Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently sold my honda prelude and bought a 2003 CBR600RR with the money. I'm a very inexperienced sportbike rider and everyone tells me this bike is too much to handle. Maybe so, maybe not... However my biggest concern is feeling too cramped and uncomfortable. I'm 6'4" and since this is my first sportbike I'm wondering if the bike is indeed too small or if i just need to get used to riding a crotchrocket

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Hi and welcome to the site - to me it would depend on the application. Some people can tolerate the discomfort for the perfomance gains. If you have to ride 30 mins in traffic to work every day it might be a bit much to handle.. Any bike I ride i want to be comfortable on, dirt or road..

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
:welcome: i agree with ORG but also think you should be worried about learning to ride the bike before moving up to a bigger bike. have you taken a safety coarse? I am 6'2" and started on a 600, I feel your pain brother:rotfl:
don't know how far you ride but should be able to adjust to it for now.:thumb:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I remember in the 80's when the 600 Hurricane came out and it was cheap and had lots of horsepower...for it's time. Lots of guys had one as their first bike ever. I've never, ever seen one that wasn't dropped.

Learn to ride on a POS cruiser. Especially given that you don't really fit that machine extremely well. There's a good chance you'll go down in your first season whether it's in a parking lot trying to turn around or panicing the first time an asshole in a Buick desides not to make room for you. At the very least you'll save a lot of money if it happens on an 87 Virago.

There are 2 types of riders...those who have crashed...and those who will crash.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everyone was telling me i should have bought a pos first.. which is probably true, but i got an insane deal on the cbr. $4000 and it's only got 2500 miles and in mint condition. I'm just taking my chances that i'll get used to driving it before i total it, haha

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for those links... However, would u say that there is some degree of crowding for all crotchrockets? I'm just wondering if my feeling of being slightly crowded on the bike is normal. Since this is my first sportbike i wouldn't really know.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
6'4" is not too tall for a 600, but a 600 may be too much for a new rider. Sportbikes are designed to be ridden with the rider tucked in low for the best aerodynamics, so feeling "crowded" on the bike (as opposed to being sprawled out on a cruiser!) is considered normal.

·
Registered
514 Posts
for someone your size, crowding is unavoidable.

since you have long arms, you won't need the risers; but, the adjustable rearsets should help tremendously. (adjust them down and back)

i'm 6'4" too and started on a RZ-350 (two stroke street bike) then moved up to several 600s. wrecked all but the last 600, btw. i'm now on a 929 and it still it feels small, yet tolerable.

although you'll always be tempted to let your bike run, don't. take it very slow. just putter round town and put as many miles as you can before even thinking about going fast. you need to develope an intuition on how the bike reacts in demanding situations; and consequently, how you react.

try not using the rear brake unless you get into trouble.

take it slow, you'll be fine. sure, an ol cruiser would have been better to learn on. but, hey you found a great bike!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Gravey leg's right...you'll always feels crowded on a sporty bike. It's unavoidable at your height. But it is a great bike and it's really cool that you got it. I just want to urge you not to overestimate your ability or underestimate the bike's. That bike can kill you. For real.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts