bike cause I was riding on a plug." :idunno:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
figment said:
who is going to populate a statistic like, "I lost my bike cause I was riding on a plug." :idunno:
No one....because it doesn't happen.....

·
Registered
728 Posts
A plug kit in your tank bag is a must have. You never know where you will be when that nail gets you. The plug kit is just to limp home, not to continue the ride in the twisties. By the way, it takes 2 bottles (CO2 type) just to semi inflate, so keep extras on hand. :)

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
my CBR600 had a rare earth magnet the size of a skyscraper hidden in the hoop - I think I had 7 plugged holes in the rear tyre at one stage over a 3 week period. Brand new tyre too, I was pissed! Anyway, I keep a hand pump, plug kit, leatherman andtyre guage under the boot. It may take a while to pump up bu hand, but at least I know the battery wont die, and I wont run out of CO2...

Z...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts