Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Thinking about switching my low beam to a 5000k HID kit but I'm a bit worried about all the glare from HID's since the stock headlight housing is not designed to handle the light output of HID's properly. Have any of you switched to HID's, any regrets or concerns?

I would be installing the kit on a CBR 954

·
Registered
200 Posts
I picked up an '03 RC51 in April that came with a HID kit. Riding at night I love 'em. With the high beam on I feel like I can see forever. However, I have been flashed a couple times during the day for my low beams. They are pretty bright. I look at it as a blessing, at least they noticed me! Haven't been flashed at night at all.

I have noticed that it does take a few seconds for the high beam to "warm up". But once it has they flash on and off as quick as normal.

No concerns yet.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Its not the light output really.. its the design of the bulb. An HID bulb generally tends to be longer then a standard bulb. So the actual bulb is sitting farther out from the reflectors then a normal bulb. Thats the Glare

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you guys reccomend a good hid kit to buy? I know really nothing about these newer lighting systems. I think they'd be a great benefit for me out here in the desert. In the summer time it's mostly night cruising.

·
Registered
57 Posts
DDMTuning is where I've purchased all of my kits from, really cheap prices and so far I've had no problems with a total of 9 kits installed so far in mine and fellow riders bikes. As for the 954, I have the 5k for my middle (low) beam and 6k's for my high beams. With all 3 flipped on it lights the entire road like it's daylight out - awesome! Just don't try to ride in town with the high beams on and not expect to get flashed or pulled over. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I plan on getting my kit from DDM Tuning as well, cant beat the price. For you guys that have installed HID's do you recommend using a timer relay as well or simply let your HID's warm up (8-10 secs) before turning on the bike?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yeah I plan on getting my kit from DDM Tuning as well, cant beat the price. For you guys that have installed HID's do you recommend using a timer relay as well or simply let your HID's warm up (8-10 secs) before turning on the bike?
I would not recommend letting them warm up before starting the bike - they put a tremendous strain on the battery during the ballast start period. Your best bet is either a timer delay or a toggle switch on the ground wire. Kill the power during start up then toggle them on. If you simply let them warm up before starting the bike you'll end up needing a new battery a lot sooner than you would normally.

The one other option, put the bike in neutral before turning the key on, hold down the start button then turn the key. The 954 turns off the headlight during the start automatically - that's what I do.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
...The one other option, put the bike in neutral before turning the key on, hold down the start button then turn the key. The 954 turns off the headlight during the start automatically - that's what I do.

Oh wow, didnt know that. Thank you for the tip, much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
adjust the headlights down a little, and people don`t complain

That's exactly what I've always done with my HID equipped cars/bikes and never had any problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts