Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in my vette. all i can say is :eek: :eek: :eek:

if you EVER have the opportunity to do a track day in a car DO IT.

i may give up all my MC stuff for this. The G forces and speeds are incredible.

I did Road Atlanta - covered 96.3 miles and averaged 8.1 MPG :D

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i wish man, i brought my camera but the few laps that it was worth taking pics i did not get any.

the top speed i hit was 125. the reason it was so slow was because i had to follow a pace car around since it was my first time with a car at RA and once we seperated from the group we ran in we had to slow down. so the 125 was about 1/2 the way down the bback straight in 4th gear.

the sessions kept getting faster and when i was in the lead and the 06 Z06 was in the lead we kept blowing our pack away. 1 session we lapped 1 group twice in 30 minutes.:eek: took the camera out for the last session, but we averaged 11 MPH slower per lap than we had all day, since i had a different pace car. i was quite disapointed.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Serious question Bubba.

You don't find the acceleration in a car on a trackday boring?

125MPH is so slow compared to what a bike would be doing...

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I looked into car track days at Sebring but I decided not to due to the fact that it was my primary car and that a new set of Z-rated rubber isn't that cheap....:rolleyes:

I bet it would be just as fun as a motorcycle track day though.:thumb:

On a side note, we are looking into a "race" go-cart track rental in the very near future. :)

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
I took a Skip Barber 4 day car school at Grattan after watching several of them over the past years and even though the school cars barely got out of their own way (Formula V or something, it's been 12 years . . .), it was a real eye opener.

Lot's of fun, but on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of being physical (at least with their slow-ass cars) it scored about 2. I could probably run 100 laps at Grattan in one of those cars with no problem (unless I had to pee). The best part of the whole school was when one of the instructors took about 15 students around the track in their "airport" rental van. We were on 2 wheels every corner and without some serious "passenger body english" the van would have rolled in any of at least 4 corners . . .

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
abtech said:
I took a Skip Barber 4 day car school at Grattan after watching several of them over the past years and even though the school cars barely got out of their own way (Formula V or something, it's been 12 years . . .), it was a real eye opener.

Lot's of fun, but on a scale of 1 to 10 in terms of being physical (at least with their slow-ass cars) it scored about 2. I could probably run 100 laps at Grattan in one of those cars with no problem (unless I had to pee). The best part of the whole school was when one of the instructors took about 15 students around the track in their "airport" rental van. We were on 2 wheels every corner and without some serious "passenger body english" the van would have rolled in any of at least 4 corners . . .
But did the van catch air over the hump? :eyebrows:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
luvtolean said:
Serious question Bubba.

You don't find the acceleration in a car on a trackday boring?

125MPH is so slow compared to what a bike would be doing...
the only reason it was 125 was becuase of the pace car situation. the next time i do not have to do that since i "proved" myself. i could have hit 160 easily on that course with my car.

driving a car and ridding a bike around that track are way different to me. the lines are way different in some areas due to the rumble strips ( a friend to a car, not so to a bike) the g's that i felt in the car seemed a lot more than on a bike. i feel like i am taking the hairpins a LOT faster in the car.

it may not accelerate like a bike, but there are different aspects that make it fun. if i only wanted the acceleration i would be trying my hand at some drag racing.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
abtech said:

i would love to do grattan in my car. :eyebrows:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i agree that it is not as physically or mentally demanding as a bike, i was neither tired nor sore last night/this morning.

i guess part of the fun for me is me driving my lowly vette and blowing porsches, bimmers, vipers, etc off the road. as on a bike i am the guy that is getting blown off the road by the majority of the other guys.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
bubba said:
i agree that it is not as physically or mentally demanding as a bike, i was neither tired nor sore last night/this morning.

i guess part of the fun for me is me driving my lowly vette and blowing porsches, bimmers, vipers, etc off the road. as on a bike i am the guy that is getting blown off the road by the majority of the other guys.
seat time . . .

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Thanks guys.

A dear friend, and exceptionally good wrench/mechanic seriously approached me about going car racing in 07. Next year will be the last year he runs his (18YO!) son's sprint car effort, and after that he wants to go roadracing. I have to admit, the idea came close to putting the R6 on the brakes, but then I looked at the price of tires. For the class of racing we wanted to do, ~$1000/set! :sless:

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
luvtolean said:
Thanks guys.

A dear friend, and exceptionally good wrench/mechanic seriously approached me about going car racing in 07. Next year will be the last year he runs his (18YO!) son's sprint car effort, and after that he wants to go roadracing. I have to admit, the idea came close to putting the R6 on the brakes, but then I looked at the price of tires. For the class of racing we wanted to do, ~$1000/set! :sless:
:eek: :eek: And I thought 3-350 a set for the bike was bad...:rotfl:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts