Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I'm taking my 954 to have it looked at. It still has a rattle in the motor. If my guy says it's the valves and I'm going to have to go into the motor anyway......should I?

I do one track day a year, so I do most of my riding on the street. I just don't want to mess up the rideablity (if that's a word) for a little (or a lot) more power.

This year I plan to have a custom map done for it so now would be the time to do the cams if it is the wise thing to do.

F/J

·
Registered
32 Posts
fastjester said:
Today I'm taking my 954 to have it looked at. It still has a rattle in the motor. If my guy says it's the valves and I'm going to have to go into the motor anyway......should I?

I do one track day a year, so I do most of my riding on the street. I just don't want to mess up the rideablity (if that's a word) for a little (or a lot) more power.

This year I plan to have a custom map done for it so now would be the time to do the cams if it is the wise thing to do.

F/J
The only thing cams can do is to move the "meat" of the power curve up the tachometer or down....I've done a lot of cam work on v-twins, and any horsepower claims from manufacturers are found at extreme rpms, not throughout the rev range.

Higher lobed cams WILL affect rideability. I rode a race-prep GSXR-1000 a few years back and it was a bear under 6000rpm.

If I had the head apart on my 954, I would port and polish.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I put in Erion cams in my 929 and rode it the rest of the season(track). It was a dog coming off corners and only made good power above 8k. Over that winter I degreed the cams and it moved the power down the rpm range so it felt mor like stock in the mid and still had the upper rpm power as before. Then I had it mapped and gained 7peak hp. Engine was stock and cams, made 150 at the wheel.

Now if you ride it on the street, it would still be a dog. Cams go in an engine that needs to be REVVED all the time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So...I guess you are saying that I should only change the cams if I was going to use the bike for the track.

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
I have some Erion Race spec cams, after disliking the low and mid end, I chose to just use the intake race cam with great results. I gained everywhere (seat of the pants) in the power band.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
fastjester said:
So...I guess you are saying that I should only change the cams if I was going to use the bike for the track.
Well, if you never plan on riding with the revs below 7-8k, sure!

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
My suggestion is to save your money.

It's not a cheap mod, and you don't get much by just dropping in the cams.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts