Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

Am new to the forum. I've had my 08 blade for 2 months and done 2000km I live in south africa in joburg the elevation is 5000 ft above sea level. my question is when I do top speed runs my bike really battles from 290 to get to 300 is this normal other guys have talked with say it rockets to 299 :hmm:

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

Are the other people you have spoken to you from the same place e.g. same elevation?

I thought the new bikes being manufactured were limited to 186MPH/297.6KPH? I doubt you are going to see anything different unless you adjust the stock gearing - but then I don't see the point.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply the other guys are from the same elevation. The true speed indicated by GPS is 277. Think I should get the bike on the dyno. Just a little worried that the bike might be down on power . Saw the video on youtube 08 fireblade top speed and that blade really accelerates and hits 299 easily could it be the U.S version even though it revs lower ?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
How much more than the other guys do you weigh? I have trouble keepin up on str8s but im 300lbs, (down from 330, :thumb: ), i make up for it in the twisties though. they could have done sprocket mods, like say down in the front which makes their accel better but really makes the top end optimistic (as if it already isnt).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I weigh 180 lbs . maybe thats it got back from a ride earlier and I see that the bike has leaked some coolant hope its nothing major they serviced it a 1000 km ago would it still be possible they over filled it ?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
If they are reaching 299 easier and also their RPM is lower, this indicates that the gearing has changed e.g. making the rear sproket smaller will increase top speed, but decrease acceleration.

Its wise to investigate where the coolant has come from yourself as the last thing you want is coolant flying all over your rear wheel when riding.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The coolant is coming from the overflow hose what I cant understand is why it never did it straight after the service and only now after a 1000km ! Might just take it to the dealer. the coolant level is at maxium when warmed up. Was watching all the youtube videos of some of these guys motoring on the freeway flip they move it !

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I don't think it's a possibility.
It's a fact.
Whether it's noticeable would come down to how familiar you are with the bike and how you ride it. If you live at high altitude every bike is going to be similarly down on power so a 1000RR is still going to have an advantage over a 929. Measure the 929 at sea level though and it may well have more power than the 1000RR at 5000ft.
On the other hand, if you ride around without going over 6000rpm you'd likely never notice the reduced power.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts