Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I'm a new member to the site and just recently purchased a 93 900rr. It has 49k miles and is a little troubled in the cosmetic area. However, I could use a little help with the transmission. I bought it knowing third gear was out. I thought, well I can buy a used set of gears on ebay for $90. I attached a picture of what I more or less purchased. My question is, what other parts do I need to have on hand before I install these? I know I should replace gaskets, plugs while I'm there, and probably quite a few other things. What I need is a pretty specific list of exactly what I'll need before I tear everything apart. Any special tools, etc.. Thanks guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Howdy Friend-o! :welcome:

Other members would be more helpful than myself; but to help start moving the boulder up the hill - do you know what is specifically causing the problem?

I'm by no means knowledgeable; but if the issue is with say the shift forks, or shift drum that to replace those wouldn't require more than a couple tools and some patient.

On the other hand if the problem lies with the dogs (i.e., the teeth) then you would have a rather pricey fix.

The best advice I can give you is to grab a manual and hunker down with that sucker; or you can take my method and learn while doing but I definitely don't recommend it.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Work on the gears requires you to split the cases. If you are not 100 percent positive the gear is bad i would just pull the clutch and drop the oil pan. Check your shift drum, shift shaft, and forks first. You'll also be able to look at the gears as well and verify it is actually a bad gear. Since you'll have the clutch basket out, it would be a good time to replace the discs, plates, and springs. You'll also need the clutch basket nut (one time use). And if you wanted to, it would also be the ideal time to do the factory pro shift kit to make sure miss shifts etc. don't happen in the future. Might save you from having to do the transmission again in the future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really appreciate it guys. I honestly have never torn into the engine or transmission. I've replaced clutch disks and other various parts in the past, but never anything so in depth. I bought the bike last week, and was just laid off a couple days ago, so as much as I'd like to, I can't afford to buy upgrades. I plan on ordering the required parts on Friday and attempting the rebuild next week. It shifts just fine into 1,2,4,5,6, but third just acts like it's in neutral. When it is in third, it almost sounds like something is clunking around inside. I bought the parts used, and while I know it isn't advised, it was all I could afford at the time. The parts I will have will be the two shafts, all the gears, the forks, and the drum.

I didn't think to order them, but I will plan on purchasing the clutch disks, springs, and the basket nut.

I've been searching for a while, and haven't come across any step-by-step guides to aid in the endeavor. If you know of one, I would greatly appreciate a link.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,045 Posts
I don't have time to write up an entire tranny replacement, but it's pretty straightforward. Refer to my Cafe link in my signature for detailed pictures of what to expect. I tore mine down last year and replaced 2nd gear just because it was slightly worn. Low end gasket kit from Honda, a new countershaft seal, shift shaft seal, clutch nut, clutch holder tool (EBC from eBay worked great for me) some Honda Bond, assembly lube (with some molybdenum additive), oil and filter and a shop manual. Be careful not to disturb the main bearings when separating the case halves. There will be needed references for torque specs and assembly order in there. My pics can be used as a general reference. Good luck!!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, I've been continually doing research and I almost feel like I'm in over my head. I'm however going to give it a shot after I've ordered the gaskets I'll need. I appreciate the help guys, and I'll keep you up to date when I start to tear it apart. If you guys think of anything I might need between now and then, I would appreciate a heads up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Work on the gears requires you to split the cases. If you are not 100 percent positive the gear is bad i would just pull the clutch and drop the oil pan. Check your shift drum, shift shaft, and forks first. You'll also be able to look at the gears as well and verify it is actually a bad gear. Since you'll have the clutch basket out, it would be a good time to replace the discs, plates, and springs. You'll also need the clutch basket nut (one time use). And if you wanted to, it would also be the ideal time to do the factory pro shift kit to make sure miss shifts etc. don't happen in the future. Might save you from having to do the transmission again in the future.
You're saying that I can replace the shift forks and drums without splitting the case?

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,045 Posts
You're saying that I can replace the shift forks and drums without splinting the case?
Drop the oil pan to access those components. You will need to remove the clutch and outer basket to remove the shift shaft, drum and cam (shift star). Can be done while engine is in the frame, but much easier if the engine is removed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drop the oil pan to access those components. You will need to remove the clutch and outer basket to remove the shift shaft, drum and cam (shift star). Can be done while engine is in the frame, but much easier if the engine is removed.
Thank you Ian, I think I'll try that first before I take on splitting the case. On a side note, I do enjoy reading many of the things you post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I figured it was time for a little update, unfortunately I don't have pics to upload yet. After dropping the oil pan, I found the shift drum had a chunk missing from it. Third gear was not grabbing. I was able to move the fork by hand, and it would catch. I'll take a couple and maybe write up decent instructions on how I changed it. I appreciate all the help guys and hope to have it all put back together in a few days when the rest of my parts arrive.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a great write up or any decent pictures, but the bike is re-assembled and the gears are as they should be. The sound of replacing a shift drum and forks is much more daunting than it really is. I didn't need any special tools other than the EBC clutch basket tool. I did however learn a neat trick that will save me time in the future.

If anyone has the entire clutch basket out, the gears on the right side will line up almost perfectly. If they haven't lined up and are sticking out 1/6 or so, spin the little cog on the bottom right side with the chain on it while trying to seat the basket. There are 6 little nubs that have to line up, other wise you'll break them off when trying to tighten the basket nut. If you begin tightening the basket, and the middle of the basket won't spin independently of the larger one, they most likely are not lined up. I thankfully caught that and tore it back apart before I torqued it much. If anyone has a 93 fireblade and needs a little help, I'm always more than willing to help out. I don't know the technical names all the time, but I'll do my best.

Once again, thanks to everyone who posted replies to my original post. It helped to give me the confidence to do what I was unsure about.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts