Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding home from work on the GW Parkway outside of DC when it happened. I had noticed some street sweepers further back down behind me on the parkway that looked like they were being put up for the day. I didn’t think much of it at the time. However, when I was starting down this long winding offramp I was going about 70mph. When all of a sudden I see this huge pile of muck (tree debris and wet soil mixed together) that one of the street cleaners must have dropped when they picked their brushes up to go around this bridge. I already had the bike leaned over and couldn’t change lanes because there was a Camry next to me and a car behind it. I couldn’t brake in time so I tried righting the bike to ride thru it. No dice. The bike slipped down on it’s side right away and I went sliding and tumbling about 200 feet, maybe further. The bike slid at speed into the guardrail and it did $11K in damages so the insurance company totaled the bike. My jacket did its job and was shredded. No upper body injuries. My jeans were shredded and my knee was hurt. Right after I stood up I could see the blood coming thru my jeans at the knee. Everything was fine but my knee – but the bike was gone. So I got myself a 2005 CBR 1000RR to replace it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
:thumbd: Sorry to hear it, main thing is you are still around to try again, recon you might try leather kecks next time, might save them knees:eyebrows:

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Another in a long line of really good reasons not to lean aggressively when you can't see what's ahead. Thanks for jacking up all our insurance rates.

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
:plus1:
If poss, allways try to wear full gear all the time, even if its a short trip, glad to hear you are ok though.
:plus1: ATGATT ...All The Gear All The Time...next time it could be a lot worse.

Glad you're not in too bad a shape, have a speedy recovery :thumb:

·
Registered
21 Posts
glad your OK!!!! thats the main point,1 option is the Alpine Stars jeans with the pads and reinforcments in them,i have had them for a couple years now and have held up well,thankfully i have not had to test there durability,that is when full leathers is not goin to work for you! stay safe and keep it on at leat one wheel:smilierr:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you made it OK. Bought a stock rc, and wanted to do so much to it, but suited up first. Have to go to work the next day; can always fix the bike. It's a pain in the butt to suit up just go to the store but ....humm maybe I should start wearing my seat belt.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sorry to hear of your loss. And thanks for making my RC51 Worth more, It's going to be harder to find another one ;and last but not least you did not replace it with a cbr ,nothing can replace an RC; you did substituted though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts