Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new to the site, thought I'd start off with a question.

IV a 96 cbr 400rr with some 67000km on it. Goes like a clock barely even a ratle.

I was wondering how much you could get out of these little engines with jetting, valve springs and the likes.
Just bought an rrv and I was hoping to give the 400 some love for the next month.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
☺☺??

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I’m guessing they were about 60bhp so if you could get 15% gain that would be just under 70. I should think that would be attainable with BMC race air filter, rejetting, new exhaust, and dyno time getting it tuned properly.

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,118 Posts
Hi all I'm new to the site, thought I'd start off with a question.

IV a 96 cbr 400rr with some 67000km on it. Goes like a clock barely even a ratle.

I was wondering how much you could get out of these little engines with jetting, valve springs and the likes.
Just bought an rrv and I was hoping to give the 400 some love for the next month.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
☺☺??
Oh Ben, rule #1 when joining a forum is to NEVER start with a question! Unless its accompanied by a pic of the bike you're asking about ;)

Welcome to Fireblades! Those little 400's can rev to the moon, and build power typically at the peak of the rev range. It would be tough to notice a bump in power on one (in my opinion) anywhere other than the top of the rev range. If that's what you're looking for then great, but to get anything in the low/mid range will be a struggle. That is where your RRV will make you smile.

Post up some pics so we can applaud ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Ian, my bad?.
Tbh I drive my 400 on the limiter almost 365 days a year, if it wasn't for valve bounce I'd forget where the revs end someday.. It does make handling and road experience (fun) amplified if you stick around 9 where the power is just about to crack open. Fun in the twistys??

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m guessing they were about 60bhp so if you could get 15% gain that would be just under 70. I should think that would be attainable with BMC race air filter, rejetting, new exhaust, and dyno time getting it tuned properly.
Allright thanks. 15% would be way more then I thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll be the bad guy here and suggest that money spent on a 67,000 klm 400 would be counter-productive. I'd invest it in the RRV!!
The rrv is nearly original iv a ring binder full of paper work for it. The 400 on the other hand.. Shes my baby.. If it wants a rebuild it can have it?? silly but that's just the way I feel. You are right though

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
No probs, Ben. We all do things with our passions that some others might not understand. I am no different, and only recently posted of my having spent a ridiculous amount of cash to repaint a fuel tank because the stripes were out of whack!

All the best with your 'project'!!(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts