Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently purchased a full titanium exhaust from ebay, should have it tuesday, previous owner wrecked so one of the header tubes has a flat spot, I am going to try to repair, I have heard of freeze plugs and ice as a fix, has anyone heard of other ways to repair titanium dents? thanks

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
don't think ice will work on thick headers, i've only heard of using it to take dents out of thin metals like the roof of cars, etc. I would personally take it to a body shop and just have a guy do it while you wait, should be really quick and fairly cheap for that little project.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
185 for the headers and pipe, no muffler, one of the members here says it is a Sato system, which I hear good things about, im going to put a scorpion flame muffler on the end, I hope it works well, looks like I will need a map which might get costly I sold my old system for the funds, so it better work :idunno:

·
Registered
90 Posts
It'll have to be pushed out from the inside. body shop is a good idea- sometimes they will have a stud gun that could help pull on the outside.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If it were steel you'd weld a rod to the dent and pull it out or drill a hole in the back, punch it out and weld it back up.
Titanium though is a pain to straighten.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks everyone I took the ideas and came up with a plan, since the 2 to 1 collector could be removed I did so, then similar to what Larry suggested, I tood a 1" steel rod held with a vice and inserted it into the tube then heated the titanium with Map gas to a bright red and hammered the dent out with the steel rod inserted, the heated titanium moved easily and I came up with a result I was satisfied with, pics included, not as bad as I thought, polished the system up as well :)

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
Necessity is the mother of invention they say. Looks like it came out ok!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Excellent result!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know this is older but I did the same thing to my buddies Akro but used a socket from small to as big as the pipe and they came out perfect. Nice job on fixin it up!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts