Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested to know if anyone has a clue what's up with this:

Whenever the temp outside is below 60 degrees F, I select one of the turn signals and it takes ~5 seconds before it actually starts blinking. The colder the temperatore, the longer the delay, to the point that they never activate.

Don't know if it is helpful, but if I listen carefully the ticking sound starts first (after a delay dependent upon the temp), then later the indicators start blinking on my gauges, then shortly after that the signals actually start blinking.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I'm interested to know if anyone has a clue what's up with this:

Whenever the temp outside is below 60 degrees F, I select one of the turn signals and it takes ~5 seconds before it actually starts blinking. The colder the temperatore, the longer the delay, to the point that they never activate.

Don't know if it is helpful, but if I listen carefully the ticking sound starts first (after a delay dependent upon the temp), then later the indicators start blinking on my gauges, then shortly after that the signals actually start blinking.
Maybe the flasher relay is bad?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a start! I just don't want to drop my bike off at the honda shop 'for diagnostic work' - i.e. who knows what kind of bill.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yep, definitely sounds like a bad flasher relay.

Shamelessly cut-and-pasted from another site:

The flasher operates from internal heat on a tungsten bi~metallic"strip" that makes or breaks the contact at the switch side of the contact, Or power output side.

As the system Lamp load is imposed on the flasher unit, the bimetallic strip heats up, and curls up... breaking contact to the switch... It then cools down very rapidly, and makes contact again, the lamp load again heats the strip and it opens up. THUS: "Flash"

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Yep, definitely sounds like a bad flasher relay.

Shamelessly cut-and-pasted from another site:

The flasher operates from internal heat on a tungsten bi~metallic"strip" that makes or breaks the contact at the switch side of the contact, Or power output side.

As the system Lamp load is imposed on the flasher unit, the bimetallic strip heats up, and curls up... breaking contact to the switch... It then cools down very rapidly, and makes contact again, the lamp load again heats the strip and it opens up. THUS: "Flash"
Are you sure all flasher relays work this way?
With modern electronics I would think it'd probably be easier, cheaper and more reliable to use an electronic trigger?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Every one I've seen has been that way. If you can hear the relay clicking when your turn signals are on then it's a mechanical relay like this. I think manufacturers stick with this because it's simple, cheap, and it works. :thumb:

·
Registered
478 Posts
Are you sure all flasher relays work this way?
With modern electronics I would think it'd probably be easier, cheaper and more reliable to use an electronic trigger?
There are a lot out there that do, LED flashers are electronic. They have to be b/c the led doesnt use enough amps, hence the fast flash when you replace a standard bulb with an led.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi there. I have a 1998 blade and had the same issues. I replaced the stock indicators with LEDs (you need to also install inline resisters to get the right blinker rate). I then replaced the relay (found a cheap second hand one). Finally I squirted the actual handlebar switch with CRC (WD40), until it poured out and now they work fine. I would try firing CRC etc into the switch first, as I think this is where your problem may be. Its a cheap fix and cleans up the contacts.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just had the same problem this morning. It was about 32 here on my way home from work and my turn signals did the same thing. They work perfectly though at warmer temps. I thought the switch was just sticking from the cold but the 3 to 6 second delay before they would come on leads me to believe that it is the relay if the relay works like described in the above post. Well I have been wanting new turn signals any way. This will be a good reason for the wife to let me get some nice LED signals.:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the delay, as i had stored my CBR away for the winter. i tried jamq's suggestion of bathing the switch in WD40 and it only seemed to help a little. but the next day i took it out for a ride and it was as good as new! i guess it just needed some time to penetrate (and a lot of gunk leaked out of the switch)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just to bump this as I was suffering from exactly the same on my CBR 929.

I gave it a squirt of WD40 this afternoon and within five minutes the indicators were back to normal. I also had a sticking pass light switch and main beam switch. Squirted a small amount of WD40 into these too and everything is working perfectly.
:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 900 does the same thing. I finally said to hell with it. Folks in Atlanta don't use turn signals anyhow. I parked my bike for 3 yrs. because of how crazy they drive. Then when the gas went up I pulled her back out.

·
Registered
52 Posts
yea it's been a good bike. My riding buddy got hit from behind by an suv, at 10pm 3 weeks ago. He said he had his blinkers on waiting on traffic to clear. The young guy didn't see him and ran slap over him

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry, for digging up an old thread, but has anybody else found any other problems that would cause this?! Mine refuses to come on at all in cool weather (50 degrees this morning), I don't even hear the relay clicking! after it sits outside and warms up to maybe 60-65 it will do the fast click for about 10 seconds before it starts flashing the lights! and it seems spotty at best?! I'll try cleaning the switch as described above, but any other ideas?!

Also, when my lights DO flash, the gauges dim slightly as do the other exterior lights! I've checked all ground connection points and ohm tested all ground leads, and test ok! I can deal with the pulsing, but the no turn signals really irritates me...I can't STAND not using them haha!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts