Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
For anyone still thinking of doing this (super old thread, I know) -- if you happen to get your hands on one of these monsters that has HTEV ... let's just put it this way -- I've owned this bike for a LONG time ... It was much less than 10 years old when I got my '03 954rr and let's just say I always thought my buddy's 02 felt a bunch faster and suspected it was, but never knew why.

Went through hell this week fixing a fuel pump issue -- took me more time than any project should thanks to the genius way they wire the pump and this lovely issue that just happened to be exactly my issue too -
- so after replacing the fuel pump and still being down ... having to do the entire job all over again and then some ...

Long story short, during the process I was forced to go over the entire motorcycle 10 times over tracking down the issue, and while doing so found two issues - A loose speed sensor (NBD, but fixed it) -- and cables hanging off the HTEV valve and therefore not being actuated. Fixed that while I was at it ... and holy crap, it's a whole new bike.

YOU DO NOT want to disable that valve. I am SO PISSED that for 10 years I was down on SO MUCH low end and midrange power I had no idea. The difference between having to really try to get the front wheel to come up under accelaration and having to really try hard to keep it DOWN anything past 1/4-1/2 throttle.

The midrange gained is amazing, too -- all around street rideability is so much better -- and the sound is unchanged. I've had a LOT of time on this bike, and let me tell you -- you DO NOT want to remove this valve.

....and if your bike doesn't feel like it's got the power it used to, or isn't making the power it should -- check these cables, make sure they're in place and moving freely. You'll be happy you did -- and anyone who removes it will regret it if it's only a street-ridden bike. No idea what the benefit for elminating this is for the track ... but for the street ... I can say with certainty -- don't do it!

Lost days of sleep over figuring out how to fix this fuel pump issue, but all-in-all it was worth it because I found this issue, fixed this issue, and I feel like I got an entirely new bike, and I'm so damn happy about it.

PS - if anyone needs a working 2003 CBR 954rr fuel pump -- say the word!

edit: for the record, and just verified myself -- I believe the valve has a few different positions, but for those who are curious, it appears the valve actuates to the primary position at a much lower RPM than the above stated 8,000; I think if 8,000 is correct, that's when it moves to its secondary position. Video for reference -

Hope this helps someone wondering about this mod (or that has a mysterious fuel pump issue that makes no sense) -- 7 years later :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
For anyone still thinking of doing this (super old thread, I know) -- if you happen to get your hands on one of these monsters that has HTEV ... let's just put it this way -- I've owned this bike for a LONG time ... It was much less than 10 years old when I got my '03 954rr and let's just say I always thought my buddy's 02 felt a bunch faster and suspected it was, but never knew why.

Went through hell this week fixing a fuel pump issue -- took me more time than any project should thanks to the genius way they wire the pump and this lovely issue that just happened to be exactly my issue too -
- so after replacing the fuel pump and still being down ... having to do the entire job all over again and then some ...

Long story short, during the process I was forced to go over the entire motorcycle 10 times over tracking down the issue, and while doing so found two issues - A loose speed sensor (NBD, but fixed it) -- and cables hanging off the HTEV valve and therefore not being actuated. Fixed that while I was at it ... and holy crap, it's a whole new bike.

YOU DO NOT want to disable that valve. I am SO PISSED that for 10 years I was down on SO MUCH low end and midrange power I had no idea. The difference between having to really try to get the front wheel to come up under accelaration and having to really try hard to keep it DOWN anything past 1/4-1/2 throttle.

The midrange gained is amazing, too -- all around street rideability is so much better -- and the sound is unchanged. I've had a LOT of time on this bike, and let me tell you -- you DO NOT want to remove this valve.

....and if your bike doesn't feel like it's got the power it used to, or isn't making the power it should -- check these cables, make sure they're in place and moving freely. You'll be happy you did -- and anyone who removes it will regret it if it's only a street-ridden bike. No idea what the benefit for elminating this is for the track ... but for the street ... I can say with certainty -- don't do it!

Lost days of sleep over figuring out how to fix this fuel pump issue, but all-in-all it was worth it because I found this issue, fixed this issue, and I feel like I got an entirely new bike, and I'm so damn happy about it.

PS - if anyone needs a working 2003 CBR 954rr fuel pump -- say the word!

edit: for the record, and just verified myself -- I believe the valve has a few different positions, but for those who are curious, it appears the valve actuates to the primary position at a much lower RPM than the above stated 8,000; I think if 8,000 is correct, that's when it moves to its secondary position. Video for reference -

Hope this helps someone wondering about this mod (or that has a mysterious fuel pump issue that makes no sense) -- 7 years later :p
I’m willing to bring back a older thread, I had a similar fuel pump issue. It was a combo with the fuel reg and the fuel pump itself. Causing fuel to drain into the crank and out onto the ground. So your saying it’s better if the htev is broken to just replace the servo?

21 - 22 of 22 Posts