Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about advancing into the digital age since I'm never home to watch any of the good stuff. I'm hoping you guys can help me out on this purchase.

Here's the deal:

We have DishTV in the house but I need some sort of descrambler or card or whatever (I have no clue) to view it. We also have basic cable running in the house (I also have no clue why). If I get one of the DVRs from dish are they propriatary or will they work with say Digital cable?

On the other hand I'm leaning towards a 3rd party one. Namely TiVo or Replay TV but I've never used one or even know someone who owns one.

Can the aforementioned DVRs be used as satilite recievers AND cable descramblers?

Is one substantially superior / inferior to the other?

TiVo is all over the tv and seems to be the user friendly option and as far as I can tell you don't need to pay a monthly or one time fee that ReplayTV requires. However, replayTV offers more advanced options to all the tech junkies.

Does any of you guys own one of these? Any recommendations? I'd really appreciate it.

mahalo
will

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How quick does it change channels? The DVR my roommate owns seems to take its sweet time when couch surfing..

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
fast. nothing Id notice as slow. I have the series 2 unit (whats been selling for the last 6 months/year or so.) The only time it slows down is when I change the format of the guide to display a new table. Mine used my broadband connection via USB/Ethernet to connect and download scheduling a software updates.

·
Registered
113 Posts
are these able to record Hi-def? and if so would they only hold a fraction of what they would @ 480 like I imagine?
B

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
both directtv and dish have the recorders available for purchase now and the cost for the entire pakage (2 receiver system is free or 49 for the recorder option)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts