Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to get some new tires and need some advise. My Blade has 200's in the rear. Got it that way not new ofcourse. I am still decideing between Michilin pilot sports, Dunlop d208's and Bridgestone b010 or b012. But the biggest question i have is should i get rid of the 200 series and go to the stock 190's. I got used to riding on the 200 and the wheelhugger even fits it. In addition i am prepping it for the NY - Daytona trip Alot of straight road not much turns. Should i stick with the 200's for now for this trip or start getting used to the 190's.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
do you like the 200's?

stick with what you like, it is not worth having to feel "different" for the long trip you are about to make to switch the tires.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bubba said:
do you like the 200's?

stick with what you like, it is not worth having to feel "different" for the long trip you are about to make to switch the tires.

Yes i do like them but i don't want to miss our on better because i am comfortable with what i have. I want to improve if possible. Bike Show is this week up here in Ny so if they have some tires there i might jump on them.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I've never ridden on 200s, but I think the only difference you'll notice with the 190s is better, quicker turn-in. Other than that, I believe they will be just as stable as you're used to on the straight highways. The Bridgestone BT10s would be fine. I'm guessing if you're riding all the way down and back you'll use up the tire anyway. If you are ever planning on riding twisty roads or doing trackdays, I'd definitely switch to the 190.

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
If you are ever planning on riding twisty roads or doing trackdays, I'd definitely switch to the 190.
:nod: 200's are pretty much for show unless you're on a 'Busa or ZX12...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
tigerblade said:
:nod: 200's are pretty much for show unless you're on a 'Busa or ZX12...
Yep, plus the extra money. If you are going to be putting on a lot of straight miles, you should check out the 020's. Still sticky but won't get squared off as quickly as the 010 or 012's.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For the twisties you want a 180 rear. I like the briggies 012ss. Good street tires. Cheap. Great cold grip! Mileage is 1-2.5 k on the rear depending on how you ride. For better mileage get the 010s. Phuck the 200 & 190....those are for the strip not the twisties. 180 will work in all conditions well and are cheaper...and they are lighter!

Really it all depends on your riding.....and what you want to do. I like a bigger contact patch at full lean so I don't use the big, FLAT tires.

my two ¢ent.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I second 02fblade. I like 180's better also for handling / turn in reasons. there are some important things to note: a 180/55 is generally larger in diameter too so your bike will be a bit more jacked up in the rear this contributes significantly to quicker turn in as does 180 profile. this will affect gearing a tad too. I went from stock Mich Pilots (190 rear) to Pirelli Diablo Corsas and Pirelli Supercorsas and in both cases noticed an increase of rear ride height of about 6.5mm relative to front with either Pirelli 180/55 on rear. I still have a set of wheels with Michelin Pilots on them which I use for street riding and man, it feels like a different bike due to slower steering. I find it so annoying, I am just about to replace them with Pirelli Diablos (180/55 rear of course).

·
Registered
30 Posts
rydman said:
I second 02fblade. I like 180's better also for handling / turn in reasons. there are some important things to note: a 180/55 is generally larger in diameter too so your bike will be a bit more jacked up in the rear this contributes significantly to quicker turn in as does 180 profile. this will affect gearing a tad too. I went from stock Mich Pilots (190 rear) to Pirelli Diablo Corsas and Pirelli Supercorsas and in both cases noticed an increase of rear ride height of about 6.5mm relative to front with either Pirelli 180/55 on rear. I still have a set of wheels with Michelin Pilots on them which I use for street riding and man, it feels like a different bike due to slower steering. I find it so annoying, I am just about to replace them with Pirelli Diablos (180/55 rear of course).
I have ridden 200,190,and 180. I believe if you are aggressively hitting the track, and twistioes 180 makes sense. This sentiment seems to be pretty clear at the MotoGP level with the 16.5 wheels, which I believe does affect the circumference as well but I haven't seen numbers to support my intuition. 'Turn in' is paramount when riding at speed in the cornes, so I would never rock a 200. Another example is 250 and 125's, there turning has alot to do witht the tires (and weight). I feel 200 is really a subjective deal and the people I see riding on them generally do it for looks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts