Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of getting my race license by Learning Curves. I would like to hit some local races at Gingerman and Grattan next year ('07), while heading out to different tracks via track days so I can learn them before I race(duh!). Since I keep getting kicked off when I go to the WERA page, I was wondering if you racers can help me out. I was wondering what the entry fees usually run, and how you work your way up the "ladder". I have seen that there are usually A, B, C classes for Novice races at Grattan. Are the groups based on qualifying times or what? :idunno: Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
5,711 Posts
I've only raced with CCS and CRA. They do not have separate A, B, and C groups for novices. You are simply gridded in order of entry. Qualifying is typically not used in club racing - takes too long. For CCS, licensing fees are $110/season ($75 after 7/1 and $35 after 9/1). Pre-Entry fees are $70 first entry, $50 second entry, and $35 for each additional. Some classes are $70 entry regardless of how many others you've entered.

Learning Curves is a good place to start. They will answer all your questions. Say hello to Brian McLaughlin for me!

·
Registered
476 Posts
A, B and C classes are based on what type of bike your on. Your 600rr can be run in C class. You can also run in a higher class so your 600 can run in B (which is typically for 750 inline 4's) and C class (which will have 1000s). I'm not sure where the twins fall into the classes but they are there too.

Its pretty common for good racers to run their 600's in all 3 classes. I have seen some guys win all three on 600's also.

Every association has there own rules regarding Novice and Expert here are the WERA rules:
Novices finishing in the top 5 in any of their classes at the Grand National Finals and/or in the top five in points in their class in their Region will be advanced to Expert status the following season. Novice riders not meeting the above criteria may apply for advancement to Expert status by submitting a written request to WERA Headquarters, which may or may not be allowed pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters. Riders may decline advancement via writing or email to WERA Headquarters if they feel they are not ready to compete on the Expert level, and may or may not be allowed to retain Novice status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters.
4. A rider may apply to move down in status from Expert to Novice if: a) he has not competed for more than one year; or b) he is being beaten consistently by Novice riders. Riders may or may not be allowed to move down in status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters.

For a first time racer you may want to consider the lightweight class. Or maybe even the vintage classes. The slower speeds are more forgiving and you have more time to learn how to corner, pass, the line etc.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
For a first time racer you may want to consider the lightweight class. Or maybe even the vintage classes. The slower speeds are more forgiving and you have more time to learn how to corner, pass, the line etc.
That sounds like pretty good advice to me.. wonder what ND4SPD and Heavy-Dee think about that in retrospect..

·
Registered
170 Posts
start small... but having a liter bike is not a bad thing... these classes are usually smaller and dont have a lot people compared to the 600 classes.... but just be careful and go out there to win.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts