Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to move the trunk lock on a stock 929 rear? I just cut it and put the license higher but the keyhole sits under the licence and i gotta take the license off everytime i wanna open the trunk. Im thinking making some holes a little lower than the hole and puttin the license there Thanx guys

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I put my plate on by attaching the plate to a small piece of plastic left over from hacking the fender, put a spring loaded cabinet hinge on this piece of plastic, then attached it to the chopped tail. The license plate is all the way up by the taillight, and I swing it down (since it's hinged) when I want to access the keyhole.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
On the Triumph ST's, if you install factory hard bags, (which I did) to unlock the seat you had to remove the left bag to access the lock (which I used to do). One of the popular mods is listed here ... Seat Lock Mod ... and, (well, you get the idea).

So Bhudda, if you've already cut the hole, I guess it's too late, but for anybody else, this may be interesting.

This link will bring you to the home page. Click on the "Mods" button, then find the seat lock link.

·
Registered
146 Posts
CBRBob said:
You can drill a hole in the plate just big enough for the key to fit through. It will be very hard to see!
That's what I did. The key shank is only about 3/8" wide so you don't need a very big hole. Make a small hole hole first and finish it off with a reemer to get a nice smooth hole but only make it just big enough to get the key in. Then position the plate with the key in the lock and mark the mounting holes in the fender. Looks great. I can get you pictures, if you want.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Denny said:
That's what I did. The key shank is only about 3/8" wide so you don't need a very big hole. Make a small hole hole first and finish it off with a reemer to get a nice smooth hole but only make it just big enough to get the key in. Then position the plate with the key in the lock and mark the mounting holes in the fender. Looks great. I can get you pictures, if you want.
I did the same,just make sure it's wide enough so when you turn the key it will open the lock.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
On the Triumph ST's, if you install factory hard bags, (which I did) to unlock the seat you had to remove the left bag to access the lock (which I used to do). One of the popular mods is listed here ... Seat Lock Mod ... and, (well, you get the idea).

So Bhudda, if you've already cut the hole, I guess it's too late, but for anybody else, this may be interesting.

This link will bring you to the home page. Click on the "Mods" button, then find the seat lock link.
Newfie, are you on this board too?!?! :rotfl: I've just joined for help with my 929....

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Erwin8r said:
Newfie, are you on this board too?!?! :rotfl: I've just joined for help with my 929....
You're in the right place! :thumb: Drilling the license plate works, too, but is it legal? If I get pulled over I don't want to give them anything else to look at. I like my hinge thingy....puts it up in the same place with no holes in the license plate. Just a personal opinion!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Erwin8r said:
Erwin8r!!!!!!!!!Wazzzzzzzuppppp??

Been here just a few days. Started looking for info on Grattan (a sweet track close to my home) and led me to this.

Also, kinda peaceful here without that gory yellow font.
:soapbox: :pointup:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
Erwin8r!!!!!!!!!Wazzzzzzzuppppp??

Started looking for info on Grattan (a sweet track close to my home) and led me to this.

:
So, send in your $$$ already!!! I wanna ride!!! There's a weekend on either side of the fireblade days for you to celebrate your anniversary with your wife! :p

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
HondaGalToo said:
So, send in your $$$ already!!! I wanna ride!!! There's a weekend on either side of the fireblade days for you to celebrate your anniversary with your wife! :p
OK Hondagal. I'll tell her that came from a lady on the Board. I'm sure that the fact it's a woman's opinion will change her mind. :rotfl:

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Newfie TLR said:
OK Hondagal. I'll tell her that came from a lady on the Board. I'm sure that the fact it's a woman's opinion will change her mind. :rotfl:
:rotfl: :rotfl: Well, maybe not, but certainly worth a try! :D

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Abuddha20 said:
Does anyone know how to move the trunk lock on a stock 929 rear? I just cut it and put the license higher but the keyhole sits under the licence and i gotta take the license off everytime i wanna open the trunk. Im thinking making some holes a little lower than the hole and puttin the license there Thanx guys
I cut my fender up just below the lock.

Then I made a small bracket from old stereo backstrap that was hat-shaped.

Bought two of the smallest brass hinges I could find at the hardware store and riveted one side to the strap.

Bolted the other side of the hingest to the remaing plastic on the tail just below the tailight.

For the grand finale I used a very small bung looped up from under and behind the plastic, to the back of the strap. Then I finished it off by bolting the license place to the hat-shaped strap.

This gave me a very short fender, and a sprung/hinged license plate. Pull up the plate, insert key and viola. Open the trunk.

The bungi (this is one of the smallest they make, probably not the type you would typically think of) kept the plate down at speeds well beyond any speed I ever atained on the bike.

Took me a couple of hours of different desgins on paper before I executed. Once I'd decided on what to do it was about 20 min of work.

I'll see if I can find some pics that show how it worked.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts