Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so rather than going way OT on the other thread, I figured I'd start one here.

Toblerone as we know it has been around since 1908, while the guy responsible for it has been making chocolate since before 1867 (&#33. According to their historical blurbs, they even employed Einstein for a time (not to be confused with Mr. 11K, Einstegen). Anyways, it's some of the best mass-produced chocolate in the world IMPO (in my professional opinion ). It's a shame that it's not easy to find here in the US, and that it costs at least 2-3X as much as it does in Euroland.

http://www.toblerone.com/

Since this is a chocolate thread, I'd like to add some other favorites: Rocher, Nutella, Mon Cheri, and the many Ritter Sport and Lindt chocolates. Not a complete list, but some I haven't had in so long they're barely a memory.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I used to have Nutella in my summers at grandma's farm in the former Yugoslavia. She'd make homemade bread, all toasty and spread that stuff on. Yummy!!

Cadbury Milk chocolate from Switzerland (not US Cadbury - which is actually Hershey's BTW&#33 is soo good! Is soo smooth with that hint of vanilla. Can't find it here, but when a coworker heads there on business, thay always bring back the most kick-ass chocolates, especially Cadbury.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm a sucker for some good chocolate. So thanks to Zeeman and y'all two I'm now on a mission to find this Toblerone, which I don't think I have heard of before. So thanks y'all three.

BTW now y'all have me sitting here munching on Ghirardelli, which is pretty damn good.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BizJetGuy : Our friends from Finland always bring 'Fazer' chocolate when they come back from across the pond.  Good stuff

I don't know if it's native to Finland, though
'Father' chocolate? Never heard of it

·
Registered
497 Posts
According to Toblerone website the duty free shop at the airport is the best place to find it. I guess I'll have to visit IAH.

·
Registered
735 Posts
nedro : Quote (RacerCutie @ Aug. 14 2003, 1:05pm)I used to have Nutella in my summers at grandma's farm in the former Yugoslavia. She'd make homemade bread, all toasty and spread that stuff on. Yummy!!
Which country?
Croatia. Stubicka Toplica is the town, near Zagreb.
Her address was something like:
'The second house East of the church, next the big oak tree'

·
Registered
306 Posts
BizJetGuy : Our friends from Finland always bring 'Fazer' chocolate when they come back from across the pond.  Good stuff

That 'Fazer' stuff is native to Finland and its history also dates quite far back, to 1891. Quite good stuff, not as sweet as Toblerone though. It is also exported in certain quantities(not as much as Finlandia Vodka though ) so at least those of you who travel to europe have a chance to pick it up from some airports etc.

This goes a little off-topic, but those of you with Finnish friends need to ask for 'Salmiakki' next time your friends come over. Thats a local specialty candy that you really need to try.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
tnarinen : Quote (BizJetGuy @ Aug. 14 2003, 4:24pm)Our friends from Finland always bring 'Fazer' chocolate when they come back from across the pond.  Good stuff

That 'Fazer' stuff is native to Finland and its history also dates quite far back, to 1891. Quite good stuff, not as sweet as Toblerone though. It is also exported in certain quantities(not as much as Finlandia Vodka though ) so at least those of you who travel to europe have a chance to pick it up from some airports etc.

This goes a little off-topic, but those of you with Finnish friends need to ask for 'Salmiakki' next time your friends come over. Thats a local specialty candy that you really need to try.
Since you're our Official Finnish Friend, how about doing some of that exporting you mentioned?

·
Registered
306 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Quote (tnarinen @ Aug. 14 2003, 5:53pm)Quote (BizJetGuy @ Aug. 14 2003, 4:24pm)Our friends from Finland always bring 'Fazer' chocolate when they come back from across the pond.  Good stuff

Since you're our Official Finnish Friend, how about doing some of that exporting you mentioned?

Damn, you caught me,

Here's the . Next time you set up a Fireblades track day, you set me up a borrow-ride (I doesn't even need to be a blade; a HRC tuned 600 rr will do just fine, thank you for asking) there and I'll use some of my frequent flyer miles to bring you all the Finnish chocolade and 'Salmiakki' (and even some Vodka) you can eat/drink. Where do I put my signature?  

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
tnarinen : Damn, you caught me,

Here's the . Next time you set up a Fireblades track day, you set me up a borrow-ride (I doesn't even need to be a blade; a HRC tuned 600 rr will do just fine, thank you for asking) there and I'll use some of my frequent flyer miles to bring you all the Finnish chocolade and 'Salmiakki' (and even some Vodka) you can eat/drink. Where do I put my signature?  
Hmm, ok, just bring some Finnish/Swedish chicas along... wouldn't want to drink or eat all that chocolate alone

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
RacerCutie : Quote (nedro @ Aug. 14 2003, 5:15pm)Quote (RacerCutie @ Aug. 14 2003, 1:05pm)I used to have Nutella in my summers at grandma's farm in the former Yugoslavia. She'd make homemade bread, all toasty and spread that stuff on. Yummy!!
Which country?
Croatia. Stubicka Toplica is the town, near Zagreb.
Her address was something like:
'The second house East of the church, next the big oak tree'
Flew over that country many times and probably your grandmon's place. Awesome scenery.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Get some Hair of the Dog Adam Beer and some chocolate from Trader Joes (think its just the broken pieces of the huge hershey Bars) Dont get me wrong it is a chocolate experience more than a beer experience.

The experience can be better than sex at times.

·
Registered
306 Posts
2OHOH2954 : Quote (tnarinen @ Aug. 14 2003, 6:19pm)Damn, you caught me,

Hmm, ok, just bring some Finnish/Swedish chicas along... wouldn't want to drink or eat all that chocolate alone
Since I've already gotten her to serve as pit girl for abs in Scandinavia Open, I may as well take her along

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
tnarinen : Quote (2OHOH2954 @ Aug. 14 2003, 6:29pm)Quote (tnarinen @ Aug. 14 2003, 6:19pm)Damn, you caught me,

Since I've already gotten her to serve as pit girl for abs in Scandinavia Open, I may as well take her along
Now you're talkin'! Don't forget her two sisters, though

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Racercutie said

Quote Cadbury Milk chocolate from Switzerland (not US Cadbury - which is actually Hershey's BTW!

Actually Cadbury Milk chocolate is from Bournville, Birmingham England. Cadbury tried to buy Hershey recently, (so did Nestle and everbody else for that matter). The Hershey charitable trust wanted to sell out to maximise it's revenues for good works but the but the townsfolk blocked it.

Lindt is my favourite BTW, although Cadbury Fruit and Nut Milk Chocolate takes some beating.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts