Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Toyota recalls have certainly received a lot of press attention lately. Fact is, litigation being what it is now, all manufacturers are getting hammered by recalls. The shit that they can interpret as a safety risk amazes me. More lawyer bullshit driving up the price of vehicles.

Just for fun.... big 4 recalls since 1990:

GM 3284

Ford 2094

Chrysler 1938

Toyota 364

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Toyota recalls have certainly received a lot of press attention lately. Fact is, litigation being what it is now, all manufacturers are getting hammered by recalls. The shit that they can interpret as a safety risk amazes me. More lawyer bullshit driving up the price of vehicles.

Just for fun.... big 4 recalls since 1990:

GM 3284

Ford 2094

Chrysler 1938

Toyota 364
I'm more interested in the trend...has their recall rate went up in the recent timeframe (I don't consider 16 years recent)?

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
I'm more interested in the trend...has their recall rate went up in the recent timeframe (I don't consider 16 years recent)?
Not sure, but also keep in mind that these can be retroactive quite a ways back... so if they have been recalling more often lately, that doesn't neccesarily reflect that their quality is dropping.

This current Toyota recall is for a batch of cars made in 2001... Acura just recalled Integras from 1990-2001.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure, but also keep in mind that these can be retroactive quite a ways back... so if they have been recalling more often lately, that doesn't neccesarily reflect that their quality is dropping.

This current Toyota recall is for a batch of cars made in 2001... Acura just recalled Integras from 1990-2001.

Soo...research for me the trend for the last 5 years. :D

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
All I know is the OD planetary gears in my '02 Tundra exploded. Reading on tundrasolutions.com indicated that it's not all that uncommon. It was never a recall or a TSB, though. Pissed me off. I got a Toyota for reliablility and I had to spend over 3 grand to fix the transmission on a 4 year old vehicle with 63k miles that was well-maintained. Traded it in for an '06 F150 :freebird:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All I know is the OD planetary gears in my '02 Tundra exploded. Reading on tundrasolutions.com indicated that it's not all that uncommon. It was never a recall or a TSB, though. Pissed me off. I got a Toyota for reliablility and I had to spend over 3 grand to fix the transmission on a 4 year old vehicle with 63k miles that was well-maintained. Traded it in for an '06 F150 :freebird:
As I think I posted in your F150 thread, I have a friend that had tranny issues with his 03 (believe that was the year) Tundra. He also replaced the Tundra with an F150.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
That's really shitty. Have you written Toyota?

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
One of our ex teammates had an 03 Tundra and has never trailered it at all, it's just a daily driver. The trans 86'd on him last year and he just traded it in (busted trans and all) on a GMC 1500 pickup. He's not likely to be purchasing another Toyota anytime soon . . .

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Yup, the tranny problem was definitely with the pre-'03s, and likely '03s as well.
If I'd had time, I would've taken it to Toyota to be fixed instead of Aamco and raised hell, as it was just 3k miles out of warranty. My Toyota dealer is about 45 mins away and I just didn't have time. There was a chance Aamco could get it fixed when they thought it was just the soleniods. I was on a tight time schedule. Some guys on the Tundra forum with similar issues were able to get Toyota to pay half.

Problem was, it broke a few days prior to my leaving on a 2 week vacation, and I needed to take the trailer. It was either miss vacation dealing with Toyota getting it fixed, or just leaving it at Aamco, buying a Ford, and letting Ford go pick it up as a trade in when it was fixed. I chose to go enjoy my vacation.

I wrote to Toyota once before with a complaint about the service dept., after the corporate office sent a service survey. They charged me an outrageous amount of money to helicoil the bolts in the skid plate that were stripped, probably by them when they removed them. Hard to prove, though. They tried to tell me they were rusty. I never got a reply. And, that was the one time the dealer didn't call or send a survey of their own. The thing that really pissed me off was the service guy acted like he gave me 10% off the entire bill. When I looked closely at it later, he bumped the price up to fix the bolts from what he quoted me on the phone, so I really paid the same price. Again, my word against his. Hard to prove.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts

Should I mention how many times my step-dad's F150 has been back to the dealer for various bits and pieces exploding, imploding or just plain ole falling off?

I'll stick with Nissan. 124,000 miles and counting without problems. OK I take that back...I had to replace the cabin fan resistor ($29) a month ago. :)

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Interesting read.

I was just looking at Toyotas last night while the wife was negotiating with the Honda dealer on a Accord. Since this may well be my soccer dad car.. I am pushing toward a Infinity G35 or a Acura TL.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
My 2006 F250 has a recall for an emissions Item. Dealer told me not to do it, something to do with Cali BS and it would reduce my fuel economy.:crap:

So not all recall are "safety" items. Now htey did recall my continetal spare tire. I wish they would recall my regular tires, they are 20" and are going to cost a SoB to replace.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts