Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some insight on how I should go about installing a turbo on my bike. I haven't bought any materials yet, but I have heard that they are more trouble than they are worth. I currently drag race my bike.

·
Registered
900 Posts
If you are going to fit a turbo then the bike will only be any use in a straight line.... why not go for noss instead they recon its easier to fit.

·
Registered
74 Posts
the real question is do you plan to continue running it on drag tracks or do you eventually plan to carry over to the road courses? If your goal is straight line then turbo is the way to go. If not then I would highly recommend investing in suspension and wheels.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When dealing with forced induction, you must be careful. I know nothing about turbo'ing a bike, but from my experience with Turbos in a car, I don't think it will be easy to turbo a bike. The key to any turbo is fuel management and controlling the timing. There's so many things that can go wrong and an engine is so delicate. It doesn't make things easier that a bike has a much higher redline than a car, and that it's already a high compression engine. what were you planning on using for fuel management? Power commander?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When dealing with forced induction, you must be careful. I know nothing about turbo'ing a bike, but from my experience with Turbos in a car, I don't think it will be easy to turbo a bike. The key to any turbo is fuel management and controlling the timing. There's so many things that can go wrong and an engine is so delicate. It doesn't make things easier that a bike has a much higher redline than a car, and that it's already a high compression engine. what were you planning on using for fuel management? Power commander?
I already have a pc 3 power commander. I know I'll have to lower the compression. I don't want to do a job this big myself. I heard theres a pretty good turbo shop in alabama that i can send my bike to, but i have heard a few horror stories about guys doing this project by themselves and end up messing up their engines in about a month. I don't have an expendable income to just go out and buy a brand new engine for my bike. My intent with the bike is to make it strictly drag. I only race 1/8 mile tracks. Is this project even worth my time? I bought the bike new in 07 and have already done some mods. My intent with the bike is to push 250hp w/o boring the engine. I would prefer to stay away from NOS. In a perfect world i'd like to keep the bike naturally aspirated. Am i asking too much when i want to push 250hp?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the real question is do you plan to continue running it on drag tracks or do you eventually plan to carry over to the road courses? If your goal is straight line then turbo is the way to go. If not then I would highly recommend investing in suspension and wheels.
I plan on stricly drag eventually. This bike is my daily rider. As far a suspension goes I've already done some pretty heavy mods. Its streached 10" and dropped 1 1/2" all around.

·
Premium Member
4,171 Posts
Hello,:welcome: , I am all for turbo charging for a drag bike. I know that one thing to consider is this; you'll need to consider when you want pressure, and where the meat of horse power, and torque are developed in the present engine you are using. Lowering compression is not absolutely neccessary. Pressure is regulated for the gain through a waste gate. Thus meanning compression is lowered for a high gain. 5 to 10 psi can be run on 9.1 to 12.1 compression with correct timming retarding. Look up Turbo Charging by Gale Banks, or any turbo forum. There is allot more information out there to learn from. Study first, and dont take anything for granted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,:welcome: , I am all for turbo charging for a drag bike. I know that one thing to consider is this; you'll need to consider when you want pressure, and where the meat of horse power, and torque are developed in the present engine you are using. Lowering compression is not absolutely neccessary. Pressure is regulated for the gain through a waste gate. Thus meanning compression is lowered for a high gain. 5 to 10 psi can be run on 9.1 to 12.1 compression with correct timming retarding. Look up Turbo Charging by Gale Banks, or any turbo forum. There is allot more information out there to learn from. Study first, and dont take anything for granted.
thanks for the info :thumb:

·
Registered
111 Posts
I plan on stricly drag eventually. This bike is my daily rider.
OK. This is a problem. Do not have a 'project bike' or other project vehicle be your daily means of transportation. If you ignore this advice, you WILL be taking the bus. You need one toy to tinker on, and something stock that will get you someplace when you need to go.

There is an old saying:
1. Fast
2. Reliable.
3. Cheap.

Choose two of the three.

Like I said, I have no experience turboing a bike, but know a bit about turboing a car. For a car that did not come with a factory turbo, the internals usually had to be beefed up if you are running high boost. Like forged (low compression) pistons and con rods. (Keep in mind that Honda and theother manufacturers specifically designed their engine internals to be lightweight so they can rev so high; they weren't designed to handle the additional power of forced induction in the cylinders.) Sometimes decking the block to withstand the pressure of the engine (depending on the engine design and if it was an open deck design). If you are really serious about making some big power numbers be prepared to tear apart the engine....regularly. On those high hp Civics and Integras you see at drag strips, the engines are often rebuilt every 3-4 runs.

If you don't want to go through the hassle, don't run that much boost. (This ain't like the Supras which can be running up to 40lbs of boost on stock internals). And it would be very important to dyno tune and map the bike. If you are keeping the internals stock, you want to be absolutely sure your air fuel ratios and timing is spot on or else you will have a catastrophic failure.

P.S., I know in your posts that in a perfect world you would like to stay naturally aspirated, and you wanted to stay away from Nitrous. In regards to being naturally aspirated, Honda, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki devote millions of dollars on R&D to get as much power as they can from these engines. They have alot more resources to do it then you do, and anything you could possibly think of, they've already tried. There's not alot of space in a motorcycle engine to bore it out even more.

I also think that nitrous may actually be an easier, cheaper, and safer method of forced induction for your needs. Doing a 'wetshot' of nitrous (fuel mixed in with the nitrous) is fairly easier, and actually safer than a homebuilt turbo because with adding fuel, you don't have to worry about it going too lean and burning a hole in your cylinder.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
submaniac thanks for the good info. I wasn't planning on doing the project myself though. Theres a shop not too far from me that specializes in turbo installation. I was going to send my bike to them for the winter. As far as the internals go I know there has to be some major changes for this to work. Do you know of any ways that i can get major hp gains w/o the turbo or nitrous? I already have a pc 3 power commander. vbmenu_register("postmenu_872513", true);

·
Registered
111 Posts
Howdy. If your goal is to hit 250hp, I do not see how you are going to do it without forced induction (turbo, or nitrous). On a 2007 CBR1000rr there's not that much space to bore it out to increase the displacement. The usual tricks of an exhaust is probably the best that you can do. If you are serious about the turbo, take it to that shop of yours in Alabama, and see what they say. I know it will not be cheap, but you gots to pay to play. I would seriously ask them about nitrous. Alot of fools who put out large shots without properly thinking things out and blowing up their engines has given it a bad name. However, it is safe, reliable, and effective if done correctly and you do not do something crazy (like doing a 200 shot dry). It is also alot more simple and cheaper to do as well. It probably won't get you to the full 250, but it should be able to get you over the 200 hp mark easily.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got some spare change, i know its gonna cost at least 5.5K just for all my materials. If i decide not too do it what is your estimate of my max hp that ill be able to put out while naturally aspirated? I know this is sort of shot in the dark kinda question.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
heres a list of what i have done to my bike as of now: pc 3, sprocket kit up 2 in back and down one in front, 2 brothers slip on, barnett clutches, and soon to come velocity stacks as well as aftermarket air filter (any suggestions on brand for air filter?)

·
Registered
111 Posts
My thoughts, it's hard to make a guestimate on horsepower from modifications. The horsepower on any car or bike varies from vehicle to vehicle. The same model, same year, next to each other off the production line...they will all vary slightly. Some are made better than others just by chance. So what is the max hp you can make, your guess is as good as mine. The minor mods we are talking about will not make that much of a hp gain. Probably the tops is 7hp IMHO. Air filters I really don't think matters. I had a K&N on my car, and when we did a dyno of it, it made more power with the stock.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Why close it? I'm putting a turbo on my 929. i have been eorking on it for awhile now. I have a build thread going on another site. I can't post a link for some reason. Do a google search for CBR 929 Turbo. Here is a link to a video. Check it out at youtube for the link. I plan on putting out 200 hp with all stock internals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbXmVfgVdQQ&feature=player_embedded

·
Registered
80 Posts
CycleLogic Motorsports.com makes a turbo for a 2007 cbr1000rr. Stage 1 turbo makes 240hp. You can go up to 400hp with this turbo but you will need new pistons and rods for over 240 hp. you will need a lockup clutch eather way.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts