Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing this quite a bit lately with my 08 to maneuver the bike around the sides of my house to where I keep it, pretty much every time I go riding. Can this be detrimental to the kickstand itself? My friend told me that the stand isn't designed to take all that weight and that it will bend or break after a while, but I don't really believe him. Still though... I wouldn't want to take the chance with my bike, and have it keel over one of these days!! Anybody have a definitive answer?

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Some have done it for ages and there is only one person that I know that broke the leading edge off. They didn't break the entire stand; just partially the flat part.

There is no definitive answer.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I've done it for many years and never had any problems at all.
My brother's VFR800 is way too heavy but you can turn that by putting it up on the main stand.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do it with my RC all the time. Just make sure it's on smooth concrete (i.e. - sidewalk, driveway.) I got to watch my buddy break the foot off his r6 doing it on a rough asphalt road. No real issues, just carved a notch in his puck and all is well once more.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I've been doing this quite a bit lately with my 08 to maneuver the bike around the sides of my house to where I keep it, pretty much every time I go riding. Can this be detrimental to the kickstand itself? My friend told me that the stand isn't designed to take all that weight and that it will bend or break after a while, but I don't really believe him. Still though... I wouldn't want to take the chance with my bike, and have it keel over one of these days!! Anybody have a definitive answer?
Yep Honda specifically say not to do that with the 08 as the stand is very light weight and not designed to take that stress:nono:

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
You mean it's actually in the owner's manual?

·
Banned
236 Posts
You must be mad :)

On a steel kickstand thats ok which is what most of the people in this thread are refering to the stand on the 08 is an aluminium alloy to keep the weight down and is only designed to keep your pride and joy from hitting the deck, PLEASE do not do it any more if you get so much as a stress fracture in the stand itself then when you go in to the garage and see your bike laying on the deck you will know why its there.

The stand is not even designed to take the full weight so thus far I would say you are seriously lucky to have not fooked it up by now.

Russ

·
Registered
3 Posts
When I worked at a Harley Davidson shop, we'd do it every once in awhile. Mostly on the Sportsters though. I couldn't imagine the higher ups letting us do it if anyone thought it might be bad on the bike.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah I have the 08........ crap. Can I get a stronger replacement stand? Its seriously a huge pain in the ass if I have to make a 17 point turn every time I'm about to take the bike out, especially because this area is on a slight incline.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Someone should do it til it breaks then post how long they last. Remember to keep count then when you find your bike laying on its side post the number.

Rick

·
Registered
833 Posts
Someone should do it til it breaks then post how long they last. Remember to keep count then when you find your bike laying on its side post the number.

Rick

I'll volunteer....as long as you guys supply me with the 08 blade to test with. :smilebig:

·
Banned
236 Posts
Yeah I have the 08........ crap. Can I get a stronger replacement stand? Its seriously a huge pain in the ass if I have to make a 17 point turn every time I'm about to take the bike out, especially because this area is on a slight incline.

If you ride it in back it out ???? Unless of course you cant touch the floor that well then just walk it out until you can ride it away. It may be a pain in the arse but surely its better than decking your bike.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Unless somebody knows of an instance of an '08 breaking it's kickstand this way I really wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts