Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys! Newbie from South Africa here.

Sorry, I'm repeating myself! Still learning my way around the site.

Bought myself a 1991 CBR400RR NC29 a month ago as my first bike! Enjoying it a lot! Even dropped it in the first month (enjoying it to much)! Now it has become a bit of a project to restore it. So here is my question: Did the 1991 NC29 come out with a choke, as mine is missing.

If it did have a choke, is it necessary to fit a new one, or should it be fine without it?

Would really appreciate the help from the experts!

Thanks a lot!

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Mine, 1992 model, has a choke on it which gets used during the winter sometimes or if she has stood for a while without starting.. Whether you will need one or not depends on how cold it gets where you are in the winter..

If you do need a choke cable they aren't expensive from people like David Silver Spares or Wemoto :thumb:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A follow up question to you experts out there. Do you need to start the bike with the choke? As mine has no choke, I would say no, but it does splutter a bit, the revs is well below the 1500 rpm set (round about 900 to 1000), and it does die on the odd occasion on start up from cold.

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
A follow up question to you experts out there. Do you need to start the bike with the choke? As mine has no choke, I would say no, but it does splutter a bit, the revs is well below the 1500 rpm set (round about 900 to 1000), and it does die on the odd occasion on start up from cold.
It's not necessary but can help you start the bike when it's cold. The tickover on yours might be a little low, try setting it to about 1100 - 1200 rpm and she should start a little easier.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I took my NC23 to a workshop, my choke was also missin, they made a frankenstein choke that works perfect haha at no cost. simple peace of wire and key ring.

·
Registered
14 Posts
ooh, while we're in the subject of chokes... I took mine off when doing some jobs to my bike, and cant remember how the bloody thing goes back!! Its the end that the metal cylinder wraps around the metal coil thing...does that make sense?? ..Now I know why I was never any good at English and explaining things! :idunno:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I attached a extract from the Haynes Manual (a must have for any CBR owner) that outlines the installation of the choke. Mind you, it's in english, but maybe the pictures will help.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts