Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so my bike hopes out of 2nd and 3rd....im under the impression i need new engagement dogs....and ill probably need more when i get in there, but my question is where are the dogs...they are mentioned in my manual, but never talked about.....i have no idea where they are. what section would they be under in a parts list? will someone please help???

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply....... but that kinda sucks....do you know if i have to crack the case to get to the gears ?.....i almost think a new engine would be easier and cheaper then getting the gears replaced....anyone have any ballpark price differences?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o yea, it would have helped if i said what bike it was.......its a 98 cbr 900rr.....but lack of money is limiting what i can do with this problem.....does anyone think that replacing the shift forks cud give me some temp fix. i know i need to fix it all, but i cant at the moment.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive been doing 1st to forth for a while now....its not that bad, just sucks in cornering....im either going to do one of 3 things: trade it for a different bike, get a new engine, or spend 1300 bucks to get the tranny fixed....i like the new engine idea, i just think its risky when i can spend the same and know everything is perfect by getting the tranny fixed (because engine-wise my bike is fine, i just have this damn tranny prob)....or trade it as is for something else....what do yall think?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well, i would prefer to fix the tranny, then everything would be tip top, but thats about 1300 and i thinkl that i can trade it for a smaller 600 flat out and be alright, tho driving a 600 after a 900 aint really too great....i guess i will prolly just keep skipping, and change some gearing to accommodate till i can fix it....its just that i can get a whole other bike for 1300, tho this one is a keeper once its tranny works right

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i would be fine with and older 600, but i would only dislike the difference in peppiness....but i only drive it to school, and lots of cruises on twisty rds....but the last 600cc bike i had was a katana, and i would hate to go back to that......ill see what offers i get for it, and if nothing, ill just save up and fix the tranny....hopefully its not much more then 1300

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yea that sounds about like what i thought it would be.....id love a gsxr or zx6, but out here in GA, everyone has one, so i like to be unique.....im actually talking to a guy with an F3, but it looks rough.....but its engine and tranny strong....so weel c how that goes

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok....600 just aint a 900, so im gona shop around for a new engine....its so lame that i can find 954, and 1000 engines for about 800 all day long, but my 98 engine is gona be around 1400....whats up with that?

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yea i see parts all the time, but id really rather not mess with a transmission...so im just gona get a whole new engine......i was gona trade it for a 600, but i drive my buddies 09 gsxr 600, and right after, all i could say was its not a 900.....so its engine lookin tyme

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
yes you are very right....just as fast, lighter and better handling....i guess sense of speed was different since i have a streetfighter......the main difference was carb vs Fuel Injec. i guess i have just grown to like the carbs...my 900 seemed much more peppy, and responsive ( in my opinion)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
If you lower the gearing a lot you can probably ride around in fourth without too much trouble - I'm running -1/+5 on my 929 but I still rarely get up to fourth around town.
I can't imagine it's worth much as a trade or sale with a bad transmission. What have you been offered?
I agree, I prefer to build my stuff rather than take on somebody else's potential problems.
ok, do you think -1 front be geared down enuff? we would be trying to get more pull from lower RPMs rite? would this be enuff??

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I wouldn't think so as -1 off the front is the common starting point for lowered gearing for normal use. As I mentioned, "I'm running -1/+5 on my 929 but I still rarely get up to fourth around town."
You basically want to be able to use fourth where you'd now be using second. Get moving in first and then shift straight to fourth.
You'd probably want something like -2/+5 but I'd have to run some figures on the 900RR to get a better idea.
My 929 with 15/46 is essentially geared down so fourth equals second with stock 16/42. I'm running 15/47 and it's still good for 70mph in first and tops out around 160mph.
whewwwww -2/+5 would be crazzy! that would be a wheelie monster from hell if im thinking correctly.......but like i said before, i can ride it fine the way it is now, so -1 front could only help rite? because on average, my 1st to 4th shift leaves me in 4 gear rite about 2500rpm.....and i would say there is some lag between 2 and 3500 (but not much) this is why i would think -1 front would help

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
The mistake most people make is trying to ride the smaller bikes at the same rpm they're used to on bigger bikes.
You need to look at the tachometer as a "percentage of peak power rpm".
If you ride your 900RR around 4000rpm (on the bottom of the midrange power) and peak power is at 11000rpm the engine is starting to make usable power at 36% of peak rpm.
So, on a 600 that peaks at 15000rpm, 36% would be 5400rpm, at which point the 600's should definately be starting to pull strong midrange.
Get on a 22000rpm CBR250RR and you'll find you're needing 8000rpm before any action starts.
Modern 600's are incredibly quick, they just require a different approach.
all that makes sense....i forgot about peak power.... he did tell me it pulls hard after 10500, but im used to my 900 pulling more in the mid rpms....i guess its just a bit more revvy then im used to, but was a nice treat to ride, but i prefer my 900 way more

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
ok then, does yours not seem like you go threw gears too qwick....last time i changed gearing on a bike, it seemed like i was always shifting, and the dam thing wudnt go much more then 100mph, but it was not a 900, sooooooo

does your 929 seem to have much better acceleration then the stock config?.... and can you only really tell the difference from a dead stop? ( i remember it launching faster, but not pulling harder...is that rite)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
i get what your saying, but is your bike any qwicker then stock, or is it just noticeable.....all this talk about gearing and gears just makes me want my new engine sooner....i hate not being able to take turns the way i should be.....but it gets me everywhere in 4th and 5th, so i cant complain...... and ive finally figured out what to do with my old motor.....so ive read on here that you can build/bore your 900rr engine to have similar power outputs as the 954: my plan is to keep this engine on the side and build it up as a hobby to have a better power output (because i hate that my buddys 600 has the same hp as my 900)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
well offcourse power is important to me, but im not trying to make much more then that.....i just want my 900cc bike to flat out leave a 600cc bike, and with that 09 gsxr 600 having the same hp as my 98 cbr 900, thats just not happening... i would be very happy with hp in the 140s......but thats all in the future, i just need to save up and get a new motor asap

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
your right, but ive been riding for 6 yrs solo, and now everyone decided to get a bike too....so im fairly confident that i can teach them a thing or 2 in the twistys, but i get soo pissed off on the hwy when that 600 can keep up with me....i just want a lil bit more to ease my stress i guess

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.