Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed an o ring in my cooling system. My manual didnt specify a torque value for the two bolts holding the water joint (p/n 19060-mcj-000) but google thinks its 9 ft lb. This makes sense cause the coolant drain plug (similar bolt) is 9 ft lb.

My torque wrench only goes as low as 10 ft lb. I can use my in lb wrench and convert to 108 in lb.

I tried both in a vise and it just seems like a lot of pressure for a small bolt. And the last thing i wanna do is pull out the aluminum threads. So i went by feel with a 3/8 drive socket "snug" and figured i'd check for leaks.

Just looking for opinions on this/what you guys do. Usually have no fear But aluminum makes me nervous especially when its in a tight spot like the water joint on my 954.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,222 Posts
For any 6mm thread bolt, either a 10mm head or 8mm head, I use my 1/4” inch-lbs torque wrench. The 3/8” is too big to get an accurate reading that low on the scale.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys that makes sense. I dont have 1/4 on hand and def will have to pick one up

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
After 55 years of spannering I'm STILL nervous of tightening small bolts into aluminium. Not so much the rarely used bolts, I pretty much know by now how much to torque them by hand and if the female threads are still good then no sweat. What can sometimes trip you up is the more frequently used bolts for example camshaft holder bolts which sometimes have to be undone/ done a few times if you're doing a valve clearance check/adjustment. These threads wear even if you religiously put molyslip grease on them. Last year I had one give up the ghost on me, but the good news is that helicoil repairs are stronger than the original.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts