Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is smacking a child the correct way to discipline them or does it cause long term 'damage". In some countries smacking is against the law but do parents need such laws in place when it comes to raising children. If you agee with that would you let it go one step further and give school teachers the authority to smack or use the cane?

If you were smacked as a child then thinking back do you think you earned it? :think:

·
Registered
533 Posts
I think it's a bad idea and I hate to see people hit their kids in public. I'm not near as bad as my old manager when I was a repo guy. He saw a guy hit his kid and he tore off his nametag and went after the dude throwing him out of the store and damn near breaking the guys arm.

I was never hit growing up because my dad was beaten by his father and swore he would never do it. He did threaten me with a backhand a few times but never did it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think there’s a limit to everything. Like for example, if my child is throwing snow in other peoples faces or hitting them. And I repeatedly told him to stop. Hitting them might become an option just to show that it hurts and you shouldn’t do it to others. Then there is abuse where people beat there kids, punching, hard smacking in the face and such. I think tapping them in the butt firmly depending on what they did is appropriate. That’s shows that it hurts but does not inflict the acknowledgment of violence but disicpline. When i was younger I was smacked in the butt with a belt, I think you learn quickly from that as you long as you did something wrong that needed that kind of attention.

Just my .02
Pat

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I was spanked as a child and deserved it.
I spank my child when he deserves it.
If some jackass came after me for giving my child discipline that guy would end up ****ed over.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was spanked as a child and deserved it.
I spank my child when he deserves it.
If some jackass came after me for giving my child discipline that guy would end up ****ed over.

I agree, I think some people overreact when they see a child being disaplined. They just see abuse but they also dont know the whole story. Especially if they dont have kids. But most of the time when you see kids getting there but whipped in malls for not listening. Its seems like the parent just disaplines and doesnt compinsate for the beating. Thats just one case scenario, but thats what most people see and apply it to everyone.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
I doubt it.
Doubt it all you want, it would happen, period. He'd have to be bigger than me, more highly trained than me and be bulletproof.
Your wittle buddy would have been laid out, no questions asked.
Little prissy-assed losers that are coming up in today's PC environment have screwed up too many things in society. You should all disappear for the better of mankind.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I haven't seen too many prissy repo guys and if you think you are going to get tossed out of a public establishment for beating your kid and come back in with a gun then you are in fantasy land. You must be the guy punching the air and stuff watching action movies. No wonder you beat your kid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My dad used to beat the living crap out of me. Did I deserve it? Probably. Did he go overboard? A few times, like when he KO'd me with an uppercut and sent me flying into a couch. All in all, I turned out fine. I think spanking is ok, as long as the spanker doesn't lose it (and I've definately seen my dad lose it which was NOT ok). I think it builds character for children when done appropriately.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thats a hard question. I see WAY more kids acting like a fool, doing whatever they damn well please cause there stupid parents dont know how to be a parent, than actually giving their kids discipline. The problem is that too many young people are poppin babies out. If I ever have kids I will use my own judgement when to spank them. Beating and using discipline are not even comparable. School teachers have no right to spack/spank/beat/cane/etc children in the school. If the parents would do the ****ing job that they signed up for, teachers wouldnt have to do it. Dont abuse the children. Dont abuse the ladies.

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
The only thing I see wrong with it is some parents go overboard. But those parents are always going to be that way, reguardless of any law. I believe it is a good idea if not done in anger. I got my butt spanked numerous times.. i'm not damaged, i'm better for it.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I deserved my whoopins, my kids deserve the ones they receive, I don't go overboard with it....I mean, when the kids were young I spanked them and now its just a tone of voice that lets them know where the line is. I agree with BDA, NO MAN will question me about how my kids are raised! I don't go overboard but my kids are less likely to go to jail,the kids now days think they're tuff because mommy and daddy never had the balls to give them a smack on the ass when they deserved it. am I the only one that notices this trend of kids going overboard because they don't mind breaking the law because when they get home they go on a "Time Out"? I mean come on, don't kick their ass. just spank'em and put them in check when they are young so when they start getting older you can just warn them and thats all it takes.......

S

·
0 Posts
I don't agree with "Smacking" a child. However, it is sometimes necessary to introduce the board of knowledge to the seat of understanding in the proper way. I try to take the time to sit down with my kids & make sure they understand what it is that they've done wrong & why they must be punished. Just smacking a child can cause severe issues later in life.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I don't agree with "Smacking" a child. However, it is sometimes necessary to introduce the board of knowledge to the seat of understanding in the proper way. I try to take the time to sit down with my kids & make sure they understand what it is that they've done wrong & why they must be punished. Just smacking a child can cause severe issues later in life.
wel....yeah you don't just clock the kid and walk away....explaining helps to prevent the mistake from happening repeatedly!

·
Registered
954 Posts
My dad never realy smacked me..cupped me in the back of the head a couple of times when i was growing up to let me know i was being an idiot and should smarten the **** up and it didnt do any emotional damage to me and i think parents should have the right to spank their kids but like stated earlier shouldnt punch them or anything sever like that

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Depending on the child that logic will only work to certain point in my limited experience, children work out pretty quickly that conversation & negotiation is pretty mild punishment so kids being kids they push the limits. I have good friends who refuse to smack their son and guess who runs the house?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Depending on the child that logic will only work to certain point in my limited experience, children work out pretty quickly that conversation & negotiation is pretty mild punishment so kids being kids they push the limits. I have good friends who refuse to smack their son and guess who runs the house?

WERD!:thumb:

S

·
0 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. It's more like conversation that helps them to understand why they are going to get the board on their a$$ beforehand. Because we make it a practice of following through on things, we usually don't have the need to spank. We have six children & get told often that they are very well behaved.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry LITEITUP, I have to disagree with you. Seriously teachers need to have some form of authority and a plan for discipline. It is quite easy to state that "if parents did the job they are supposed to then teachers wouldn't need to discipline", you seem to overlook the fact that from about the age of 5, your child spends more time in the company of their teacher than their parents. Yes the foundation needs to be set firstly in the family environment, but who is at school to ensure they uphold the rules. I do not regularly smack my kids, I try to reason with them and give them a stint in time out, if they continue with the bad behaviour, they get smacked. On the rare occassion that they are smacked, they know that they have pushed the boundaries big time and have really disappointed me. I usually get a week of fab behaviour after it :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you misunderstood my post. It's more like conversation that helps them to understand why they are going to get the board on their a$$ beforehand. Because we make it a practice of following through on things, we usually don't have the need to spank. We have six children & get told often that they are very well behaved.
Yes it seems I did and following through is the most important thing no matter what form of disipline you promise your kids.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts