Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy said:
Well it's about time...and how many people died before they found this problem??
"...the company had confirmed six cases in which the condition existed in the suspension. There have been no injuries associated with the problems."

Three quarter million units recalled because of 6 instances where a truck was hard to steer?

Of course Toyotas have problems too. Of course they have recalls. A recall is the responsible thing to do. You rarely see Ford or GM recalling for a "driver convenience" issue. "Front suspensions may hinder steering" isn't the same as "may catch fire or may roll over causing death" When Toyota brought out the 04 Sienna minivan, they immediately recalled them all because the gas tank could potentially become ruptured in a crash. They spent millions replacing the fuel tanks in the first production run of these vans, and yet never had a single occurence of a fuel tank being ruptured. It was a preventative measure. Toyota crash tested 100 of these vans to confirm the problem that the engineers were worried about and still not a single tank ruptured. In my experience, recalls with GM are a reactive measure, and are only brought in when they are completely unavoidable. I get recall notices on my desk every month. A recent one involved the snapping of cables which hold the tailgate up. And I actually had clients who lost their load at speed because the cables snapped. The recall was a reactionary measure, not a preventative one.

Ball joints that may have been scratched in the manufacturing process? Meh. I have over 400 heavy duty GM trucks on my rental fleet and guess what? The first time they go on the service roads, they ALL come back with split ball joints and need new control arms. Every single goddamn one. GM will pay for the repair, but then my client loses their truck for a week and I have the expense of sending them a no-cost replacement. So GM will pay for the repair, which is acknowledging that it's a manufacturer defect, yet they won't recall them and they continue to build them the exact same way. Why? The cost of re-engineering them and re-organizing the supply chain is greater than just paying for the damn repairs and the lawsuits. Toyota can change their supply chain almost instantaneously because they use a "just in time" process. Parts are trucked into the factory "just in time" to be installed on the car. Domestic manufacturers are still warehousing millions of parts. When oa part is defective, they still continue to produce the car with it until the supplies are used up.

I could continue but I don't think anyone made it past the 2nd paragraph anyway. You fuckers shouldn't have brought me into this.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Geez. This seems to have hit a nerve.
(I read your whole post, phobe!)
Seems like you made some good points. On the other hand, you're not comparing these cute little Toys to GM Heavy Duty trucks, are ya? :poke:

The auto industry sucks eggs.

Case in point:
There was a story on the news tonight about a design school in Philly. The school entered a nation-wide contest dealing with alternative-fuel cars. The team developed a hot-looking two-seat exotic-style open top sports car with dual engines: a Honda electric engine up front, and a 100-horse VW engine in the back. The car runs entirely on (CHEAP) corn oil, and gets 50 mpg. Oh yeah; it ALSO goes 0-60 in under four seconds! :D The team from the Philly school won first place, beating MIT, among others, in the process.

So...if a bunch of kids (granted, smart/talented ones) can build a running car that would put America's farmers back to work, help the economy, and help to reduce our dependence on oil, why can't the auto manufacturers do the same?

Well... at least part of the answer is in my question. Oil. The oil companies don't want the auto manufacturers to develop alternative-fuel cars. And those oil companies probably spend a lot of money to keep things exactly as they are. And the government doesn't seem overly concerned, either. Hell, the President is an oil man himself. :p

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Yes oil companies have a lot of influence and yes they would like things to stay as they are, but history has proven repeatedly that you can't stop technological progress. There have been many attempts at alternative fuels and still we keep going back to oil. Every alternative has had its drawbacks and I'm quite confident that if there had been an all-round better alternative it would have been adopted. I'd be skeptical of your corn oil car. I admit I don't know anything about it, but I think that when something sounds too good to be true it usually is.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
"I could continue but I don't think anyone made it past the 2nd paragraph anyway. You fuckers shouldn't have brought me into this.
Thanks for helping out with my chores. :D Normally I would have had to type that all, but instead went and did laundry after my sarcastic 1-liner...I come back and it's all taken care of for me :clap:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
phobiaphobe said:
A recent one involved the snapping of cables which hold the tailgate up. And I actually had clients who lost their load at speed because the cables snapped.
If the person has that much weight on the tailgate causing the cables to snap....AND where they lose their whole load, they need a lesson in fricking loading a pickup.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
RRWANTR said:
If the person has that much weight on the tailgate causing the cables to snap....AND where they lose their whole load, they need a lesson in fricking loading a pickup.
He said they were losing their load at speed...what does this have to do with loading a pickup?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I had assumed this thread was about the Prius...... :idunno:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts