Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking to get into track riding a little more consistently, but I definitely can not afford 2 bikes with a car. Would anyone recommend turning your daily rider (k3 gsxr1000) into a track day bike? If I rip everything out & tune it is it easy to get a hold of an exhaust with a couple of catalytic converters so it can still be bolted on to pass inspection? Or does anyone know an easy way to pass inspection on a track day bike (so I can take it on the road). I live in PA right now.

Is it better to get an early 2000 or late 1990 600cc used & thrash it? I don't have a ton of cash to rebuild a new bike or strip it completely down. I'm also only 1 for 2 on buying good used bikes. The last one clearly had a screwed up transmission. This would mostly be a do it yourself in my free time over next winter or really rainy weeks.

Thanks for the responses. All advice welcome.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey I'm looking to get into track riding a little more consistently, but I definitely can not afford 2 bikes with a car. Would anyone recommend turning your daily rider (k3 gsxr1000) into a track day bike? If I rip everything out & tune it is it easy to get a hold of an exhaust with a couple of catalytic converters so it can still be bolted on to pass inspection? Or does anyone know an easy way to pass inspection on a track day bike (so I can take it on the road). I live in PA right now.

Is it better to get an early 2000 or late 1990 600cc used & thrash it? I don't have a ton of cash to rebuild a new bike or strip it completely down. I'm also only 1 for 2 on buying good used bikes. The last one clearly had a screwed up transmission. This would mostly be a do it yourself in my free time over next winter or really rainy weeks.

I have always kept my race bikes licenced and keep riding them on the road between races. You don't need to remove much to be race legal.
My '90 GSXR750 I used to ride to the track, remove the lights, etc and race it all day, then ride it home again. A mate was doing the same thing with his '97 GSXR600 back in '03 and '04. And I have done the same with my '98 GSXR750.
With the 929 I made a removable CBR250RR headlight that simply slots into the race fairing. The front indicators just velcro to the sides and the tail lights and plate are all mounted on a cut-down EX250 rear guard that simply cable-ties or bolts up to the underside of the tail unit.
I licenced the 929 with a high-mount LeoVince half-system with no trouble at all.
I don't know what is involved in your testing but it would only be once a year wouldn't it? If I'm licencing a bike (or car) I go right through it beforehand anyway so swapping the exhaust system back wouldn't be a big deal.
I'm a fan of racing what you ride on the road due to the confidence and familiarity you already have with the bike. But it all comes down to how happy you are with potentially crashing it. For me, crashing is part of riding hard so I have no qualms about it. Real racebikes have crash damage :)
I _strongly_ recommend running race plastics though and replacing or protecting the stator cover is well worth while.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts

For 8 years I switched my 954 from street to track, and I am going to do it with the K6 1000 I just got too. In NY there is no emissions test for inspection I am not sure about PA, but there is no reason for catalytic converters. I drilled and saftey wired all the necessary bolts, but you don't need that for just track days. I would just get some race bodywork and switch it up for wherever it is you are riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts