Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 3 days the trial I attended as a juror is over. Defendant was found guilty on all 4 counts. Shoulda probably been over in one day, but we had one stubborn juror who didn't have a clue, couldn't grasp the legal verbage (and I personally think racial bias was involved, but we won't go there.). Involved a '3rd DUI in 60 months' defendant (read: felony in AZ). Even the judge said he was surprised as to how long it took us to come to a decision, but added that it was a good thing, showing that we really talked and thought long and hard about our decision. Long story short, another habitual drunk driver is off the streets, at least for 6 months. Who knows, possibly saved a fellow fireblader .

I'll tell you one thing, being a juror is not fun - interesting, but not fun. It is a major emotional drain deciding someone's fate, especially when it involves prison time. I think I made the right decision and hope that this guy learns from his mistakes and doesn't hurt anyone down the road.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Stegen passing out legal advice?

I'm going outside and looking for flying pigs...

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
stegen : Quote (Bacchus @ July 14 2003, 11:44pm)I think I made the right decision
That is the ONE thing a juror should NOT say after a conviction!!!

What do they say, Beyond a reasonable doubt
Man, my stegen rebuttal didn't take - here goes again:

[begin harangue] stegen, you just said the magic words - 'beyond a reasonable doubt'. Notice the word 'reasonable' in that phrase? I've sat in 3 juries over the years and I can tell you that there will always be one or more points brought up during testimony and evidence presentation that will leave a bit of doubt in your mind. You have to consider ALL evidence and look at the big picture also. Have you ever sat as a juror? Somehow, at your young age, I doubt it - could be wrong though. At any rate I hope one day that you are selected so you will understand where I am coming
from [end harangue]. That said - - -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts