Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone besides the stealership have a key blank for a 954? I haven't found anyone so far including a couple of locksmiths. Do I have to get it from the dealer? I don't know the key number either, so I'll still have to take it to a locksmith to get it cut but I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $9 for the blank.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
I couldn't find one, either, and the hardware store messed up the blank I took them. :rant: It's apparently a longer than normal key. The expensive blank with the black plastic cap isn't the only one you can purchase...they do have one that's just all metal for less.

·
Registered
960 Posts
tailgunn said:
Does anyone besides the stealership have a key blank for a 954? I haven't found anyone so far including a couple of locksmiths. Do I have to get it from the dealer? I don't know the key number either, so I'll still have to take it to a locksmith to get it cut but I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $9 for the blank.
Do you you have the HISS chip which is mounted in the original key? My understanding is that you won't be able to start the engine on a 954 without it unless you replace the complete ignition system on the bike, not just the ignition socket. When you buy a 954 you get 2 keys with a chip in each. Honda keeps another 2. To buy one from Honda you have to quote the number which is given to you when you buy the bike. Once all 4 keys are lost or if the number isn't known you have to replace the entire system.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I found Honda blanks of Ebay...I got one, just havent had it cut yet so I dont know if it will work...Supposed too though :idunno:

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
RPinOZ said:
Do you you have the HISS chip which is mounted in the original key? My understanding is that you won't be able to start the engine on a 954 without it unless you replace the complete ignition system on the bike, not just the ignition socket. When you buy a 954 you get 2 keys with a chip in each. Honda keeps another 2. To buy one from Honda you have to quote the number which is given to you when you buy the bike. Once all 4 keys are lost or if the number isn't known you have to replace the entire system.
No bike with HISS are imported into the USA...Yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's the problem, I didn't buy the bike so I got no info as to the key #. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a problem.
That doesn't sound right, let me put that another way: Yes, I bought the bike, no I didn't steal it, but I'm the second owner and I only got 1 key and no info. I tracked down the selling dealer and they don't keep key info. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get a blank from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
tailgunn said:
That's the problem, I didn't buy the bike so I got no info as to the key #. Otherwise it wouldn't be such a problem.
That doesn't sound right, let me put that another way: Yes, I bought the bike, no I didn't steal it, but I'm the second owner and I only got 1 key and no info. I tracked down the selling dealer and they don't keep key info. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and get a blank from the dealer.
Here is what the Ilco key blank looks like......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
CBRBob said:
Here is what the Ilco key blank looks like......

My curtis spare looks the same and has teh same HD109 on it :thumb:

·
Registered
422 Posts
NinerPilot said:
I found a locksmith with blanks.... The one I have is a "ilco" and has x265 on the left and HD109 on the right. This is for a 929, and I can only assume that it is the same as a 954.
Chris
There not the same keys... I know from Experiance. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
tailgunn said:
I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay $9 for the blank.

Yo do have the original key right and you're just trying to get a spare right....

$9 for the blank....(I just read that part ) the blank should be about five and then then charge you 5 more to read the key (like it's really that hard) if you don't have the key code.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The key I have is a little dodgy, bent a bit at the base and getting worn a bit. I'd like to get 2 more and retire this one. The dealer I talked to said he has to have the code or he can't do it... he can't cut from an original, and yes they want $9 for it. I'll shop around a bit; thanks.

·
Registered
960 Posts
G-Force Junkie said:
No bike with HISS are imported into the USA...Yet.
No wonder you guys are so worried about them getting stolen.
I think HISS has been standard on all Australian sold Honda road bikes for the last 4 or 5 years. I think it is a great deterrent. Especially when 2 big blokes could carry my bike away. I use a disk lock, the steering lock and rely on the HISS and feel pretty confident parking my bike almost anywhere in daylight.
I wonder why Honda US doesn't feel HISS is necessary.:huh:
Sorry for being a :thrdjack:
Now back to your normal programming.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
I think my honda dealer said you can read some code or something off the ignition, I'm not really sure what he said but I think it was something like that. but I do remember he said you need proof of ownership also if you don't have the key tag (the tiny little metal tag with the key code on it which you almost never get when buying used)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
CBR929RE said:
I think my honda dealer said you can read some code or something off the ignition, I'm not really sure what he said but I think it was something like that. but I do remember he said you need proof of ownership also if you don't have the key tag (the tiny little metal tag with the key code on it which you almost never get when buying used)
Yeah you can get it off of the ignition but have you ever tried to remove the ignition? It's held on with bolts whose heads snap off when a certain torque is reached... you have to drill them out to remove the ignition.

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
tailgunn said:
Yeah you can get it off of the ignition but have you ever tried to remove the ignition? It's held on with bolts whose heads snap off when a certain torque is reached... you have to drill them out to remove the ignition.
no I haven't but thats good to know, my original key is bent pretty good and I'm using the copy I had cut. I want a good one though as the copy is a little tricky unlocking the trunk.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Man they are giving you a ton of shit i took my key to a bike shop the read the code off the key and made me another one...

PM me a picture of you key (a close up and I'll read your key code) or die trying

sidebar have you tried hammering you key to straighten it out :idunno:

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
929_Nupe said:
Man they are giving you a ton of shit i took my key to a bike shop the read the code off the key and made me another one...

PM me a picture of you key (a close up and I'll read your key code) or die trying

sidebar have you tried hammering you key to straighten it out :idunno:
you can't just read it off the key (unless you are so smart that you know how the code works and can translate the cuts that are in the key back to the code)

flattening the key back out doesn't help too much since the metal has already been bent its just gonna bend again. I used a vice to straighten my key out then had the copy made then it really bent sometime later.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The locksmiths I have delt with have no problem in churning out a key for the 929, but the 954 seems to be a hair longer. One worked on it with a challenge & was able to open the petrol tank cap & container at the rear but NOT trip over the ignition. He has looked over all that is offered & simply cannot find the one for the 954 which is definately a bit longer.

My dealer has one waiting for me, but it is a plain blank & it will have to be ground/cut by a locksmith.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts