Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, it's not motorcycling, but it is 2 wheels. Anyone else looking forward to this year's race on 7/6 (OK, the Prologue is 7/5, but who cares)? A double treat this year - in celebration of the race's 100 year anniversary, they will run it through all of the same towns as the very first race in 1903. Secondly, Lance!! Will he pull out a fifth consecutive win to tie Indurain?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I don't follow it closely, but Lance is something else, so I'm crossing my fingers for him. Phreaking Phenomenal

Oh, how's it go? 'Driven by what's inside' *

*shameless Subaru plug

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
ND4SPDSHO : Aren't the French banned off this site?
Yeah but the American, and Texan Mr. Lance kicks their asses. Even after his nut was removed, ouch!

AZ929rr will have to keep us up on the stages, he used to race those damn things. I'm sure he wishes he was as good on his 929 as he was his tricycle

·
Registered
105 Posts
booth23 : Quote (ND4SPDSHO @ June 26 2003, 10:56pm)Aren't the French banned off this site?
Yeah but the American, and Texan Mr. Lance kicks their asses.  Even after his nut was removed, ouch!  

AZ929rr will have to keep us up on the stages, he used to race those damn things.  I'm sure he wishes he was as good on his 929 as he was his tricycle  
You and me Booth on your favorite twistie road, and then you will wish I was on my tricycle instead of my 929.
Back at ya

·
Registered
700 Posts
Bacchus : Yes, Lance is an arrogant dickhead as are most professional bicycle road-racers, but hey, he IS American - gotta root for the home team.
Say all you want - but he can back it up!

The man is amazing... just the simple fact that he has already won the toughest bicycle race in the world four times in a row is enough to earn ultimate respect.  But to come back from a bout with cancer in which he only had a 20% chance of even surviving and then accomplishing that feat is the stuff legends are made of.

And if you ever saw him around a group of young cancer patients, arrogant isn't the word that comes to mind... humility fits well.

I've been following the circuit a little this season to see how his preparation for the tour is progressing and I don't think anyone can touch him this year...

·
Registered
105 Posts
arrogant? Yes,  Self centered? Yes, but unfortunately that's pretty much true for most cyclist when they are still competing. Its called WANTING to WIN. Overall Lance is a good guy, rode with him a few years back.  He's (lance) good friends with some friends of mine, Jimmy Ricotello (Tri-Geek) and Gord Fraser (Pro cyclist). Also, is Lance's divorce final yet? Can't believe that one.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Az929RR : is Lance's divorce final yet? Can't believe that one.
Haven't heard... last news I heard was that they were separated and hadn't discussed divorce yet (but that was about two months ago).

I was thinking that they were going to just stay separated until after the Tour and then work things out - divorce or otherwise

·
Registered
700 Posts
He won his last 'tune-up' race for the Tour - the Dauphine Libere two weeks ago and won it in style, too.

He crashed hard in stage 6 (it's a 7 stage race) and then finished the descent at the end of the stage at over 80 kph   and then went on the win the overall.

Chris Carmichael has already predicted a fifth yellow jersey since Lance is in the best shape he's ever been in

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
If anyone gets a chance, definitely read his book. Lance is actually a better rider after his cancer than he was before

What makes Lance great is that he is almost equally strong in the flats and he is in the mountains (and he is untouchable in the mountains).

Comparing other great athletes to their sport and how dominant they are/were, especially considering coming back from his bout with cancer, Lance has to be considered one of the best ever.

Also, he got back with his wife

·
Registered
289 Posts
I met Lance when the Posties when they had their preseason training camp in Tucson a couple of years back. He is one SKINNY ASS dude. His bio say's he's 5'10' but I would guess more like 5'8' (or maybe he was hunched over because he was tired), and his racing weight is 154 lbs or so. The last time I was 154 pounds, I was in 7th grade.

I don't think that every good (great?) cyclist is necessarily a prick. When he is on the bike, sure, he's a prick. Gotta assert yourself if you want to be the king. But most good bike racers are pretty good guys off the bike. Lance is just particulary surly because most days, he spends as much time on his bike as you spend at your desk...

·
Registered
105 Posts
spillover,
Were in Tucson training or just hangin? I lived and trained in Tucson since 86'. I did most of my training with a friend of mine exPro Andy Bishop back in the day. I now live Chandler, AZ.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts