Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pulled a real bonehead move over the weekend while removing my front wheel and I scratched it (with the brakes). Has anyone ever applied touch-up paint to their wheels to fix scratches like this? If so, what kind/color? My wheels are the OEM black but it could make for a tricky match.

On a related note, re-installing the back wheel is a real b!tch to do by yourself.

·
Premium Member
2,692 Posts
I usually go to Pep Boys and try to match up some of their automotive touch-up paint. Haven't had to do it for this bike yet.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
the back wheel isn't so bad with practice... Trick is, when you get the wheel in there and the axle half in, push it in till it gets right to the other side of the wheel, but not all the way through yet...

Then sit on the brake side, insert the brake carrier in the swingarm slot and push the wheel back tight against the sprocket/cush side... This will give you maximum room to get the caliper carrier up against the spacer, but still between the swingarm... Once its on there, push the axle all the way through...

Key to it though is pushing the wheel straight against the sprocket/cush, this buys you spare space for the brake assembly, which is the hateful part... The tolerances on a honda are very tight... Swap wheels on a yamaha and you'll see what I mean, theirs go right on with no headaches...

And for your wheels, I get some scratching on mine from wheel changes and it makes the bike look 'used', likes its being ridden, so I leave em...

·
Registered
92 Posts
I use black auto touch up paint for an old chevy truck I used to have. It does not match exactly but looks better than bright aluminum color showing through.

If you are picky about match, go to Honda dealer and buy exact color matched touch up paint. It costs a bit more but it matches.

If you can find an old AUDI 4000, graphite metallic gray, I bet that would match pretty closely.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of that bright aluminum color showing through. Has anyone stripped the paint from their rims? Does it look good? Would you need to put a clear coat over it?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Honda makes touch up paint for it that you can order through your dealer.

08P50-NH377M is the part #.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts