Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an '00 Silverado and want to pull a Sonoma ext. cab to Fla., to give to my daughter, cause her car is going down the tubes. I was wondering if anybody has used one of those 'dollies' that 2 wheels rest in and the other 2 roll along behind? Friken U-haul wants $350 for a full trailer and $200 for the dollie trailer. Can you back up on so the rear wheels are off the ground and tow that way? One guy told me I'd have to put the frt. wheels on it and remove the driveshaft. Hopefully, I can borrow atrailer from a friend of a friend. Any suggestions? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,983 Posts
I've seen it done both ways slowpoke! I don't see where it would matter... Either way, its two wheels off the ground and two on...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
ccwilli3 said:
I've seen it done both ways slowpoke! I don't see where it would matter... Either way, its two wheels off the ground and two on...
The distance from center of wheel to bumper is probably a good deal different between front and rear, especially on a P.U. You may want to see if it will clear your truck if it were towed backwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cbr99xx said:
The distance from center of wheel to bumper is probably a good deal different between front and rear, especially on a P.U. You may want to see if it will clear your truck if it were towed backwards.
Good point, I hadn't thought of that. The main reason I'd want to pull it backwards is to keep from removing the driveshaft. Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
driveshaft is real easy to remove, it's either 2 ubolts or 4 small bolts holding 2 straps. Disconnect from rear axle, leave connected to x-fer/tranny and wire the loose end up to the frame. Oh yeah, make sure to tape up the u-joint really good so you don't lose a cap. That's all there is to it, really simple!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
2k2954 said:
driveshaft is real easy to remove, it's either 2 ubolts or 4 small bolts holding 2 straps. Disconnect from rear axle, leave connected to x-fer/tranny and wire the loose end up to the frame. Oh yeah, make sure to tape up the u-joint really good so you don't lose a cap. That's all there is to it, really simple!
Sure, but you forgot to tell him he needs a cap on the output shaft of the tranny if he doesn't want a hell of a mess...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Two weeks ago I had to tow a Toyota truck due to a blown head gasket. I inquired at U-Haul about a tow dolly, but they said they are to tow front wheel drive cars only. The guy at U-Haul would not rent me the tow dolly, but could not tell me why a rear-wheel /4-wheel drive vehicle could not be used with the tow dolly. I had to go with the full trailer, no biggie though as it was only $10.00 more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
luvtolean said:
Sure, but you forgot to tell him he needs a cap on the output shaft of the tranny if he doesn't want a hell of a mess...
That is why I told him to leave the driveshaft attached to the tranny, disconnect only the end from the axle and wire the driveshaft out of the way under the truck. No mess this way, real easy.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,692 Posts
WildBillF1 said:
Two weeks ago I had to tow a Toyota truck due to a blown head gasket. I inquired at U-Haul about a tow dolly, but they said they are to tow front wheel drive cars only. The guy at U-Haul would not rent me the tow dolly, but could not tell me why a rear-wheel /4-wheel drive vehicle could not be used with the tow dolly. I had to go with the full trailer, no biggie though as it was only $10.00 more.
I would be willing to bet that this is another one of those 'common sense' problems. Someone somewhere rented a dolly, didn't pull the driveshaft and then sued U-Haul for a trashed trany. :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,390 Posts
2k2954 said:
That is why I told him to leave the driveshaft attached to the tranny, disconnect only the end from the axle and wire the driveshaft out of the way under the truck. No mess this way, real easy.

Oops. Yeah, my bad. Reading comprehenshun sucks today I guess...
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top