Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered a couple sets of new tires for the track for this summer (if it ever gets here :crap: ) and was wondering if there's any problems with storing them in an unheated garage for the next couple of months, especially with the subzero temps we've been getting at night. :idunno:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
GhostRider said:
I don't think the cold should affect them too much, but I'd keep them in a heated garage if given a choice. :)
I wish I had a heated garage! Sure would make these winter mornings a lot more bearable, not to mention winterizing the bike.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have heard you should wrap them in plastic wrap and then just shove them in your basement or garage. That was my plan but my vendor was nice enough to just note the sets they still owed me and are giving me fresh tires this spring.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I wouldn't think the cold would be a problem. After all, our bikes sit in the cold all winter and the tires are still fine come Spring. I've heard tires have a shelf life, though, and at 2-3 years old, regardless of the amount of tread left, they can start getting hard or dry rotting, something you probably already know.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Red Rider
Temperture is not a major issue but ultra-violet light is, so keeping them out of the sunlight, wraped up in your garage will be fine.

Sean

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Send em down this way...I'll store them in my basement and maybe even scrub them in for safety's sake.... :evilaugh:

·
Registered
126 Posts
The suggestions I got from the Dunpop tire slinger at the races was to avoid temp. swings and UV. Do not store your tires in a trailer outdoors as it heats up and cools down daily. Wrap them in a black plastic bag and keep them off bare floors. Constant temps are best, be it cold or warm. Keep the tires from "outgassing" is the overall concept.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
When storing tires I was told to keep lying flat on the floor (no concrete), wrapped in black garbage bags (out of sunlight) and in a place where the temperature does not fluctuate.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the advice! Now if I can only figure out how to tell my wife I want to store a stack of tires in our rec room... :D

Baketech...maybe I should send them to you since you'd only use about an inch of the tread anyways! :lmao: ;)

DCE, now you've got me thinking about having my bike stored in my trailer all winter. With subzero temps at night and the sun baking it (it's black) during the day, it's seeing some pretty big temperature swings.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Red Rider said:
Baketech...maybe I should send them to you since you'd only use about an inch of the tread anyways! :lmao: ;)
You've been listening to my wife.... :crap:
:smilebig:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hey Red,

I stored my F2/F2.5 in an unheated garage for a couple of off seasons with poor results. I was loosing the "edge" on the motor. Getting soft, not as much power when I didn't have that much time on it during the season. I decided to freshen up the motor (stock) with some hp improvements. As it turned out I needed new intake valves because the seats were rusted and pitted the valve seats. Yup, I didn't "oil" the cylinders and valves before I stored it. The temperature and humidity deltas affected the open valve seat by condensating moisture on them and the valve pounded the rust into submission. Dang.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I would agree on the heat cycles....constant temps are best. But time is another factor.....I've heard not to buy race tires older than a year or street rubber older than 2 years. They do get harder over time.

Personally, I want the freshest tires I can find. Usuallly I get to pick out my tires myself.....I try to get the freshest one possible. All tires have a 'born on date'.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
space heater, less than $100 @ home depot, get an electric one.

Oh yeah, OT, sorry. Yeah I store them in black garbage bags and stick them in the corner of the garage :thumb:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
One thing I have not noticed anyone comment about is ozone. I understand it accelerates rubber deteriorization. Ozone is generated by electrical motors, so don't store tires near one unless you're not using the motor.

·
Registered
661 Posts
maxib said:
One thing I have not noticed anyone comment about is ozone. I understand it accelerates rubber deteriorization. Ozone is generated by electrical motors, so don't store tires near one unless you're not using the motor.
That's a new one to me!

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
maxib said:
:thumb:

Right on the money...also goes for your helmet... :nod:

Here is a good graphic that depicts the different factors that degrade vulcanized rubber products. Tire manufacturers use different, waxes and substances to protect tires, but good storage practice is a big factor too.
Rubber Degradation

1 - 20 of 20 Posts