Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Do you think that the fireblade should have a traction contol system?

• Yes.

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No. I want to have the control.

Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Yes, but with the option of switching it off.

Votes: 29 70.7%
  • Only if the power surpasses 200hp.

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a traction control system for my 2009 blade after reading so many good things about the BMW S1000RR system and its benefits. I am looking at these options:1)Bazzaz , 2)IRC "Power slide control" (http://www.irccomponents.com/eng/ind...ription&IID=37), 3)GripOne (http://www.gripone.com/en/about_us.htm#how) and 4)Magneti Marelli (http://www.magneti-marelli.com/product.php?id=151)
I have almost ruled out the HRC system because of its complexity ,cost and the fact that I probably loose the use of lights and indicators for my daily use. Has anyone tried any of the above??:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Nope, leave the electronic gadgetry to the car freaks.
No traction control, no ABS, no electronic steering dampers. Keep the skills in the rider rather than a computer.

·
Registered
332 Posts
bit of a purist myself. i have an 08 and have not had any problems (knocks on wood) ive locked up the rear before not that bad if you dont panic, ive riden dirt for so long a fish tail isnt all that exciting anymore and easy to control with only moderate experience. ive never riden a bike with all that tc or abs (at least im pretty sure the 08 doesnt have them) its kinda like the steroid argument. i want to know MY capabilities not what i can do with performance enhancment, it it means i cant ride as fast then it just means i cant ride as fast.

fair enough that thr one time it could have helped i would wish i had it. i hold that i like the bike without em with that one reservation.

hmm gona do some more reading about my 08 curious what systems it has.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im looking for a traction control system for my 2009 blade after reading so many good things about the BMW S1000RR system and its benefits. I am looking at these options:1)Bazzaz , 2)IRC "Power slide control" (http://www.irccomponents.com/eng/ind...ription&IID=37), 3)GripOne (http://www.gripone.com/en/about_us.htm#how) and 4)Magneti Marelli (http://www.magneti-marelli.com/product.php?id=151)
I have almost ruled out the HRC system because of its complexity ,cost and the fact that I probably loose the use of lights and indicators for my daily use. Has anyone tried any of the above??:idunno:

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah like i remembered all i can find on the 08 is the electronic stearing dampener any one more mechanically inclined know of anything else?

the roads are that bad in india huh?

·
Registered
44 Posts
yeah like i remembered all i can find on the 08 is the electronic stearing dampener any one more mechanically inclined know of anything else?

the roads are that bad in india huh?
You're right...that's all the 08 has...
Indian roads are quite okay...but I'm sure Greece has better...It tends to get bad right after the monsoon here, particularly on hillbound roads...

·
Registered
332 Posts
?? i was on a high way and i needed to stop rather quickly so i grabbed a handfull of front and stepped (rather lightly now that i think about it) on the rear i felt the rear end start to swing to my right so i just adjusted my steering into the skid, adjusted my weight, and waited for it to level out a little before i let off the rear brake. used to do it all the time to set up for turns on my dirt bike the trick is to put the rear tire where you want it WITH your weight in the right spot so you dont get tossed over the other side when you regain traction. bit different on the street but luckily it wasnt as severe of a case... is this not what you mean by locking up your brakes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm with seitman on the TC and ABS I would be really curious to know if anyone has tried any of the above. I'm used to crusiers and had an FJR, so I'm still getting used to the all out sport bike. I was going to buy the BMX RR but the insurance was a little to much to justify so I'll wait a few years on that one :p. I have no problems letting a computer help me with the goofballs on the rode or the crappy road conditions. That abd I tend to laps into a "more balls than brains mode" every now and again so I'd like to check out the TC. Oh and can you add ABS after market or not?

·
Registered
478 Posts
i was talking to one of my customers about a month ago.. he had a bmw with all the toys.. he had rain gear cause he didnt mind 1 bit riding in the rain.. i stay off if rain is in forcast but those little toys he had abs and tract cont. gave him all he needed to feel comfortable in those conditions and saved his azz from a accident that wouldve surely happened if he didnt have abs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I read article after article and review after review by riders/writers saying how awsome the TC and ABS on the BMW are thats why I want 1 so bad lol. I had ABS on my FJR and it was great. Drive alot of back roads and past a regular dirt hauling route so sometimes you can get alot of slide for very little foot :eek:. I'm hoping the Bazzaz can atleast add the traction control, that would be cool.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Nope, leave the electronic gadgetry to the car freaks.
No traction control, no ABS, no electronic steering dampers. Keep the skills in the rider rather than a computer.
i agree with your sentiment, but otoh those devices do make it safter for the rider.... highsides are almost rare with traction control. one would also like to think that development of these systems will eventually make it more practical and cost effective for production bikes, which is a good thing.

still, motogp is mostly "fly by wire" these days and has almost turned into who can manage buttons better and which engineers can write the best software. a lot of the skill seems to have been removed, with slower riders being able to keep up with the elite riders. almost everyone gets on the gas and brakes at the same time.. riders don't have to control slides or manage tire wear or fuel consumption (the ecu's monitor fuel usage and adjusts throttle output so you don't run out of gas). it's gotten a bit boring (rossi made strong comments about that a year or two ago) as you don't see the passing like you used to as the rider's ability has a less influence on the outcome. sure, riders decisions and how they manage the race influences things.. but the actual riding skill isn't as important as it used to be.

the other negative impact is that due to electronics, motogp racing has gotten so expensive factories have pulled out, and there are less than 2 dozen riders competing in what is the premier class of motorcycle racing. it's much less of an "art" than it used to be...

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
lol what? Since when have the slower riders been able to keep up to the elite in the Motogp? Every race that I have watched, the elite are ahead by quite a gap.

I will say this.. Does ABS help? Yes and No.. If you know what you are doing then not really.
I have locked up both my tires, didnt panic, let off enough to get them gripping again and voila! I stopped nice and quick.
ABS is just a dummy system.. Its there to protect the people that cant protect themselves.

Its like in a car.. I prefer not having ABS period.. Let alone traction control that is never consistant.

Traction control is a great idea dont get me wrong.. and I am sure it will help a lot of people out, along with ABS.
For the most part, any good rider should be able to do fine without them.

If I can ride in the rain, on a race tire.. and not crash, then I am sure a lot of riders will be fine.
Or Maybe I am just lucky.. Eitherway, I dont want ABS or Traction control on a bike.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.