Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, after many long months of working on this bike and many months waiting afterwards to get it on a track, it finally happened! Some friends and I took a 7 hour trip to Barber Motorsports Park in Alabama to get some track time. Now this was my first ever track day, so going to such an awesome location and beautiful track was incredible. Also, not only was this my first track day, its probably the 6th or 7th time ever riding this bike, as the title was lost many owners ago and I try not to take it out on the street when I can avoid it. Anyways, I'm going to throw some links down to some footage I took while riding. Watching these videos back has been a little frustrating seeing all of my mistakes and potential to get around the track quicker, but it was an irreplaceable experience. We plan on going to Road Atlanta near the begining of the year. These bikes are an absolute blast. I'm going to gear it down a tooth on the front sprocket due to rarely getting out of second gear and also going to reverse the shift pattern.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow first time on a track and that track being barber. Very hard track with lots of blind turns. You get that one down and any other track you go to will be a cakewalk

·
Registered
235 Posts
Great track. I ride 90% on track with my 954 and it is so much fun. Only thing is that it cost alot but worth it.
One track day here cost around 160 dollar. Then tyres is able to reach 4-5 track days and oil change after 4 track days.
Have also upgraded brakes, suspension and other things :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great track. I ride 90% on track with my 954 and it is so much fun. Only thing is that it cost alot but worth it.
One track day here cost around 160 dollar. Then tyres is able to reach 4-5 track days and oil change after 4 track days.
Have also upgraded brakes, suspension and other things :)
I wish it were that cheap here! It was about $250 per day for that event, and we only got two sessions in the second day thanks to rain.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wish it were that cheap here! It was about $250 per day for that event, and we only got two sessions in the second day thanks to rain.
I know about rain and almost whole days gone bye without riding.
I don´t have good tyres for rain either but have bought me a depot tent to be under :)

Reactions: Jesse_rw23

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
Looks like you had fun. And that's what it's all about. Do you have other bikes? Be very wary about changing the shift pattern on only one of your bikes. Under stress you can forget which way to change, and that's very important if you are relying on engine braking get the bike settled for the upcoming bend. A friend of mine decided to do that on his 748 Ducati, in search of another second or 2 of laptime round the Nurburgring. He got confused, selected 5th instead of 3rd, ran out of track and now is in a wheelchair paralysed from the neck down.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like you had fun. And that's what it's all about. Do you have other bikes? Be very wary about changing the shift pattern on only one of your bikes. Under stress you can forget which way to change, and that's very important if you are relying on engine braking get the bike settled for the upcoming bend. A friend of mine decided to do that on his 748 Ducati, in search of another second or 2 of laptime round the Nurburgring. He got confused, selected 5th instead of 3rd, ran out of track and now is in a wheelchair paralysed from the neck down.
I hate to hear that about your friend! I have two other bikes that I ride on the street, and I've road a couple bikes with the shift pattern reversed and actually liked it quite a lot. Im not fast enough to be chasing times but I think its more comfortable when riding hard.

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I don't know why they ever came up with the 1-down-2-up pattern. All british bikes were 1-up-2-down, i.e. racing pattern, back in the day. It's definitely more comfortable if you have to upshift leaned over, but now if I were to go back to doing trackdays I'd get a quickshifter that can go both ways and forget the worry.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,179 Posts
GP shift is the way to go, even on the street. But I get the logic behind standard shift. Up for upshift and down for down shift. I've been GP shift since 1992.

I'm pretty sure though Kevin Schwantz thought different. I think he was a standard shift guy.

@Jesse_rw23 Great videos (y)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I raced for years and never went to gp shift. I liked the feel of down shifting by pressing down. It was part of my braking by sitting up a little and mashing the lever down. I was never in the category of foot clearance at full lean being a fly Weight and size 7 US shoe size.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Sorry for your friend. Let’s keep in mind that transmissions aren’t for slowing down, that’s what brakes are for. Use the brakes then match the revs. If you do it in that sequence consistently then the worse case is you get a lackluster drive at corner exit.

I have 2 bikes GP and 2 standard. It’s a pain having them mixed, but once I remember which, it’s all good. It’s also embarrassing to stall off the line.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts