Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 900RR and want to put a turbo on my bike. Does anybody have any info on this or mabe some pics? I checked Mr. Turbo and they dont offer for a 900, just a 929 or a 954.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
What you really need to do is bolt a sidewinder missile to the back.

You can probably modify just about any small turbo to work.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
phobiaphobe said:
You can probably modify just about any small turbo to work.
And to think of the time I've wasted in the past reading compressor maps.... :p

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hay thanks for the sarchasm, I thought people on this forum were out to help fellow riders, most responses I read are all BS unless you are a hardcore track racer. Some of us just like to tinker with bikes and street ride.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Hey man didn't mean any offense, I think it's a cool project but I really have no useful information to offer. If anything the bump that your thread got might get the attention of someone who can help.

·
Registered
663 Posts
EXOTIC900RR said:
Hay thanks for the sarchasm, I thought people on this forum were out to help fellow riders, most responses I read are all BS unless you are a hardcore track racer. Some of us just like to tinker with bikes and street ride.
You just have to realize that that's Phobe...and he's a terrorist.
j/k

Don't forget to put on your thick skin when you lurk 'round here!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Finish Bike magazine called 'bomber' Made story about installing turbo to 900RR. can't remember what turbo that was. But I think they made custom exhaust and intake plenum and also used after cooler.

You need pressurized carburators, fuel pump, fuel regulator, turbo, intake plenum, cooler, exhaust that keeps the turbo high enough so it's higher then engines oil level, that way the bike smokes less because oil can return to the engine better.

I think there is swedish firm that sells turbo sets, I think it was called turbo express, or something like that. I have to check.

You also need low compression pistons or really thick head gasket too.

Can't remember the power they measured, but I think it was well over 250RWHP,

JakeT.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
I can't be of much help, but there's a place on Long Island called Powerhouse Motorcycles who specializes in that sort of stuff, if you're willing to travel. I don't have turbo or anything, but he did a great job custom mapping my 929. He's done a lot of turbo Hayabusas and has drag raced bikes for 30 years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You should talk to MC-Express here in sweden, they have kits for the 900 Blade, go to http://www.mc-xpress.com/

I think Erik Marklund at MC-Xpress sells kits in the US under the name American Turbo Systems. A friend of mine put a Marklundkit on his -96 Blade, the result was 218 rwhp and the bike was flying :thumb:

The only problem he had was that he could not find harder valvesprings at first and when he shut the throttle at high speed the turbopressure forced the valves open and a couple of the valves fell into the cylinder...not good... :eek:

Luckily the damage was not that bad, Marklund helped him to fix it, and install harder springs...

·
Registered
43 Posts
This is where some of the fastest riders talk...

http://www.superkaos.com/phpbb/

Check it out - they would be more down your alley for helping get you setup with a turbo if you are serious...

I had considered a turbo kit - thinking ooohh instant power - but the cost involved just wasn't worth it - a lot of the mods you have to do to the engine will run you in the 5-7 grand range (from what I've heard) - then you have to upgrade the braking system and clutch to match the power.

Trying to be like Rossi eh - with a 240 hp machine? HEHE :)
Goodstuff!
Cheers.
Alex.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My suggestion would be to do everything that can be done to the bike before trying to get a turbo. You may have done everything, but just sayn'. Personally, turbo would be the last modification I would do to a bike on a long list.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts