Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends and I like to tour on our sport bikes but its hard to carry any luggage for long trips. I looked every where for some sort of bag system for my cbr 1000 but couldn’t find anything other than the standard soft bags you hang over the tail and with the under tail exhaust and pointy tail they don’t work at all. I did buy a set of Nelson Rigg saddle bags and a tail bag which I am very happy with but they wouldn’t hang correctly on the tail so I decided to build a rack to make everything work. Im curious what other riders think and if the racks were available to buy would they sell. Here are a few pictures of the two styles I have built so far. I have been running my bags for two years through several long trips and they have worked very well. I don’t have any of that pesky flying saddle bag problem at speed either. Any suggestions for changes are very welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
nice! i love to see ingenuity and this is a stellar example. f&f looks first class. that is indeed something i would be interested in for the 08 body style.
i'm guessing you're assuming the use of integrated taillights? i can see how it would be tough to accommodate the wide number of possible setups. is there a diminished view of the taillight using the rack?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On my 04 I did go with the integrated rear signals. The rear fender was so huge it had to come off. Looking at the 08 though I think I can build something that will work with the rear fender in place. There are so many variation that yes it would be hard to account for all of them. One change im going to make is integrate in the rear passenger pegs so if you wanted you could carry saddle bags and a passenger. I am actually putting the 04 up for sale so I can get the 08 body style. The rear tail light isn’t obscured at all. On the R1 set up I had to run the cross bar right across the tail light and from behind you couldn’t tell the bar was there. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts