Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I started riding motorcycles 18 years ago. My very first bike was a 1991 CBR 600f2. Had that for a year and jumped to the 1993 CBR 900RR. I crashed it a month later and decided to take a break until 2000 I bought another bike a 1999 CBR 900RR. Right after I purchased the 99 CBR I saw the RC51 for the very first time and immediatley fell in love with it. I sold my 99 CBR 900 in 2002 and took another break from riding. Im now ready to purchase another bike and yes my first search in classifieds was for 2002 or later RC51. I found a 2002 with SATO exhaust on it with 13,000 miles on it. I have a few questions....

1. How will this bike feel compared to my past 3 bikes.

2. Im concerned about buying a bike with 13,000 miles on it. Is there still life in that RC51 and for how many miles can you get out of one??

3. Its been 7 years since ive ridden with my friends. They all have newer bikes like '09 CBR 600's and R1's and so on. Will the RC51 be able to hang with them??

Thanks for taking the time to read this and offer any help

GT

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I started riding motorcycles 18 years ago. My very first bike was a 1991 CBR 600f2. Had that for a year and jumped to the 1993 CBR 900RR. I crashed it a month later and decided to take a break until 2000 I bought another bike a 1999 CBR 900RR. Right after I purchased the 99 CBR I saw the RC51 for the very first time and immediatley fell in love with it. I sold my 99 CBR 900 in 2002 and took another break from riding. Im now ready to purchase another bike and yes my first search in classifieds was for 2002 or later RC51. I found a 2002 with SATO exhaust on it with 13,000 miles on it. I have a few questions....

2. Im concerned about buying a bike with 13,000 miles on it. Is there still life in that RC51 and for how many miles can you get out of one??

3. Its been 7 years since ive ridden with my friends. They all have newer bikes like '09 CBR 600's and R1's and so on. Will the RC51 be able to hang with them??

GT
1. No one will be able to answer that but you.

2. 13K is low mileage for an 02, and it is still a Honda.

3. No. You haven't been on a bike for 7 years. You could be on a souped up 1098 and they would still be faster.

Good luck. Twins are different than IL4s. go easy on the throttle until you get a good feel for the powerband.

·
Registered
13 Posts

1- Hard to tell...I don't have any experience with the bikes that you are talking about. But I have a 2007 GSXR 600 and the RC feels larger and more powerfull to me. However, I only use the RC on the track.

2- I would not worry about this at all. As long as you feel good about the maintence of the bike you will be fine. There are all kinds of posts on this forum and others that have guys that are well over 100k on RC's

3- On the street you all should be about the same. You can only go so fast around others. On the track the 600's with lighter riders will pull the RC in the straights and the RC will be better in the corners. Suspension is a big factor when you get this far in. An 1000cc 4cyl will pull away bigtime from a RC51. There is a huge hp difference...the RC will put down about 128hp or so and an R1 could be putting down 160+ to the rear wheel. Now all this being said. The fastest performance part on any bike is the rider. I have a buddy that races an SV650...and he blows away guys on R1's all the time. Later braking and earlier on the gas. The RC is not a forgiving bike. It will make you a better rider or you will end up selling it. That is if you decide to really ride it. Not talking about to and from Starbucks. Put it on the track. That is what it was made for. You will LOVE it. And the SATO's are the best. Post some pics when you buy her. :welcome:

·
Registered
95 Posts
Honda's last next to forever, 13,000 in inconsequential.

You will not be as fast as your friends with your 7 year layoff- don't try.

V twin power is different from the in lines based on the overall torque factor. You will need to modify your riding style a pinch

Careful with throttle control. The RC-51 is not a forgiving motorcycle.

Your 02 looks like mine, buy it only if you have the patience to learn how to ride it.......

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
gtny, i bought mine for 500 less than that, and had around 10,000 more miles, and it was worth every penny!!!!! been through hell and back with that machine, other than the little maintenance it asks for, no problem on the ol rc!!! 35,000 mile and still rockin!! get that puppy!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Seems a little high to me, but it could be because i got my 954 for $3600 with 16K on it.

RC51s are harder to find though, so it could be right on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
It seems a little high to me as well. There are so many examples of RC51's that have lots of aftermarked goddies on them for this price range. Most of the time they get sold and the aftermarkes stuff just stays on the bike. I buy parts all the time for mine and trust me the aftermarket is still strong for this bike. IMO I would either try and pay less for this one or look for one that has mods that are just going with the bike because the person does not want to part it out. You will get more for your money. I would bet if you looked you could get a similar bike with the Sato's and some suspension work done for about the same price range. Just a thought...Good Luck.

However, the pic of the bike looks great. You will not go wrong. And the sound of the Sato's...you will never want to ride a 4cyl again. I have Sato's on mine...low mounts. Ti for the track and another set of C/F. Just an amazing build quality and exhaust. You will love it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Everyone,

GT
1/ V twin will be different, just take some time to get used to it
2/ just broken in, mine has 20,000 and it got lots of life left as long as you take care of it.
3. Yes is you have the skills. I used to ride a modified KLR600 and beat the hell out of my buds on their 600 and 750's (I'm an ex GP Bike racer)

Also the RC51 is sneaky fast, it does not scream or wail to warn you that your have picked up a lot of speed. I've found myself more than once driving well over the posed limit, thinking I was driving casually. So keep one eye on the speedo ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok guys I'm goin for the RC! Although last minute today I found a 2004 Nicky Haden with Sato high mount Titanium exhaust with power commanderIII. Also scotts steering damper and abunch of other stuff I'll later post. Thanks for helping me with my decision. I'm looking forward to bein part of the RC family :).- GT-

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
:woohoo: post them pics as soon as you get it gtny!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok guys I'm goin for the RC! Although last minute today I found a 2004 Nicky Haden with Sato high mount Titanium exhaust with power commanderIII. Also scotts steering damper and abunch of other stuff I'll later post. Thanks for helping me with my decision. I'm looking forward to bein part of the RC family :).- GT-

Good for you buddy. +1 on posting up some pics. This is a great time of year to get some extra body plastics cheep. You should pick up some and get that girl on the track. You will love it. :welcome:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
gonna jump on the keeping up with your friends part

the rider makes the bike, when my buddy first got his 06 gsxr 6 i had been riding my ninja 250 for almost 3 months and learned when to shift...i bet him for about 3 days before he got better lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts