Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At Fontana, one of the fastest dudes there (4 seconds faster than me...but I'm not fast), complemented mine and my buddies RC's saying they surprised him because he couldn't pull us on the straights....cool dude, he'd outbrake us into every turn and pass us that way, that guy was insane, he'd go by me as I was braking into a turn and I'd think, 'He's gonna die!' Real class act though, he gave us both credit saying we rode that big ass bike very well.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Mattress : Actually I was following him trying to keep up when I low-sided
Dooooh---

Hehheheheh---the guy musta been a 'tard---my little 929 has pulled every RC51 on the straights that it met---I think he wasnt getting high enough RPMs on the drive out of the corners---In fact the only V-twin that smoked it (on the straights) was apparently one of Goberts old 996's----fortunately for me the new owner wasnt quite as adept at going around corners....got it all on video---one of these days Ill upload it

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
The 954 IS faster than the RC51.

in a straight line.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
OK, this last Saturday during open practice for the Fasttrax event at Grattan, I was working on suspension and made some 20 or so 2 to 5 lap runs and then back in for adjustments.  There were a few 750s, several 600s and 2 GSXR 1000s out during this time.  On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight.  I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish.  On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised . . .

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
abtech : OK, this last Saturday during open practice for the Fasttrax event at Grattan, I was working on suspension and made some 20 or so 2 to 5 lap runs and then back in for adjustments.  There were a few 750s, several 600s and 2 GSXR 1000s out during this time.  On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight.  I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish.  On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.

Frankly, I was pretty surprised . . .
So are you liking the RC then?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Actually, I love it. I just didn't expect it to be that quick. Obviously, I don't know the various details involved during the above described scenarios, but I do know that I was able to run several 1:27s after getting the suspension dialed in and this was on a cold, partially wet track. My best time on the 929 was a 1:25 and change under relatively ideal conditions, so I guess this bike is sort of 'sneaky fast' after all. It's not as intimidating as the 29, but I swear it feels every bit as fast once you get rolling . . .

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
abtech : On 2 seperate occasions, I had the opportunity to go head to head with both of the GSXRs and I actually reeled in one of them who got a better drive onto the straight.  I was on his rear tire by the braking markers (but before he had started braking) even though he had me by some 10 lengths at start/finish.  On an equal drive with the other one, he had maybe 2 mph on me once we both hit sixth, but he was a wuss on the brakes, so it only lasted for the straight.
That's not good enough for me...'02 RC51 for sale!!!

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
abtech : Actually, I love it.  I just didn't expect it to be that quick.  Obviously, I don't know the various details involved during the above described scenarios, but I do know that I was able to run several 1:27s after getting the suspension dialed in and this was on a cold, partially wet track.  My best time on the 929 was a 1:25 and change under relatively ideal conditions, so I guess this bike is sort of 'sneaky fast' after all.  It's not as intimidating as the 29, but I swear it feels every bit as fast once you get rolling . . .
Quick,

Someone print this thread before he edits his post! I thought i'd never see that...

I think he was being 'frank' with us gents!

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Don't bother printing it, it will stand as written. As with all of my bikes the slowest part has always been the rider. I never blasted the RC in the past (even though they were never a problem on the track as I was always able to motor them, except for 'Double D' over on Rogue, as we were always about even up in terms of times).

The bike is a blast to ride except for the bit of vibration in the bars (I'm sure this is due to the Woodcraft clipons as they have no weights).

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
One of my buds who was at the Fireblades.org day @ JenningsGP with a worked motor on his GSXR1K, cam work and such, couldn't reel in someone on an RC coming out of turn 1 and down the back stretch. Granted his suspension wasn't exactly ideal and who knows what the RC had under it. We did tease him a little about it. He's a fast rider with a lot of track time under his belt. It was a precious moment.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
tigerblade : I've never had a vibration problem, but I'm still using the stock clipons.
Like I mentioned, they have no bar end weights and the vibration is about on a par with the TZ250, so it's really just nit picking. The only thing that is strange about the RC is the fact that the battery seems barely able to turn it over. It has always started, but it sounds like it's on death's door. I have jump started it just to check and it sounds the same: about 2 revolutions, nothing, 2 more and then it starts.

I don't know if it has the stock battery or something else, as it has a custom 'electronics' tray and the battery appears to be different than the pics in the manual. At any rate, once it starts, it's all good . . .

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Probably has the smaller battery, there are two popular sizes, the stock....and one that is smaller/lighter, with less amps, I can't remember the models of each, it's on Rogue though

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I assumed it was a replacement. Often, riders who go to a smaller battery forget to include the fuel pump in their list of electrical current requirements and the bike will 'starve out' after a couple of laps. This isn't the case, but cranking the engine is not confidence inspiring in the literal sense of the phrase . . .

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
tigerblade : I've never had a vibration problem, but I'm still using the stock clipons.
I have the stock clipons and I got a bad buzz the other day on the 51. My wrists were sore. I have put on a few pounds and I think I may be leaning on my bars more. Time to lose some weight...

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
The buzz really wan't an issue, but I always do an 'inventory' every couple of hours or so when I am working on development at the track and my notes included:

'This thing reminds me of the TZ. Around 8500 rpm on up it sort of tingles the spine (via the wrists). I still don't know where the damn rev limiter is, as I hit it twice and I thought I was shifting at 11K . . .' Note: soft rev limiter mod in place . . .

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
How 'bout throwing the weight of the rider into it... When we talk about 'pulling' another bike down the straight, no one seems to mention if it was a big fatty or a skinny dude that was the opponent. Could this be the difference?

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
ccwilli3 : Quote (abtech @ Sep. 29 2003, 4:11pm)Actually, I love it. I love it like a big gay fuzzy slippers.
Quick,

Someone print this thread before he edits his post!  I thought i'd never see that...

I think he was being 'frank' with us gents!
Yep, that seals it. RC owners are

J/k guys! I love the RC and wish I were in Figment's shoes to have 954 and RC. BTW, I was drooling over a black z06 tonight. Nice!

HD

1 - 20 of 32 Posts