Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under really hard acceleration in 1st gear, the bike has problems getting to 2nd. I throttle off/clutch in, kick it up to 2nd but sometimes, not every time... it feels like it bounced off a gear and it then goes into neutral.

Something sound wrong or is it a case of me being a nubcake shifter. Its not my first bike, and I kick it up pretty hard from 1st to skip neutral.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try preloading the shifter lightly before you pull the clutch in. Then as you roll off the throttle and pull the clutch in, lift up (or press down, depending on your shift pattern) on the shift lever smoothly and swiftly, rather than kicking it. Try to do these almost simultaneously.

If it doesn't work, your dogs may be worn. How many miles are on the bike?

·
Registered
434 Posts
If it is not going into gear all the time it is probably a bent shift fork or bad shift drum. Worn dogs usually allow the bike to go into gear then it pops out of gear as you try to accelerate. Now if the shift fork is bent and you continue to try and force the bike into second gear it will wear out the dogs then you will have a much bigger problem. It is a lot easier to replace shift fork and drum than it is to replace worn gears. You can repair the shift fork and drum without splitting the cases. So if you think that your shift technique is good and the problem is the trans I would drop the pan, grab a flashlight and take a good look inside at the forks and drum before you do more damage.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try preloading the shifter lightly before you pull the clutch in. Then as you roll off the throttle and pull the clutch in, lift up (or press down, depending on your shift pattern) on the shift lever smoothly and swiftly, rather than kicking it. Try to do these almost simultaneously.

If it doesn't work, your dogs may be worn. How many miles are on the bike?
I bought it used with 5k, only has 6000 mile on it now.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Good catch roland5color. He mentioned that it "bounces off a gear and it then goes into neutral." So it seems that much of the time he never gets into gear in the first place.

If I may add, before digging around in the crankcase, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If it's maladjusted, all your shifts would be affected, but the 1-2 shift is a larger jump, so the other gears may seem unaffected at the moment (esp. if your shifts are well-timed and clean).

How are your downshifts into first? First and second gears are engaged using different slider gears (and different forks), so if it's only on upshifts into second, I'd check the clutch operation and then follow roland5color's advice.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good catch roland5color. He mentioned that it "bounces off a gear and it then goes into neutral." So it seems that much of the time he never gets into gear in the first place.

If I may add, before digging around in the crankcase, make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If it's maladjusted, all your shifts would be affected, but the 1-2 shift is a larger jump, so the other gears may seem unaffected at the moment (esp. if your shifts are well-timed and clean).

How are your downshifts into first? First and second gears are engaged using different slider gears (and different forks), so if it's only on upshifts into second, I'd check the clutch operation and then follow roland5color's advice.
Downshifts are spot on, its only gears 1-2 that seem to do this on the upshift.

·
Registered
183 Posts
So ALL your downshifts are fine? What about downshifts into second? (Forgot to ask last time.)

If your 3-to-2 downshift is fine, then it may just be as simple as a clutch adjustment. Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If that doesn't help, then you should follow roland5color's suggestion and have a look around the gearbox.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So ALL your downshifts are fine? What about downshifts into second? (Forgot to ask last time.)

If your 3-to-2 downshift is fine, then it may just be as simple as a clutch adjustment. Make sure your clutch is adjusted properly. If that doesn't help, then you should follow roland5color's suggestion and have a look around the gearbox.

All down shifts are fine.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Something else to look at is the shift shaft (shaft that gear shift lever bolts to). On the clutch basket side it has 2 "ears" that engage the shift drum. They are notorious for rounding off or even breaking. It shows up worst on the 1-2 shift due to the longer throw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.