Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of you seen the news shots of the Toyota hearings in Washington?

Last night some tearful middle aged 'woman' described how her Toyota took off and would not slow down. This went on for miles and miles. She was so fearful that, as this was going to be her last monents on earth, she picked up her blackberry, dialled her husband so that his beloved voice would be the last thing she heard before oblivion......!!!!!....???????........!!!!!!!!!!!!

This person, allowed out on our roads, in a car that she could not control.... actually picked up a phone and began talking to her husband!!!!!!

What REALLY got my goat was that she was given SYMPATHY!!!

Should she not, in reallity, be charged with every violation in the book, endagering life, driving recklessly, using a mobile phone whilst in motion, etc. (How many more offences can you think of?)

Surely, even something as thick and stupid as an ageing American woman could have reached down and turned the ignition to...Off?

So an accelerator pedal sticks, it happens, but are people so divorced from the actual mechanics of controlling a motor vehicle that they cannot cope with something a little out of the ordinary?

Here's another thought. If I go out on the East Lancs road, pin the throttle in sixth and then swear to the plods that my throttle jammed open, how much sympathy do you think I would get??? (About twelve months at her Majesties pleasure I guess).

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Did you hear about the family who were also in a Prius - again the accelerator pedal got jammed (and I don't think the brakes were working).

They all died when they hit an intersection and from what I can remember went into a ditch - not sure if they collided with anyone.

The driver himself was on the phone to the emergency services as the line went dead.

Here's another thought. If I go out on the East Lancs road, pin the throttle in sixth and then swear to the plods that my throttle jammed open, how much sympathy do you think I would get??? (About twelve months at her Majesties pleasure I guess).
Try it and post what happens! :rotfl:

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
You can just put it in neutral and use the emergency brake, and if the brake doesn't work you can still put it in nuetral and coast to a stop, or you can put it into first gear and slow down quite rapidly, or you ca.......you get the picture. They should probably start teaching people these things in their begining driving lessons.

·
Registered
478 Posts
You can just put it in neutral and use the emergency brake, and if the brake doesn't work you can still put it in nuetral and coast to a stop, or you can put it into first gear and slow down quite rapidly, or you ca.......you get the picture. They should probably start teaching people these things in their begining driving lessons.
in the case of the family of 4 there were several "safety" mechanisms that kept the driver from doing that or shutting it off. The driver was a state trooper

·
Registered
82 Posts
Fact is Toyota hid the problems it was having with its autos and trucks, then when people went to toyota and said hey I think you have a problem they denied it then in internal memos came up with how they could still max out profits while fixing the issues all the while releasing commercials that say they are the most dependable car on the road.

That was intent to commit and cover up a crime, plain and simple I think the government should make an example of toyota and slap them with the biggest fine and sanctions in the auto industry history.

Does everyone realize that 80% of toyta's profits come from the US market?

My cars and trucks are all american Chevy all the way, for my bike snowblower and generator for my garage all HONDA.

·
Registered
21,183 Posts
Maybe Toyota is the new "natural selection" agent for the Americans had to happen somehow, I mean if obesity couldn do it then it had to be something electronic :D. Or or or maybe Toyota is trying a new angle on Pearl Harbour except for the fact that we don't speak americanese (leave us out of it):smilebig:

Seriously though find it rather difficult to understand why Toyota has allowed this to get so far out of hand, its going to kill their sales worldwide. On the other hand might manage to get one of those nice cruisers cheap now :D :D

Oh thanks jdugen for starting this thread I was beginning to think no one on here could think past two wheels :clap:

·
Registered
54 Posts
in the case of the family of 4 there were several "safety" mechanisms that kept the driver from doing that or shutting it off. The driver was a state trooper
Actually, the Prius in question, can be put in neutral while moving. Also, holding down the ignition button, will cut off the engine. Me and my fellow mechanics found many ways to stop, in the event of jammed accelerators.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Oh come on twin, surely common sense prevails, natural selection Im telling you :D
:rotfl: I bet the world leaders are in on this!

I thought it was common knowledge, to put a vehicle in neutral, in the event of a stuck throttle. They taught us that in driver's ed.
Thinking about it its the "normal" thing to do, in their shoes I don't think it even crosses their mind in the event of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.