Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Taking Red Rider’s recommendation, I’ve ridden the last two TRACKOHOLICS track days at Grattan on 7/15 and 8/5.

I’ve got to say, from my limited experience, that they have been well run, safe, fun days, with a total of about 40 riders each time, divided into 3 groups.

Yesterday, I got 7 20-minute sessions, which translated into about 120 miles, or 60 laps. It costs $125.00 if you sign up on their website (www.trackoholics.com) a week early, and $135.00 if you wait till the day before to see if it might rain (&#33 I suck at track riding in the rain… It was worth the $10.00 to me to wait.. The price includes lunch.

The organizers were circulating the “paddock” constantly, asking how everyone’s experience was going, answering questions, helping with set ups, giving encouragement, and offering to go out the next session to give specific advice. Karoline, the photographer, took what seemed like a million pictures. She collects all the shots of a person, and puts them on a CD for $25.00, which I think is pretty reasonable. She’s a very good shooter, and knows all the places on the track that make you look heroic. The shots from yesterday’s session will be posted tomorrow (8/7) on their website under ‘trackday reports’.

So, I didn’t crash, or get in anyone’s way, and I made good progress. One of the organizers with a lap timer followed me, and it seems I took several seconds off my time on the previous trackday. By the end of the day, I was getting passed less frequently, and less abruptly. I was even passing a few people on the brakes.. There’s still a LOT of room for improvement, but just being confident that I can go out and try to push specific things without splattering myself or anyone else is very encouraging.

I took a few minutes after each session to evaluate how I did, record my mistakes, and set goals for the next session. This helped me keep track of what was going on, and eliminated the tendency I have to go out on a track day and just ride around without analysis or making specific changes. I found it to be really helpful, and I’ll continue to do that from now on.

BTW, I only saw two people go off the track all day, (one for mechanical reasons) no one was injured or damaged their bike. And some of these guys were really fast.

Had a great time, and I highly recommend it. Their next available date is 9/18 (Thursday), and I’m told there is a possibility that it might be combined with a private track day on Wednesday the 17th, so keep watching for that if you’re inclined to go and are driving in from a distance.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good time (again&#33.    Had a couple of meetings yesterday so I couldn't join you guys but the weather looked like it cooperated.  I've had a great time at the Trackoholics events and highly recommend them to anyone...beginner looking to get on the track, intermediate wanting to improve their skills, or the racer needing some more practice.  Jim, Don and the rest of the crew really go out of their way to make sure everyone enjoys the day.  

I'm going to be at Grattan this Monday for a private track day but I also hope to be there on 9/18!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts