Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i just have a quick question about charging my battery over the winter.i took the battery out today, but im unsure of which setting to put it on. my charger has 4 settings
2 for automatic: 10A 6V or 10A 12V
and 2 for manual: 2A 12V or 50 A engine start
the charger is a schumacher signature series
any help would def be appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks alot for the quick reply..also will i be able to just leave it like that all winter or do i need to eventually take it off?

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Be careful. Trickle charge does not neccessarily mean long term storage or float as it is sometimes referred to. Check their instructions. If it's not meant for storage, you will overcharge your battery and ruin it.

If it is not meant for storage, you can still use it by putting it on your battery say every month or so for about 3-4 hrs. That'll work fine.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
hey guys i just have a quick question about charging my battery over the winter.i took the battery out today, but im unsure of which setting to put it on. my charger has 4 settings
2 for automatic: 10A 6V or 10A 12V
and 2 for manual: 2A 12V or 50 A engine start
the charger is a schumacher signature series
any help would def be appreciated thanks.
The battery from your bike is a 12v battery. You have a, "maintenance type", battery charger. The answer to your question is; you need to figure out if your maintenance charger will trickle charge at 2amps and do this intermittantly. I believe your charger will not do this in the manual position.
I also do not reccomend using the 10amp 12v auto position. though 10amps is not allot for short charging periods, (it is for reviving a battery in short term maintenance, say like while in repair shop or at home when you know the vehicle has sat for a long time), it will over charge your battery after about a day and a half.
So, test your charger in the manual mode, (2A 12V), with the battery hooked up using a multi meter, to find out if your charger works intermittantly providing a 2A 12V charge. You should see an increase and a decrease in voltage, (probably no more than 15V, then drop to 12V), and it should do this until the battery becomes fully charged, at this point you should detect a 12V stable reading for lenghty periods.

All this being written, and realizing thats allot to go through just to find out that your battery will not be destroied by to much charging; It is recommended that you buy a proper trickle charger, that has the ability to determine when your battery is fully charged, and does not continue with amperage and only holds voltage, when the battery only needs a maintaneing voltage feed.

I use a battery tender that does this very thing. Your maintenance charger is for short term type charging. I dont reccommend using it period.:)
Hopefully this was helpfull.:cool:

·
Registered
900 Posts
All this being written, and realizing thats allot to go through just to find out that your battery will not destroied by to much charging; It is recommended that you buy a proper trickle charger, that has the ability to determine when your battery is fully charged, and does not continue with amperage and only holds voltage, when the battery only needs a maintaneing voltage feed.

:plus1:

·
Registered
22 Posts
When you use such a low amp does that mean you are trickle charging? My father has a battery charger with several settings for V and A and I can set it up to match what is stated in the first response, 2a and 12v. The charger states the lowest setting is a trickle charge at 2a. Is this any different then regular charging or does the low amp mean it is trickle charging? I would rather not damage the battery if I don't have to. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
When you use such a low amp does that mean you are trickle charging? My father has a battery charger with several settings for V and A and I can set it up to match what is stated in the first response, 2a and 12v. The charger states the lowest setting is a trickle charge at 2a. Is this any different then regular charging or does the low amp mean it is trickle charging? I would rather not damage the battery if I don't have to. Thanks.
Trickle just means charging at low amps like 1a or 2a so yes. However, it doesn't always mean you can leave it on indef. It must say for storage or float which simply means it has the ability to monitor the battery and turn the charge on and off as needed. Some trickle chargers will just keep on charging and cook the battery if left on too long.

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI,
If its any help I was directed via a friend to a guy who has invented a motorbike cover that connects to battery, and charges it using solar panels that he met at a bike show. As my GSX-R600 is used on and off but can sometimes go unused for months on end and this is perfect for me.
At the moment he is developing a website and an outlet to sell them but I managed to get one and it is absolutely brilliant. I dont know if your needs were like mine and whether this would suit you but if its of any help the e mail address to contact him is [email protected]. He does have a web address now but I have no idea what it is.
Hope this helps mate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts