Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been thinking long and hard about enlisting (reserves for now and then reg force after i finish this year of college). My question is to all those who are serving or who have served; If given the chance, would you do it all over again? Was it worth it to enlist?

Just trying to get a real story besides the one fed to me from all the recruitment officers.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
In a hearbeat. The people I met and some of things I/we did were just amazing. To me they were nothing, part of the job. But to Joe Smucatelli civilian they just look at you awe. Such as having one of your motors flame out. :eek: Hey, there are three more! (don't tell Mom these stories or about "other" things that went on:nono: ) But it all depends on what you do while you are in. I was crew on the EP-3E's while in the Navy.:thumb:

The only thing I would do different is join the teams (try out for them at least). SPECOPS. Sweet.

Good luck

Edit: Just noticed you are Canadian. Dudes always had the good beer.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Talk to EVERYONE you can about it. There are good and bad points to everything.

If the Canadian reserve is similar to ours, I'd call up the station that you're thinking about joining and ask to attend a drill weekend. You'll gain a lot of different perspectives.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
I have not served (as pointed out in another thread the end result would have been a cage :down: ) However I work with many who have. In all cases I think it made them a better person :idunno: Of course that may be different in Canada not sure how things are run up there having met only one Canadian officer.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Would have done it all over again, sure thing. In fact, I just joined back up with the reserves. I had alterior motives, but now I get the added benefit of playing with large weapons and explosives.

Plus, my December drill weekend will be walking around Qualcomm stadium during the Chargers / Broncos game and convince people to donate to Toys for Tots.

:D

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Ok so I've been thinking long and hard about enlisting (reserves for now and then reg force after i finish this year of college). My question is to all those who are serving or who have served; If given the chance, would you do it all over again? Was it worth it to enlist?

Just trying to get a real story besides the one fed to me from all the recruitment officers.
Depends entirely on your own motivations. Why or what are they?

I had multiple reasons, and would guarantee I wouldn't be where I am today - in a good way - had I not done exactly as I had.

·
Registered
295 Posts
For me, it was pretty much a necessity, if I was going to join the real world as an adult. The maturation process that I went through has paid dividends for me to this day. And I have made friends with folks from all wlaks of life that I continure to keep in touch with and keep me grounded.

This is not an easy decision in the least, so take your time and good luck!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
F1, you do know that as a Canadian you can also join the US Military, they have better toys and a better after service programs (for college and such).

I am not in the services.
That may be the case, but know that all the "cool" jobs require you to be a US Citizen.

Besides, the Canadian ships have beer on them. Seems like a simple thing to me.

Oh yeah, they aren't in Iraq either. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Drafted to the Spanish Navy, AKA "invincible armada" (invincible, yeah right...) so no choice here. That was then, now is professional fortunately.

Even being drafted, I must admit, it did form me and made me a much better person. Also, I think I am alive today because of the contribution to my character due to instruction, discipline and training received then. It calmed me down a bit.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
My dad always told me that when he was growing up, that he didn't learn how to Lie, Cheat, and Steal until he joined the Marines.

Having been there and done that, I now see exactly what he means!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts